Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:31 pm

R space is an upgrade, right? What's the code for a C class award seat? Anyone ever seen these on this route?

Deb

Last edited by goalie; Oct 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm Reason: removed one word for better flow
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DebBrown
R space is an upgrade, right? ...
yes , R/RN
.... What's the code for a C class award seat? ...
yes , I/IN

see wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html for more

....Anyone ever seen these on this route ...
Yes, AMS is "easier" to find than LHR or FRA
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:59 pm

Quick question re UA from EWR to India

We've used UA points for multiple flights in the past, but we've been watching for United saver possibilities from EWR to DEL for a couple of months now and no luck. Our trip to a wedding in India is for February 2016. Does anyone have any idea about whether there are ever any saver seats made available on UA flight from EWR to DEL?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ReadyforNextTrip
We've used UA points for multiple flights in the past, but we've been watching for United saver possibilities from EWR to DEL for a couple of months now and no luck. Our trip to a wedding in India is for February 2016. Does anyone have any idea about whether there are ever any saver seats made available on UA flight from EWR to DEL?
Saver coach yes. Saver Business/First I would not count on it if your schedule is not flexible like wedding plans.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ReadyforNextTrip
I see lots of availability on partners in both economy and business throughout February. The UA nonstop is obviously much tougher. If you have to fly on specific days, you may have to be a bit flexible in terms of your routing.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
It takes patience and persistence. Inventory opens up all the time, but often not in the class you want.

It's a great search engine.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Star Alliance Award release schedule

Is there a schedule of *A airlines listing the approximate date at which they release saver award seats to MileagePlus?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:29 pm

Is this at last, all UAL miles are good for, shopping?

What a journey it has been. From loyal UAL flyer where my wife and I have 750k miles, recalling the days where we always flew United to Hawaii, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Through a combination of buying F, upgrading coach, we represented a healthy combined revenue share to UA.

A few years back, as both Silvers or PremEx (varied by year), Smisek destroyed any incentive to remain, and we switched to US Air, which strangely enough, proved much better, with about 40% complimentary first class upgrade rates out of their PHX hub, with affordable Business (Envoy) class upgrades to Europe which were mostly available, whereas UA by comparison was trying to make us lucky to get split at T-24 hours to get E+.

I recall initially how the move to eject silvers out of E+ was thought about Smisek deeply concerned to 'protect' the E+ cabin for their high 1k+ flyers; how funny, what rose colored glasses that turned out to be.

Back to United, my wife and are sitting on 500k miles with zero EQMs, and have been trying to work a 8-12 dayish vacation plan around these. Literally, almost nothing is available to Europe or South Pacific in a Business or better cabin. And UA has lost my confidence, I would not consider flying UA coach over a pond, even for free. I tried searching many major European capitals: FRA, Munich, Brussels, CDG, Spain, even LHR and buying connections from there.... From ORD, from SFO, from LAX, from DEN. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Not in Q1 16, Q2 16, Q4 15. Nothing. Star alliance LH premium cabin has also become very hard. Plenty of economy seats, but I just don't want to spend my vacation on UA economy over the pond.

So what to do? Should I just cash these miles in for a couple mac laptops, a TV or two?

Are others in my situation, sitting on many miles, unwilling to spend time on UA economy over the pond, doing what I would never have considered, cash the mileage for shopping, then be done, completely, once and for all, with UA?

John
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jsmirand
What a journey it has been. From loyal UAL flyer where my wife and I have 750k miles, recalling the days where we always flew United to Hawaii, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Through a combination of buying F, upgrading coach, we represented a healthy combined revenue share to UA.

A few years back, as both Silvers or PremEx (varied by year), Smisek destroyed any incentive to remain, and we switched to US Air, which strangely enough, proved much better, with about 40% complimentary first class upgrade rates out of their PHX hub, with affordable Business (Envoy) class upgrades to Europe which were mostly available, whereas UA by comparison was trying to make us lucky to get split at T-24 hours to get E+.

I recall initially how the move to eject silvers out of E+ was thought about Smisek deeply concerned to 'protect' the E+ cabin for their high 1k+ flyers; how funny, what rose colored glasses that turned out to be.

Back to United, my wife and are sitting on 500k miles with zero EQMs, and have been trying to work a 8-12 dayish vacation plan around these. Literally, almost nothing is available to Europe or South Pacific in a Business or better cabin. And UA has lost my confidence, I would not consider flying UA coach over a pond, even for free. I tried searching many major European capitals: FRA, Munich, Brussels, CDG, Spain, even LHR and buying connections from there.... From ORD, from SFO, from LAX, from DEN. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Not in Q1 16, Q2 16, Q4 15. Nothing. Star alliance LH premium cabin has also become very hard. Plenty of economy seats, but I just don't want to spend my vacation on UA economy over the pond.

So what to do? Should I just cash these miles in for a couple mac laptops, a TV or two?

Are others in my situation, sitting on many miles, unwilling to spend time on UA economy over the pond, doing what I would never have considered, cash the mileage for shopping, then be done, completely, once and for all, with UA?

John
I feel your pain....

After 30 years of using miles for our yearly F vacations on UA, it is tougher and tougher to get these premium seats. Where we used to go in F on UA, we sometimes need to book J on a partner.

