Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
^^ Great news!! ^^
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Advance NC will pretty much be 0 now. Of course, if you do score the UG, it will be a nice ride.
Of course. If they succeed in creating a business model where most people sitting in C actually paid to do so (like every airline outside the U.S.), then it will increase the company's health.

I will certainly miss the Y->C and C->F SWU/CR-1 upgrades, though my success was limited anyway, but I can't say I am surprised at this mood.

At least they are keeping three-cabin F on long-haul routes, at least for now. That's good news.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You now have 50% more Y pax who have the ability to UG to C. Advance NC will pretty much be 0 now. Of course, if you do score the UG, it will be a nice ride.
C/F: 38->26

Y: 72->114

So they cut premium seats by 1/3 and increased Y seats by 60%.

Not to mention no increased legroom in UA's worst E+ cabin.

My best wishes to people in NYC/LA/SFO trying to find NC flying p.s.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
What will be the new config. for the 737-800 currently with 16FC and 144YC..?
Remove 1 row of E-, so 16F/138Y.

Originally Posted by kb1992
p.s. 757 has no E-.

But p.s. has the worst E+ seats.

Now 72 Y becomes 114Y. I bet there won't be an extra inch of legroom.
Yes, but note the announcement says "26 flat-bed Business Class seats and 114 in Economy" not "26 flat-bed Business Class seats and 114 in Economy Plus" so it's left ambiguous.

Originally Posted by cova
2. What is the arrangement of Lie Flat on CO's 767 and UA's 767-300? Anything other than 2-1-2 on the CO fleet.

3. Any 747-800s under consideration to replace the 744's?
2. 2-1-2 for sure.

3. I doubt it. Many-hub carriers don't need VLAs; they bought them in the past for range, but that's no longer necessary with the long range twins now available.

Originally Posted by quantumslip
i am curious to see if they are going to harmonize of the AVOD/IPE type being installed for the longhaul aircraft; UA charges for Y but CO does not.
And vv shorthaul, CO charges for Y IFE but UA does not. Will they harmonize there too?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UA just got 13 longhauls to add to the fleet by converting the domestic 763 fleet.
Given the limited number of premium seats (matching CO's existing Hawaii fleet) and lower engine thrust ratings, I suspect they'll be used for Hawaii rather than longhaul.

Last edited by mduell; Aug 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Bigger bins coming to over 150 aircraft. Beginning in March 2012, we’ll nearly double the size of the overhead bins on our 152 Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft. The larger bins will accommodate a standard 22-inch rolling bag with wheels facing out resulting in increased space of 66 percent. At the same time, we’ll also refresh the interiors of this fleet.

Am I missing something with this one? I always get my bag in the A319s/320s, lengthwise. I never noticed a difference between these bins and the 757 bins (or the CO bins for that matter).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Plat, Hoping VX will create a better elite plan
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
+1

F + C bins are "ok" size. Y bins are hardly big enough for a computer bag, much less a roller bag.
But my roller bag that easily fits wheels-first in the Airbii has to go in sideways in the 767. I always feel like a jerk doing that in C where there's also no underseat storage.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Umm I don't see anything I don't like.

<checks calendar>

Nope, not April 1. Odd.
So did I...then I even went a bit further asking IF it was April 1st somewhere else in the world!!

The P.S. change to 2-cabin would not be nice. The rest of the changes sound good though....hey..it is a change that I will like!!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by channa
Am I missing something with this one? I always get my bag in the A319s/320s, lengthwise. I never noticed a difference between these bins and the 757 bins (or the CO bins for that matter).
The 32s (ex-TED craft) had their closet removed and moved the A/V and safety equipment storage to the F bins. Without a closet, there are plenty of crew bags in the bins. The bins in the front are also not as large. They are probably going to add another row of seats and remove the closet and one side of the galley up front since there really are not F meals to speak of that don't come out of a box.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Thanks Scott for the nice bit of actual news from the company.

^ Channel 9
^ Q-400 F/E+
^ WiFi
^ Upgrading ghetto birds

I will accept the inevitable reality that UG on p.s. will be harder, especially on the popular 8 am LAX-JFK and 6 pm JFK-LAX runs that I frequently take. I will also rue the passing of row 9; I don't think the new configuration will end up leaving that much open space like the current one does.

