Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weezl
Strange, if this change in special meal policy harmonizes with CO, how is it that I just requested a special meal on a CO non-transcon and the agent was able to enter it in?
While it may have been entered in, it remains to be seen if it actually processes and gets loaded on your flight.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
FAIL on the part of UA

just made aware of this change this morning as I was trying to request the HNML for tomorrow's flight SFO-IAD. The 1K agent was puzzled why the request was blocked, then found out about the changes and let me know.

Since I just paid for F (A fare), I'm not particularly pleased as I don't always want the same variation of ravioli/lasagna flight after flight (at 170k for the year, all domestic, so its a lot of flights). I used to say E+ and Ch 9 were the things that kept me loyal to United - but sometimes you don't realize until it is taken away how badly you want it.

I emailed 1K Voice today about it, got the canned "peak travel season, we are overwhelmed" (which is a pretty lame canned reply for mid-October). Also asked them why I still haven't received a reply back from my email about that horrific decaf coffee change.

Anyone have any suggestions of who else to email at the company about this?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
If they had restricted it to flights departing from UA int'l gateways that would be one thing, but the new policy just blows.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Well as a vegetarian and a current Chicago based AA EXP/CK who also just attained 1K status on UA, this is certainly very disappointing news. I have been struggling with which airline to emphasize in 2012 given AA's poor financial performance. Even though I can't order a special meal on AA, there is always a vegetarian option at dinner (though not for lunch).

This change in policy at United makes my decision much more easy. I am sticking with AA.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
They can take this harmony and shove it. I never thought UA F would become as bad as US, but here we are. What's next? Solo cups?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by RealFan
Even though I can't order a special meal on AA, there is always a vegetarian option at dinner (though not for lunch).

This change in policy at United makes my decision much more easy. I am sticking with AA.
For as long as I can remember, the pasta/lasagna dish at dinner is vegetarian. So not sure how that is any different from AAs offerings?

And FWIW, I think this no-special-meals thing is terrible, but it seems consistent w/the competition, right?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:49 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K

And FWIW, I think this no-special-meals thing is terrible, but it seems consistent w/the competition, right?
Not Delta. Special meals available in F on most domestic flights which offer a meal service.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The option is yours, but I have to think that picking an airline based on its food is like picking a restaurant based on the width of its seats.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Yep, CO's meal offerings in F almost always involve a veg option. Mid-con lunch is usually a salad (with chicken or shrimp, and you can ask for it without the meat) or a meat sandwich (I've been seeing that cheeseburger a lot lately). Mid-con dinner is usually a veg. pasta option (like ricotta-stuffed ravioli) and a meat option. The only time you might run into a problem is a shorter hop (like IAH-PHX) where you only get one option. In these cases, I agree that CO should offer a veg option.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The option is yours, but I have to think that picking an airline based on its food is like picking a restaurant based on the width of its seats.
I don't know about that. Some of us who pay for F do so for more than just a seat. If I were upgrading from Y I would not complain, but I actually switched all of my flights to UA largely do to the meals. Okay, so other factors (lounge network, etc) played into the over all decision, but as for onboard amenities in F - UA won with the food.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
For as long as I can remember, the pasta/lasagna dish at dinner is vegetarian. So not sure how that is any different from AAs offerings?

Is this still true? I thought I read that there were no vegetarian options at dinner after 10/1? I would really appreciate if someone who is regularly dining in F would please enlighten me. Thx.

For me, I am in meetings all day and often the meal on the plane is my first opportunity to eat all day. I am choosing AA right now because I am guaranteed a meal if I get upgraded. I would love some recent data on vegetarian meal offerings in F on UA.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would love some recent data on vegetarian meal offerings in F on UA.
As far as lunch goes, there typically are none in my experience. My wife usually gets the most separable meal and just takes the meat off.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ This made me chuckle.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Asian Vegetarian -- Discontinued?

On flight 901 yesterday and had a new excuse for a previously reserved (and verified as much as you can with the GS desk) Asian Vegetarian meal. The flight attendant explained to me that "Vegetarian meals have been discontinued as a result of the Continental merger" ... seriously, this was the explanation. I did not want to get into a fight by explaining that I had the same meal on flight 900 a few days ago.

Just funny the things FAs try to pass off. I would have far preferred ... it does not seem to have been loaded ... which I have heard many times in the past
-p
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
AFAIK, most of the special meals should still be available on international segments, but have been discontinued for domestic ones. Could be the FA was confusing the two and giving that as the reason.

See: Special meals discontinued for domestic flights over in the post-merger UACO forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.