Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:39 pm

Any chance to find Saver Award flights PHL-SYD or AKL in July?

Hi all,

I am trying to do my first ever award booking for a trip for three to New Zealand in July 2016, looking to leave from PHL area on 7/1 and return around 7/21. If possible, a two day stopover in SYD on the way over would be nice but not mandatory.

I've never done this before, but I know saver award space in business class is going to be hard to find. It's too early to book the return, but I cannot find any saver award for the outbound trip. I'm trying looking at SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, etc., figuring if I can find the award space I'll grab it and figure out the east coast-west coast part of it later.

Am I already too late to get the outbound award space? If I get up very early on the morning when the seats are released for the return trip, will I find saver award space, or is it a game of chance? If I have to I'll buy the economy seats and pay the upgrade fee, but that's a huge fee of course.

Any strategy that the experts can suggest, or am I just going to have to keep checking? We really want to get business class at least across the Pacific, and I'm concerned if I wait too long then I won't even be able to use miles/points to upgrade and we'll be stuck in economy class (which would equal a miserable spouse ).

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
United Destroying Saver Awards

Entirety of March and April have zero Sunday saver availability IAH-SFO (hub to hub -- really??).

Looking in january for SFO-SLC and vv -- zero saver seats in any class five months out on a non-holiday weekend? on a short domestic route?

EDIT: Holy smokes -- not a single n/s SFO-SLC saver award on any Friday after new years through the entirety of March.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Entirety of March and April have zero Sunday saver availability IAH-SFO (hub to hub -- really??).

Looking in january for SFO-SLC and vv -- zero saver seats in any class five months out on a non-holiday weekend? on a short domestic route?

EDIT: Holy smokes -- not a single n/s SFO-SLC saver award on any Friday after new years through the entirety of March.
UNITED made a bad call post merger and increased capacity to international routes, while gutting domestic capacity. As a result, with a rebound of the domestic market, it's quite difficult to find domestic saver availability. UNITED is working very hard to get more narrow body aircraft in the fleet. In the meantime....
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
UNITED made a bad call post merger and increased capacity to international routes, while gutting domestic capacity. As a result, with a rebound of the domestic market, it's quite difficult to find domestic saver availability. UNITED is working very hard to get more narrow body aircraft in the fleet. In the meantime....
Capacity control issue, not capacity issue. Maybe you're referring to the lack of widebodies serving IAH, but capacity into SLC has never been higher -- used to be all CR2s, now you've got CR7s and a handful of mainline on some days. This is United gutting mileageplus, not domestic capacity.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
capacity into SLC has never been higher -- used to be all CR2s, now you've got CR7s and a handful of mainline on some days.
UA used to compete SFO-SLC, with all mainline and good frequency.

Domestic award inventory is funky; it will zero out then reappear.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by imundell
Hi all,

I am trying to do my first ever award booking for a trip for three to New Zealand in July 2016, looking to leave from PHL area on 7/1 and return around 7/21. If possible, a two day stopover in SYD on the way over would be nice but not mandatory.

I've never done this before, but I know saver award space in business class is going to be hard to find. It's too early to book the return, but I cannot find any saver award for the outbound trip. I'm trying looking at SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, etc., figuring if I can find the award space I'll grab it and figure out the east coast-west coast part of it later.

Am I already too late to get the outbound award space? If I get up very early on the morning when the seats are released for the return trip, will I find saver award space, or is it a game of chance? If I have to I'll buy the economy seats and pay the upgrade fee, but that's a huge fee of course.

Any strategy that the experts can suggest, or am I just going to have to keep checking? We really want to get business class at least across the Pacific, and I'm concerned if I wait too long then I won't even be able to use miles/points to upgrade and we'll be stuck in economy class (which would equal a miserable spouse ).

Thanks!
There are people on this forum that know more about the exact processes than I do (although I'm an avid saver award booker and have been for quite some time), but it's notoriously hard to get from SFO/LAX to AKL in Business as Air New Zealand rarely, if ever, opens up saver award space in premium cabins w/ United Miles.

However, flying SFO or LAX - SYD (or MEL) may be a bit easier (even then though, expect that you may have to fly through China, Japan or Korea w/ AC, ANA or Asiana, the latter two not necessarily being a bad thing, and I even hear AC's new business/first is nice). If I were you, I'd play around with the route a little (maybe try PHL - SFO - PVG/ICN/PEK - AUK or SYD - use "multiple destination" to do this). No, getting up early will probably not help, but signing up for a Pro subscription at Expert Flyer could help ... all you do is put in the fare class that you want (I believe it's I for business), and you'll get an alert when it opens up.

There are also companies now that you pay and will book the awards for you (although I can't vouch on how good they are as I've never used them). There seems to be very little rhyme or reason to United's Saver Award availability, but with some patience and luck, you'll probably be able to book at least two of you in I to SYD/MEL - getting from SYD - AKL w/ miles is eventually possible, but this far in advance is definitely not possible (looks like SYD - AKL w/ NZ is showing saver award space in coach up until March 2016 if that's any indicator). Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
There are people on this forum that know more about the exact processes than I do (although I'm an avid saver award booker and have been for quite some time), but it's notoriously hard to get from SFO/LAX to AKL in Business as Air New Zealand rarely, if ever, opens up saver award space in premium cabins w/ United Miles.
When MsHalls120 and I retire, one of our first trips will be Australia and New Zealand. We will fly to SYD on an award ticket, and then SYD-AKL-SYD on a separate paid ticket, because you can actually get award business seats to SYD.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by halls120
When MsHalls120 and I retire, one of our first trips will be Australia and New Zealand. We will fly to SYD on an award ticket, and then SYD-AKL-SYD on a separate paid ticket, because you can actually get award business seats to SYD.
Yea that's what I did a couple years back ... F to SYD, then E on NZ to ZQN, which was honestly the best E experience I've ever had ... NZ is a great airline, I wish they had more availability w/ UA award ...w/ that said, if you've never been to Australia or NZ, be prepared for the sticker shock - $25 for a 6 pack of good beer is the norm (or you can get a bottle of terrible wine for $10) . Queenstown is one of my favorite places on Earth...I'd live there in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:39 am

Except C to SYD is 15 hours in 8-across -- shoot for the moon to get those f suites
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:50 am

Except C to SYD is 15 hours in 8-across -- shoot for the moon to get those f suites
MsHalls120 likes the A/B or J/K seats. But yes, we'll go for GF if it is even still around by the time we do this trip. I'm guessing it won't be.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:12 am

Are they really considered "suites" ?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
Are they really considered "suites" ?
I guess not, but palatial relative to C.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do UA saver awards ever materialize for those?

I'm only seeing awards on OS, through ICN. Or maybe through China.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:27 am

MsHalls120 likes the A/B or J/K seats. But yes, we'll go for GF if it is even still around by the time we do this trip. I'm guessing it won't be.
Well as long as MsHalls120 is happy
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:29 am

I guess not, but palatial relative to C.
I was joking a little bit, I think United does refer to them in suites...last time I flew GF, I was able to visit the Singapore FCL in Sydney, which was a real treat, but as soon as I was on the plane and w/ United FA, I was begging to be back in that lounge. One FA on that particular flight literally tossed my entree onto my tray table without any apology or anything. It made me never want to give my patronage to United again, but sadly, living in SF, it's nearly impossible not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.