Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SAG/AFTRA end first class travel req -- PS F class impact?

Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-travel-43527

The two largest acting unions gave up the requirement for first class travel when on a 3 class aircraft in their latest contract.

They're even flying coach when 1000 miles or less...

Am guessing this somewhat factors into the decision re: 3 class service on the combined carrier. At least on the PS flights.

We'll see....but looks like better quality business class in recent years prob played a role in the concession being palatable.

Maybe we'll find some actresses on here scoping out elite upgrade tricks now that they're relegated to being in paid coach.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:19 pm

Maybe we'll see ps go 2 cabin with the current intl C as the F/C product and then E+. Wouldn't be so bad.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

And detail here indicates it goes into effect July 1 if ratified.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...Latest+News%29

Just hope we don't end up with 16 seat intl C cabins plying the routes in the name of fleet harmonization...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If they installed IPTE C on the p.s. birds, I think that would be pretty cool! Definitely better than the crappy hand-held video players! One JFK-SFO in September, I went through three devices before one would actually work..

The only downside, would be that the infinite legroom in row 9 would go away
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
The End of P.S.?

The Hollywood Reporter had an article today about how SAG/AFTRA won't require studios to pay for first or business for actors anymore for flights under 1000 miles and will only require business on a 3 class flight longer than 1000 miles. Seeing as these contracts were one of the biggest reasons the 3 class LAX-NYC flights made financial sense for airlines, I wonder--especially in light of the UA/CO merger--if 3 class transcons will soon be a thing of the past.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum
While many in hollywood were filling the F cabins on these flights, also remember there is a lot of connecting traffic from Asia to NYC that take advantage of these flights.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Last time I checked, JFK-LAX is more than 1000 miles.

As long as they need to do it for that purpose, they will keep it. I do think they might expand PS and PS-type operations to EWR and to TATL ops that have a significantly higher ratio of C to Y passengers; ZRH, BSL and GVA come to mind, maybe LHR too.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by entropy
Last time I checked, JFK-LAX is more than 1000 miles.

As long as they need to do it for that purpose, they will keep it. I do think they might expand PS and PS-type operations to EWR and to TATL ops that have a significantly higher ratio of C to Y passengers; ZRH, BSL and GVA come to mind, maybe LHR too.
More than 1000 miles only qualifies for business class travel now in 3 cabin aircraft.

First only allowed on 2 class planes.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
To directly answer the question.... It can't help PS.

While I assume it might put a damper on some of the F business LAX-JFK (and vv). As the article notes, several "stars" may be able to still negotiate F travel.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Maybe we'll see ps go 2 cabin with the current intl C as the F/C product and then E+. Wouldn't be so bad.
Maybe this would be a good use of some of continental's two class TATL aircraft?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2P
If PS works on SFO-JFK as well as LAX-JFK, that would seem to imply that the acting traffic isn't the only thing that makes the flights lucrative.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by fnothaft
If PS works on SFO-JFK as well as LAX-JFK, that would seem to imply that the acting traffic isn't the only thing that makes the flights lucrative.
Agree. I think the Asia-route-feeder aspects of both LAX and SFO are much more significant.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
16C isn't enough really... I could see them going to the CO BF seats up to the exit rows. Depending how they configured it, (? can they do it so that a Read/Forward set of footwells fit between the XR windows? ) they might be able to 32-38 lie flat C
that'd leave 17-18 rows (CO config) in Y (vs 12 for PS), so take out 1 row for E+ and call it 16 rows, that's 24 more Y seats vs the current config.

That's 38/96 =134 total seats +24 from where they are now with lie flat. I think the new management could really use that sort of plane: JFK/EWR/BOS-SFO/LAX, IAD/EWR-GVA/ZRH/BSL/LHR/BRU.

Agree. I think the Asia-route-feeder aspects of both LAX and SFO are much more significant.
Depends which routes.... Premium traffic that can will book on the nonstops out of EWR rather than connecting thru SFO/LAX when possible. CO serves the biggest of asian routes out of EWR.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 10, 2010 at 11:58 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So soon, psF will be exclusively employee class and federal air marshalls!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So soon, psF will be exclusively employee class and federal air marshalls!
Maybe this could get them to finally open up ps to UDU?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.