Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jstarz927
Hi everyone, I'm looking to book an award flight on United on Feb 2, 2015 SFO > PEK. When I search for award tickets, economy saver awards are available for the non-stop flight but no business saver awards. Browsing the seating chart shows me that all business class seats on the 747 are open except for 2.
Are those two occupied seats 6B & 6J by chance?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
It's a moot point as the flight he was asking about was about seven months ago.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
It's a moot point as the flight he was asking about was about seven months ago.
So, why would he post it just 3 days ago?
Looks more like a typo and the flight in question is February 2016.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jstarz927
Hi everyone, I'm looking to book an award flight on United on Feb 2, 2015 SFO > PEK. When I search for award tickets, economy saver awards are available for the non-stop flight but no business saver awards. Browsing the seating chart shows me that all business class seats on the 747 are open except for 2. Should I hold out for United to open up additional business saver awards, or am I out of luck even this far in advance?
My experience would say you are out of luck even this far in advanced. This has happened to me several times out of SFO on international flights (not PEK). I have tried waiting for the seats to open up and ultimately ended up buying the business class tickets for ridiculously high prices. JMHO
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
My experience would say you are out of luck even this far in advanced. This has happened to me several times out of SFO on international flights (not PEK). I have tried waiting for the seats to open up and ultimately ended up buying the business class tickets for ridiculously high prices. JMHO
Many here (including myself) have had different experiences. If you have reasonable expectations, flexibility and patience, and check diligently,something usually turns up.

If you look at SFO-PEK over the next thirty days, you will see numerous options in both J and F - some on UA metal, some on partners.

On the other hand, if you must fly SFO-CDG nonstop in business class in June, well, that's a different story. But that's not a reasonable expectation given the current award climate.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many here (including myself) have had different experiences. If you have reasonable expectations, flexibility and patience, and check diligently,something usually turns up.

If you look at SFO-PEK over the next thirty days, you will see numerous options in both J and F - some on UA metal, some on partners.

On the other hand, if you must fly SFO-CDG nonstop in business class in June, well, that's a different story. But that's not a reasonable expectation given the current award climate.
To your point on reasonable expectations... Admittedly this did happened to me last year on a SFO-MUC flight. I tried months in advanced and nothing opened up as J and F slowly filled, apparently with cash pay customers. It turned out I needed to be in MUC one week prior to Oktoberfest! Didn't initially know this (Oktoberfest dates) but later an agent did explain to me that this was why I was getting shut out for months. Ended up buying a F ticket for a ridiculous amount of $$$.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed, or SFO-FRA n/s for that matter.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Yes indeed. And yes, as others mentioned, I made a typo in the year - I'm looking for a flight out on Feb 2, 2016 lol. Still nothing :-/
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Hi everyone, I'm looking for 2 saver business or first class tickets for my parents from HKG to LAX. Any day between 10/28 and 11/10 (i.e. in the next 3-4 weeks) will be fine. I searched UA website on and off for weeks, but the only saver tickets I can find are the ones by Asiana with 10-hour layover in Seoul. Since my parents are quite elderly (both over 80), that's not acceptable. Could some one point give me some ideas? or let me know how to find saver tickets? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Release Date for Saver Business Fares to Central America

I travel a bit down to Mexico and Guatemala. Previously, if I was booking 4 or 5 months out, I'd have no trouble finding saver fares in business. Now, it's nearly impossible. For example, I'm trying to book from BWI to GUA and IAH to GUA in March and, although the business class cabins on basically every flight have zero sold seats, I can't get a saver fare.

Has United recently changes its policy on when these seats are released? Is it worth waiting, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the darn ticket? (I'm fine in coach, but I'm buying for my dad, too, and he'll need the comfort of the larger seat.)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:37 pm

Whenever the company wants to. You're talking about Spring Break time so it is possible that the release schedule will be different. Or non-existent. Or tomorrow.

There is no set schedule.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nmprisons
although the business class cabins on basically every flight have zero sold seats
Why do people think this means anything? What is the logic?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
The logic is simple: If there are only a few potential seats in first remaining, then the company is far less likely to make them available at a reduced price, and if there has been no demand for those seats, then the company is far more likely to make them available at a reduced price.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmprisons
... if there has been no demand for those seats, then the company is far more likely to make them available at a reduced price.
But inferring that means saver award seats, that is the break from past. Instead of awards seats being among the first options for unloading excess inventory, there are many other options used first today. That is a fundamental change in the dynamics we are seeing.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Why do people think this means anything? What is the logic?
I understand why people would think it's relevant . . . it used to make sense to me, too.

Even for those of us who now know a little something about how award and upgrade inventory are managed, the process is still mostly a mystery from outside the black box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.