Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:27 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
The drinks charge in Y on TATL & SA routes started in Jan 2006 or 07.

You can order special meals for Int'l flts.

Vegan, Gluten Free, Kosher, Asian veg, & Muslim I know are still avail.

NOT avail and will NOT be provide for you by catering (but you maybe still in your profile or the Res agent took your request) Low Fat, Low Cal,Vegetarian, Seafood, Fruit Plate.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by vvortex1
I just flew ORD-FRA with a gluten-free meal confirmed long in advance, and during the flight the FA told me that UA doesn't do special meals at all anymore. If that's true, United is really throwing its customers with food allergies under a bus. I'm returning LHR-IAH-SEA with a tight connection, and that is going to be no fun at all with no food.

She also said that this has been the case for at least a year, but that's not right, because I had no trouble in February. Anyone know what the current policy is and when it changed? I saw an earlier thread that mentioned discontinuing special meals for specific arrival/departure cities, but ORD and FRA weren't on the list.
After a long time on the phone, I finally got to the truth of the matter. The FA, despite sounding like she'd been around for a while, was just wrong. And the res agent who put in the GF meal request botched it. UA blamed SHARES, blamed the merger, and blamed the fact that it was a codeshare. They won't provide any technical details about what magic incantation is needed to get it right or what to tell res agents in the future to avoid going hungry on a 12-hour flight.

However, I did find out that it's possible to confirm special meal requests at the gate. Of course that's too late to fix it, but if they got it wrong at time of booking (has happened to me twice now), then that leaves enough time to get something at the terminal.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Angry

I now have special (though broad in their application) meal requirements. So, the practical application of vvortex1's experience is that if one flies United Business Class long haul and has such a need, one must bring one's own meals. Moreover, it's this takeaway: Fly Star Alliance long haul.

United, what a mess of a mess. (Double entendre c'est entendre.)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How are the UA international gluten free meals? I was with a traveler on AA in July that ordered a gluten free meal, and she said the meal was so disgusting she could not eat it (some type of fish dish). She ended up getting a chicken tikka masala dish that was left over after the meal service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.