That being said, just came back from LHR, and flew UA F both ways. We are also scheduled next year to return from FRA in F. Unfortunately our trip to Asia is in J on a partner as UA F did not open up on the right date for us...yet.

Keep trying. Reserve in a lower class, and keep on checking because J and F do sometimes open up....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by jsmirand

John
Here's a quick search of SFO-FRA in FEB/MAR 2016 - tons of award space in J, mostly all with LH (which is much preferable anyway). I'm not sure you were looking in the right places? It may be worth it to use an award booking agency if you don't want to put in the effort to look for flights.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kthpence
Here's a quick search of SFO-FRA in FEB/MAR 2016 - tons of award space in J, mostly all with LH (which is much preferable anyway). I'm not sure you were looking in the right places? It may be worth it to use an award booking agency if you don't want to put in the effort to look for flights.
Virtually all the "availability" reflected by the green on that calendar consists of connecting itineraries with a lengthy domestic segment in Y. And of course nothing on UA metal - all 70K one-way partner awards. Saver TATL business awards from SFO are really tough . . . easier from ORD, IAD or EWR.

I don't think there's any question that UA long-haul award availability has gotten consistently worse over the past six months (and it wasn't that great six months ago). I have noticed in particular that UA doesn't release I on TPACs even on flights that are R9 and have a wide open J cabin. Not even within 24 hours of departure.

And yet they continue to heavily push miles for sale. If they didn't have the ADA to protect them, they would get sued for deceptive marketing practices.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 4, 2015 at 8:23 am Reason: added SFO vs. ORD/IAD/EWR
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:32 am

Agent on phone release Saver availability

I want to share my experience of having a United agent on the phone releasing two saver award spaces for me.

I booked two saver award business class seats on AMS-YYZ-DEN flight on Air Canada. I made the booking in summer 2015 for flight in October 2015. At that time, United had a special deal where we can book on partner flight for 57,500 miles instead of the usual 70,000 miles.

Fast forward a few months later, I had to make a change on the schedule due to work, and conveniently, I saw the YYZ-DEN flight also had an aircraft change and schedule change. So I tried to find availability for AMS-whatever airport-DEN. After spending sometime, I found some convoluted route AMS-DUB-YYZ-YYC-DEN with only the transatlantic portion in business and the rest in economy (for two people).

I called United asking to get this new route due to schedule change of the original flight, and yet the United agent offered me a simple route: AMS-IAD-DEN. I said "But United.com shows that route is only available on Standard award." Agent said "Yes, but I can open two Saver Award seats for you because of the schedule change on your Toronto-Denver flight." Since it was due to schedule change, I did not have to pay the award change fee or the $75 close-in booking fee.

So, I was surprised that agent had the ability to open such availability. In the end, I get to spend 2 x 57,500-mile Saver Award even though United.com showed no Saver availability. FYI, I have no status with United.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Virtually all the "availability" reflected by the green on that calendar consists of connecting itineraries with a lengthy domestic segment in Y. And of course nothing on UA metal - all 70K one-way partner awards. Saver TATL business awards from SFO are really tough . . . easier from ORD, IAD or EWR.

I don't think there's any question that UA long-haul award availability has gotten consistently worse over the past six months (and it wasn't that great six months ago). I have noticed in particular that UA doesn't release I on TPACs even on flights that are R9 and have a wide open J cabin. Not even within 24 hours of departure.

And yet they continue to heavily push miles for sale. If they didn't have the ADA to protect them, they would get sued for deceptive marketing practices.
Not really, no. Mostly all of what I saw was SFO-SEA-FRA, so only 2 hours in X, which can be waitlisted and potentially moved into I. To me, that's not too bad at all, and I much prefer to spend the miles on *A instead of UA TATL, especially when you are stuck on EIGHT abreast in J on the 777.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:47 pm

I want to thank you for re-encouraging me to search. When I ranted yesterday, it was a reflection of many months of searching the last of which was about a month back, and over summer and early fall, my recollection was a much much lower level of awards and I became fairly discouraged at the ability to construct a premium cabin itinerary abroad for a roughly 10 day trip.

Encouraged by your posting, I searched again today and found a workable itinerary, my wife and I on global first from ORD to MUC, then CDG back to SFO.

But we begin from PHX. When I added PHX as my true start point instead of a larger gateway city to Europe, all the global first and many business class options would disappear.

Overall I can deal with funding our domestic segment to ORD or a return home from SFO (possibly may go domestic on AA as that is where I transitioned elite level and UA didn't make it easier on that portion of the award anyhow), the important thing was to translate the UA miles into a substantial over the pond premium cabin experience. So thank you... I guess no two free mac books for now, or maybe I have miles for one mac book after this booking.

John
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:59 pm

Not really, no. Mostly all of what I saw was SFO-SEA-FRA, so only 2 hours in X, which can be waitlisted and potentially moved into I. To me, that's not too bad at all, and I much prefer to spend the miles on *A instead of UA TATL, especially when you are stuck on EIGHT abreast in J on the 777.
Much of what I saw was ex-ORD, EWR, or IAD. So minimum 3.5 hours in Y if you're trying to fly from SFO. And see OP's response, above . . . unable to find any connectors to PHX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.