Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I got a call yesterday (from the ICC) to specifically inform me that the special meals (children's meals) I had requested for a flight next April would not be provided. The phone agent didn't offer any alternatives (cancelling, ??) but there's little I could have done anyway.
Seems that they might have a lot of phone calls to make...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
F domestic meal choice: Ham or Chicken. What about those who don't eat meat?

.... Especially now that there are no longer special meals offered?

Today (11/25), I flew ORD-LAX. As I don't eat meat, I asked for the economy cheese plate. The FA told me that I should have ordered a special meal. I explained the new situation. She rolled her eyes (not at me, but at the situation). She then told me that management is no longer allowing them to give the Y meals to F pax (but she made an exception for me).

I suppose I'll be packing my own meals now?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Write in and fill out those post-flight surveys; that's unfortunately about the only thing to be done.

At least UA has in the past been receptive to changing issues for which they get feedback.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by zrs70

Today (11/25), I flew ORD-LAX. As I don't eat meat, I asked for the economy cheese plate. The FA told me that I should have ordered a special meal. I explained the new situation. She rolled her eyes (not at me, but at the situation). She then told me that management is no longer allowing them to give the Y meals to F pax (but she made an exception for me).

I was only offered a mostly inedible chicken dish in C on a trans con ... Was told there were no other optons and this was a floght around 5/6 pm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: LH HON
Titel hinzufügen
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by zrs70

This is getting redicolous- How do I Change my user name?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: STARWOOD AMEX, DELTA
hindu meal?

I understand you can request a hindu meal - has anyone done that, what is it typically? Thinking its the closest thing to vegetarian you could get.

I'm flying United First (I) on a USair award (since 25k award travel doesn't seem to exist anymore, I went for First as its the same 50k mileage requirement as an economy!).
Old May 22, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drooth
I understand you can request a hindu meal - has anyone done that, what is it typically? Thinking its the closest thing to vegetarian you could get.

I'm flying United First (I) on a USair award (since 25k award travel doesn't seem to exist anymore, I went for First as its the same 50k mileage requirement as an economy!).
Is this for a domestic flight (or to Canada/Mexico)? If so, UA doesn't offer special meals any longer.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:25 pm

Domestic. I read (here) that there are still a few requests accepted: kosher, Hindu, etc. No?
Old May 22, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Domestic. I read (here) that there are still a few requests accepted: kosher, Hindu, etc. No?
I heard that is all gone now
Old May 23, 2012, 12:00 am

Vicious! Wow. So what kind of meal options are UA travelers getting on these segments? Trying to figure out if I should pack my own food or not!
Old May 23, 2012, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Vicious! Wow. So what kind of meal options are UA travelers getting on these segments? Trying to figure out if I should pack my own food or not!
which class of service??
If a meal flight
Economy: Buy on board

First: Choice of beef, chicken or vegetarian pasta
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html

Special meals
Special meals in North America are available in premium cabins on flights between:

Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX)
New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX)
The continental U.S. and Hawaii
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
No special meal in TATL Business class?

I booked a business class itinerarty for my parents where one segment is UA operated BRU-IAD. The itin. on UA shows "No special meals" - is that really true for TATL business class? If true - that is just abysmal....so I am hoping it is not true...can anybody confirm?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...l/default.aspx

Yes, special meals will be available.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Smile Vegetarian meal options

Now that the merger has come and gone and the food options are starting to settle, I thought it might be useful to have a thread here regarding vegetarian meal options on flights.

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian (non-vegan), I've gotten used to limited options. But I can usually find something to eat regardless of where I'm traveling since I'm not that picky. And there's always eggs and cheese in every culture! I'm fairly strict, however. No broth or fish sauce for me. And I have great sympathy for vegans...

United has apparently eliminated special meals altogether for most USA domestic flights, though p.s. still has them. The snack boxes have a few vegetarian choices, thankfully, but they're limited for vegans. Alas, the new United won't substitute a snack box for a first class meal anymore, so I've often had to pay for a box in F.

The domestic breakfast offerings always include cereal and yogurt. But the hot option (either omelet or sandwich) always has meat and cheese cooked into it. Thankfully, the cereal is less popular so I've always been able to get it even in the back row of first.

Lunch and dinner is another story altogether. The salad has chicken or shrimp. Although it's on the side, they always bring it on the tray even when I specifically ask for them not to. And the dressing is often (80%+) Caesar, complete with anchovies, with no substitute. Once, a helpful FA fetched me a nice balsamic from coach. But it's usually dry leaves or nothing. The too-common pepper soup is apparently made with chicken. So buy before you board, even in F.

Internationally, I've had great luck with the Hindu/Indian vegetarian meal. It's always available and united has always loaded it for me, even when I didn't all to confirm. But I still recommend calling ahead! One nice thing about a special meal is it's served early. This is very nice on international overnight flights since I can eat and get to sleep sooner.

I wish I knew how to make suggestions to United about meals. Stocking a non-fish vegan dressing like balsamic would be a great start. Separating the meat from the salads (and keeping it separate) would be even better.

And, vegetarian or not, a bit more variety in first would be nice. I fly weekly, and it's amazing to see the exact same meal on every flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.