Overall, these are changes I think I will like.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:45 pm

Looks like 3 cabin for long-haul routes is the way UA/CO is heading. This is what I was afraid of.

I travel mostly internationally, so domestic upgrades are not that important for me. I could care less about upgrading on a short domestic flight.

My company only allows me to purchase business on flights > 6 hours. No FC at all. So the only way I could sit in First is by using miles or a SWU.

I would much rather fly an airline that offers a two class configuration for the long-haul flights so that I can just purchase outright a decent business class seat instead of playing the upgrade game. Sorry but the UA biz class seats are a piece of crap (6 across on a 777 - ...!). I know that that the F class seats are nice, but I don't fly enough to count on getting SWUs and I don't want to rely on using miles for each long-flight to count on comfort.

The lack of a true two-class configuration on long-haul routes is a big downer for me. The old CO BizFirst/Coach two-class configuration on these routes were perfect for me. If they change this to three-class, I will be taking my business elsewhere.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Interesting that the 319/320 overhead storage is a bullet point, but not 767 overhead storage. We've never had trouble with our rollaboards on the 319/320, but the 767 overhead has never been big enough.
Excellent point. The 767 Ghetto Birds have atrocious overhead storage in Y.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
The Q400s have big weight and balance issues so this will help by pushing more of the weight to the back of the airplane. They will have an issue though if there is a full F class and full E+ and no one in E- they will have to get F or E+ passengers to move back.
Better news would have been getting rid of Colgan entirely.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UA just got 13 longhauls to add to the fleet by converting the domestic 763 fleet.

Oh, and they aren't going to stop converting the 777s to 3-class. (I am kind of surprised that they aren't converting the domestic 777s as well- to be 2-class flatbed planes).
Adding Channel 9 to the PMCO fleet, keeping the 777 3-class conversions on schedule, and not giving up F seats to add E+ to the PMCO fleet are finally changes I like.

Am I the only one who thinks that leaving the domestic 777's untouched signals that they aren't long for the fleet?

Someone earlier in this thread pointed out the odd timing of this press release. Maybe it's because I'm such a suspicious cynic at heart, but I wonder if the timing of this announcement has anything to do with the beating UA is taking over the rumored downgrade of the MP program.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm Reason: quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Improved long-haul comfort with more flat-bed seats. In September, we’ll begin installing all-new flat-bed seats in the premium cabins on 26 Boeing 767s – 12 Continental 767-400 aircraft and 14 United 767-300 aircraft (the ones currently in a domestic configuration). These aircraft will also have audio-video on demand and in-seat power from nose to tail.
Are you still planning on having these aircraft do Hawaii flights, or will they be reallocated to international and down-gauge HNL/OGG to 757s only? (Yes, there are domestic config 777s for time being presumably, but seems they're as worth of an update as the 767s)

Last edited by okrogius; Aug 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
Given the limited number of premium seats (matching CO's existing Hawaii fleet) and lower engine thrust ratings, I suspect they'll be used for Hawaii rather than longhaul.
I don't buy for a second that UA is going to tear out a bunch of F capacity from the ghetto birds, so they can sell flatbed seats to people going on a honeymoon to Maui, as opposed to selling them to business travelers going to Europe or Asia.

AS is making a killing flying 738s to Hawaii... with domestic F (in seats that get regularly panned on this board, they are the temp F seats CO uses on new planes for the time being). And as a matter of fact, you know who else flies narrowbodies on West Coast routes to Hawaii? CO.

So my prediction is that aside from the obvious cases where they HAVE to fly a widebody (ORD/IAH/EWR-HNL/OGG), they'll switch to narrowbodies out of the West Coast once they're getting the SOC- and they'll use the ex-ghetto birds on some longhaul service.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:58 pm

I'm just curious : How is united going to handle the phasing out of the 3 cabin format on p.s Flights?

Specifically, what is going to happen to the IFL ex JFK?
And what happens when you have a mix fleet thoughout 2012. Some p.s flights will be 2 cabin and some 3?

Will the 3 cabin service be completely discontinued in 2012?

As it is, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the C and F service now, other than the lounge. You used to get different menus in F and C, now its the same (as of this month).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Sorry but the UA biz class seats are a piece of crap (6 across on a 777 - ...!).
It's actually 8 across, and I still take it over the CO seat due to the vastly better seat pitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.