Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:42 pm
eap
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Thumbs down Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

It is late, but this sort of "harmonization" makes my blood boil.

As a matter of convenience for the corporation and as part of the ongoing “harmonization” between the UA and CO subsidiaries, the company will be discontinuing low volume dietary meal categories.
In addition, special meals will no longer be available in any class on most domestic flights in addition to Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

Special meals will be available in the premium cabins in select domestic markets to include flights from New York (JFK) & Newark (EWR) to/from San Francisco and Los Angeles as well as on flights to Hawaii.
For more details, read the entire article on the United AFA's site:
http://www.unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=6430
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Another change I hate, Jeffrey. You can't leave soon enough.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Latin America!? So Argentina, Brazil, and the like are part of this move?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This is a joke. Especially if CO's catering takes over, as they frequently only have red meat in the front on red eyes and only beef or pasta on others. If I can't order a special meal, I really don't want to be stuck hungry or with CO's awful, sickly sweet red sauce.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's been this way on CO for a long time, before Smisek took over.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They're taking the "best of both worlds."
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
This is horrible, I've been on too many flights when the only thing offered is something I just dont eat, and the snack boxes have slid into total unhealthy and dislike categories, as well. Guess I don't have to wait to see if I clear, it's going to be buy something from inside the terminal across the board.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended

CO did away with special meals I recall about 2-3 years ago - at least the ones i ordered on TATL. I think CO has been on course to sink back to mediocrity in the last few years after having risen to the top of the legacy pile which is really only a moderate compliment.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The unfortunate consequence of UDU/EUA freebies. UACO has to make a decision. Either improve the domestic F soft product and sell it as that or allow it to continue the slide and rename it E++. I would be thrilled so see a better F soft product, including special meals and am willing to pay for it.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by channa
They're taking the "best of both worlds."
As companies most often do.

At least they didn't market this as an "enhancement" but rather convenience (to UA).
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I gave up on UA special meals some months ago they were SO bad. I still remember the white hockey puck that was supposed to be gluten free bread on my flight from NRT to LAX it looked and smelled mouldy and was hard as a rock you could use it for sports. Horrible horrible stuff. In contrast have had very nice special meals on AA, LH, and some other airlines. I still remember the little personal bottle of balsamic vinaigrette on my AA transcon from LAX to BOS. Stark contrast to the wilted lettuce and wilted lemon wedge on UA.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:28 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
&%$# United.
$*@# Continental.
@#$* Smisek.

For some of us, a special-order meal is not a luxury, but a REQUIREMENT. If my wife eats anything containing gluten, she's perhaps hospital-bound, and at a minimum in bed for 3 days...She's on the 'severe' side of the scale with her Celiac Disease.

She flies weekly, often to the west coast (and is also a 1K). Often times, her special meal in flight is her only meal for the day. None of the airports she visits offer gluten-free items at the kiosks, and I don't have to tell any of you about how nearly impossible it is to bring many items through security. Gluten= wheat = breads, pastas, pizza, breaded-anything. It's not like she can pick up a sandwich at the airport or even a Whopper on her way to the airport.

I agree with one of the posters above, this is yet another byproduct of UDU. Since they're giving F away for free, they have no excuse to put any sort of a palatable soft product out there.

There are a lot of straws on the camel's back. Wonder how many more he can hold.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This is yet another step in making COdbaUA the world's leading airline
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Latin America!? So Argentina, Brazil, and the like are part of this move?

I'm sure by "Latin America", they mean Mexico and Central America, not South America.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Often1
The unfortunate consequence of UDU/EUA freebies. UACO has to make a decision. Either improve the domestic F soft product and sell it as that or allow it to continue the slide and rename it E++. I would be thrilled so see a better F soft product, including special meals and am willing to pay for it.
UDU doesn't have anything to do with it. If CO/UA want to sell more F class seats, they can restrict the upgrade inventory. They could even come up with a separate booking class for CR-1 or SWU upgrades and give more availability in that.

CO/UA paid F class fares have been going up lately, which isn't going to boost the number of paid bookings. As far as I can tell, CO/UA is not interested in the domestic pre-paid F class passenger (other than p.s. flights). They would much rather upgrade an Elite for free or sell an upgrade at check-in for $50 or $200 or whatever.

US Airways recently improved their First Class meals (albeit they were horrifyingly bad before the improvements) and they've been unlimited for preferreds for over a decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.