Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Meat is murder...chey UA, corporate discrimation is so 20th century

obviously I don't come here much...and don't see this as a current topic.

Just found out for my flights last week that discrimation is the new corporate policy at United per the res agent I spoke with when re-confirming my paid F meal was put in as vegetarian from my travel department.

I'm just curious...is this widespread of just those who view meat as murder? Can a Jewish person get a kosher meal?

What's next at the new United? Minorities at the back of the plane if they can afford to buy first class? I hope that's as offensive as finding out United thinks it's now ok to openly discrimate to a range of people based on regilous, moral, health or for any other *&^ reason they chose not to eat factory farmed animals that have likely spent their short lives being tortured.

The only meal choices on my 3 F fligths where chicken and chicken. And, No taking a dead carcass off a salad when they are plated together does not make for a vegetarian meal...it more than not, would lead to a violently ill seat mate.

Simply unreal how UA is driving away paid first class fliers.

Is delta now the only world class airline left in this country that can serve a special meal in F within US and Caribbean? What about Virgin America?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Perhaps you're looking for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-10-1-a.html.

This is probably the wrong forum to engage in a conversation about whether it's OK to eat vegetables -- although I am a huge fan of rice, I struggle often with knowing that its harvest resulted in the deaths of countless rodents, snakes, frogs, and fish.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Jeff $misek doesn't care about vegetarian people
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by RealFan
Is this still true? I thought I read that there were no vegetarian options at dinner after 10/1? I would really appreciate if someone who is regularly dining in F would please enlighten me. Thx.

For me, I am in meetings all day and often the meal on the plane is my first opportunity to eat all day. I am choosing AA right now because I am guaranteed a meal if I get upgraded. I would love some recent data on vegetarian meal offerings in F on UA.
no vegetarian option...just chicken and more chicken. Is it that hard to load the salad without a chicken on top of it? Absolutely disgusting that it was on there so picking it off is not an option, especially given the health situation of eating something that has been touching meat.

UA has recieved my last paid F.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Veggie food tends to be cheaper too. So make that the new baseline. You can always bring something additional onto the aircraft, right?
I like this as part of the new United. The basic meal offering is a plate of lettuce. If you want anything else in F you have to pay for it. My only assumption is Smisek's brother, mother, father, someone in his family...must have a lucrative "in" at one of those factory farm companies.

I would think $10 extra for a chicken breast in F should be accreditive to the bottom line now that F is free...learned my lesson not to book it any more.

Originally Posted by UAGuy2
Exotic meals for people is much more narrowly tailored service that matters to a vocal but small and relatively unimportant minority.
this is somewhat laughable. I really would hate to think how inferior the meat UA serves is if this is true. the Asian vegetarian meal is usually a plate with rice, and something along the lines of peas and cheese chunks and garbanzo beans in a spicy tomato sauce. It can't cost more than $5...and it's not like there's only 1 served a day...I'd shudder to think what grade the meat UA is serving is actually rated if an AVML is too expensive for an F passenger compared to the regular first meals I've seen.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:50 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:45 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mike1968
obviously I don't come here much...and don't see this as a current topic.

Just found out for my flights last week that discrimation is the new corporate policy at United per the res agent I spoke with when re-confirming my paid F meal was put in as vegetarian from my travel department.

I'm just curious...is this widespread of just those who view meat as murder? Can a Jewish person get a kosher meal?

What's next at the new United? Minorities at the back of the plane if they can afford to buy first class? I hope that's as offensive as finding out United thinks it's now ok to openly discrimate to a range of people based on regilous, moral, health or for any other *&^ reason they chose not to eat factory farmed animals that have likely spent their short lives being tortured.

The only meal choices on my 3 F fligths where chicken and chicken. And, No taking a dead carcass off a salad when they are plated together does not make for a vegetarian meal...it more than not, would lead to a violently ill seat mate.

Simply unreal how UA is driving away paid first class fliers.

Is delta now the only world class airline left in this country that can serve a special meal in F within US and Caribbean? What about Virgin America?
How exactly, does offering all races, religions and preferences the exact same meal discriminate? I thought discrimination was about giving different treatment to different types of people. It may not be to your discriminative tastes (proper use of the word,) but it sure isn't discrimination.

edit: I just looked up the word, and my definition fits the definions offered online, where your example is pretty much the opposite. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination People take you much more seriously when you don't cry "racism, discrimantion, rape" or other inflamatory terms used to incite than when you use accurate discriptive terms that fit the situation.

