Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A general caution that can be seen from a review of this thread is award availability is not on a rigid, regular schedule.
Right, but I imagine their inventory is updated at the same time everyday. Asking how many days out a saver award is released seems to be impossible to know but I'd like to think there is a time each day the inventory is updated. In any event, I ended up getting the tickets I needed so it doesn't impact me right now but it would still be helpful for others to know.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by mh1361
I'm looking for economy saver tickets on a specific route and was wondering if anyone knows what time the inventory is updated each night/morning. I found a post from a couple years ago but I didn't find anything more definitive or recent.

"I did some more experimentation last night but I fell asleep for a couple of hours in the middle of my testing so I didn't get the definitive answer. The awards were not loaded by midnight pacific time. The new awards were active sometime before 3 AM pacific. So, I'm thinking they load on the hour and that this means that the awards would have been loaded either at 1 AM pacific (4 AM eastern) or 2 AM pacific (5 AM eastern). I'll try to confirm this another night."
You going to wake up in the middle of the night to check it? Thanks let us know. I think you are pretty close on your times from my experience anyway.

I have not seen it change in the middle of the day for me, which is always to SEAsia.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
You going to wake up in the middle of the night to check it? Thanks let us know. I think you are pretty close on your times from my experience anyway.

I have not seen it change in the middle of the day for me, which is always to SEAsia.
That was a quote from skimthetrees back in June of 2012.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I want to fly LAX-EZE in Business F, flexible days, booking within next week?

Am wondering how successful most folks are with waiting until the very last day or 2 before a flight before booking a ticket.

I want to go in BusinessFirst or First, and i want the Saver award level

I am searching months in advance, and once in a while, a flight will pop up , usually on crappy partners like Copa

HOWEVER, I am noticing on a somewhat regular basis, availability on the day of or day before departure (e.g., if I wanted to fly in the next few hours, there is a flight LAX-IAH, then the IAH-EZE connecting flight TODAY available for 55K miles - an excellent deal !)

Do some of you do this on a regular basis, i.e., wait until the very last minute?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by caseminole
Do some of you do this on a regular basis, i.e., wait until the very last minute?
If the trip is critical, not unless I have a confirmed and acceptable back-up plan.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if the trip is flexible, this is a perfectly viable strategy and i've used it regularly. if you need to be there on a specific day for a specific duration of time, consider booking something less desirable (ie, standard award or saver on CM) and then changing to saver if/when it opens up at the last minute.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another (back-up) option is to look at flights into Brazil (GIG, GRU), with a "local" connection to/from EZE.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if the trip is flexible, this is a perfectly viable strategy and i've used it regularly. if you need to be there on a specific day for a specific duration of time, consider booking something less desirable (ie, standard award or saver on CM) and then changing to saver if/when it opens up at the last minute.
+1 to this strategy.. Although, South America is probably one of the harder regions to do this given the lack of routes & connections available. Think about it, *A into EZE: IAH direct, orrrr SCL connection with AC? GRU connection? Then Copa.. that's really it?

On the flip, Europe is much easier to capitalize on this strategy due to the amount of partners, connections and direct routes.

Also, lack of lie-flats aside. I personally wouldn't rate Copa as "crappy". I've had several great experiences on them with little to no IRROPS.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by caseminole
Am wondering how successful most folks are with waiting until the very last day or 2 before a flight before booking a ticket.

I want to go in BusinessFirst or First, and i want the Saver award level

I am searching months in advance, and once in a while, a flight will pop up , usually on crappy partners like Copa

HOWEVER, I am noticing on a somewhat regular basis, availability on the day of or day before departure (e.g., if I wanted to fly in the next few hours, there is a flight LAX-IAH, then the IAH-EZE connecting flight TODAY available for 55K miles - an excellent deal !)

Are you searching only for the entire route, or just the main (IAH->EZE) segment for C/F availability?

I have noticed many times that the domestic flight is the limiting factor of late. If the main segment is available, you can book it and then tack on the domestic portion when it opens up...or worst case, pay for revenue flight to position to IAH.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Are you searching only for the entire route, or just the main (IAH->EZE) segment for C/F availability?

I have noticed many times that the domestic flight is the limiting factor of late. If the main segment is available, you can book it and then tack on the domestic portion when it opens up...or worst case, pay for revenue flight to position to IAH.
usually i look for the whole route, but i have also used this strategy as well.

If I know I can get a confirmed BF seat IAH-EZE even if it means a coach seat for the LAX-IAH routing, I will do it.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:10 am

United F Class Saver awards EU-USA Low Season

Looking at some award availability on New Years Day (which I thought was a light travel day) and there are absolutely no F saver tickets from Europe to anywhere in the USA. Is this typical where they block it a few months in advance and release space much closer in kind of like LH?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Looking at some award availability on New Years Day (which I thought was a light travel day) and there are absolutely no F saver tickets from Europe to anywhere in the USA. Is this typical where they block it a few months in advance and release space much closer in kind of like LH?
Just look at the award calendar. UA has clearly clamped down on far-out award availability in a systematic way (e.g. multiple straight months of zero hub-hub saver availability on Sun/Mon/Thur/Fri in any class)
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Pretty much - last year we flew a few days before Christmas. Biz and first opened up less than 2 weeks out, and it varied day by day.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I've been looking for Asia-SFO awards after New Years for months now and haven't seen anything open up yet. Loads look quite light, so optimistic availability will get better much closer to desired departure date. Same limited availability also applies for AA and oneworld partners.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:10 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Just look at the award calendar. UA has clearly clamped down on far-out award availability in a systematic way (e.g. multiple straight months of zero hub-hub saver availability on Sun/Mon/Thur/Fri in any class)
Anecdotally, I've reached the same conclusion. United wants to grab as many suckers as it can before releasing saver awards.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 19, 2015 at 11:03 am Reason: changed airline reference to the actual airline name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.