I believe the original post should be removed (and all subsequent posts) as it is clearly a flase statement used to improperly incite, and if the OP has something accurate to post, he/she can do that properly.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the particular situation you refer to when you bring up "the health situation of eating something that has been touching meat". I am assuming that since the food will be passing along numberous organs of yours on the way thru your body, that it will be touching "meat" along it's digestive path. One may object to meat for many reasons (ethics/morals/religion/health..) but unless something is bacteria laden (like the cantelopes <not meat> that have recently killed 18 and seriously sickened over 100, <and counting>) the mere fact that your food touched meat isn't really a huge heatlh concern, although on the other gounds (i.e. a religious diet) I can see your point...but you didn't argue on religious grounds, your argued on health concerns, and as we have seen. Last years salamonella outbreak (meat) killed far less that the listeria carrying fruit this year. (not arguing that a carnivorous diet is healthier than a vegan one, just stating that the process of touching meat is not in and of itself, an unhealthy thing.) The fat that jumps from your grilled chicken onto the lettuce, I doubt is going to shorten the lifespan of anyone, even if they ate nothing but fat touched lettuce every day of their lives.

Last edited by fastair; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:58 pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
this is somewhat laughable. I really would hate to think how inferior the meat UA serves is if this is true. the Asian vegetarian meal is usually a plate with rice, and something along the lines of peas and cheese chunks and garbanzo beans in a spicy tomato sauce. It can't cost more than $5...and it's not like there's only 1 served a day...I'd shudder to think what grade the meat UA is serving is actually rated if an AVML is too expensive for an F passenger compared to the regular first meals I've seen.

The issue is not the cost of the food products themselves. As you've pointed out, the food itself may be cheaper.

It's the handling and management of the exceptions that they likely have a problem with.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold

What's next at the new United? Minorities at the back of the plane if they can afford to buy first class?
Why if? Are you saying that minorities are less likely to be able to afford first class?

Prejudicial attitudes like that make me physically ill.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Jeff $misek doesn't care about vegetarian people
He's not fond of the non-vegetarian crowd either.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
How exactly, does offering all races, religions and preferences the exact same meal discriminate? I thought discrimination was about giving different treatment to different types of people. It may not be to your discriminative tastes (proper use of the word,) but it sure isn't discrimination.

edit: I just looked up the word, and my definition fits the definions offered online, where your example is pretty much the opposite. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination People take you much more seriously when you don't cry "racism, discrimantion, rape" or other inflamatory terms used to incite than when you use accurate discriptive terms that fit the situation.

I believe the original post should be removed (and all subsequent posts) as it is clearly a flase statement used to improperly incite, and if the OP has something accurate to post, he/she can do that properly.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the particular situation you refer to when you bring up "the health situation of eating something that has been touching meat". I am assuming that since the food will be passing along numberous organs of yours on the way thru your body, that it will be touching "meat" along it's digestive path. One may object to meat for many reasons (ethics/morals/religion/health..) but unless something is bacteria laden (like the cantelopes <not meat> that have recently killed 18 and seriously sickened over 100, <and counting>) the mere fact that your food touched meat isn't really a huge heatlh concern, although on the other gounds (i.e. a religious diet) I can see your point...but you didn't argue on religious grounds, your argued on health concerns, and as we have seen. Last years salamonella outbreak (meat) killed far less that the listeria carrying fruit this year. (not arguing that a carnivorous diet is healthier than a vegan one, just stating that the process of touching meat is not in and of itself, an unhealthy thing.) The fat that jumps from your grilled chicken onto the lettuce, I doubt is going to shorten the lifespan of anyone, even if they ate nothing but fat touched lettuce every day of their lives.
We don't agree that often but +1 to this comment!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
He's not fond of the non-vegetarian crowd either.
But there seem to be more and more indications that he favors those who eat cake...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:12 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Firewind
But there seem to be more and more indications that he favors those who eat cake...
I wish FT had a "like button" like FB! Good one!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:11 pm

My blood is boiling. Wednesday (11/2) my wife and two children (8 and 6 years old) flew first class and were not provided gluten free meals (although said meals were confirmed before we flew). On board, I was told that United was not serving any special meals after 10/1. Annoyed at this, I called 1K service. First, I was told that no special meals were being offered to domestic first class. When I said that I thought it was only some meals and that gluten free meals were still offered, he apologized, said that I was correct, and was going to confirm that we were supposed to receive gluten-free meals on their return flights on Sunday. After a long hold, he came back and said that while United claims to offer special meals (excluding diabetic, low sodium and a few others which were stopped) he was unable to reserve a special meal for my family.

What gives?

Bob
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by clements
What gives?
Just read the website ...

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...,51499,00.html
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:15 am

no vegetarian option...just chicken and more chicken. Is it that hard to load the salad without a chicken on top of it? Absolutely disgusting that it was on there so picking it off is not an option, especially given the health situation of eating something that has been touching meat.
I flew UA for the first time since the change this week.

The FA who claimed herself to be veg tried to get me to 'just remove the chicken', claimed that chicken stock in soup wasn't an issue, and didn't know that the cookies have lard (as confirmed by UA various times in past)

I asked if I could just have the breadsticks and the SunChips and was told that if I wasn't 'ordering' a meal I couldn't just have the side items.

Her 'solution' was to offer me a BOB meal and charge me for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.