Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA
Low inventory for March from SAN/LAX/SFO to ORD

I'm trying to plan a roughly week long trip to California in March (to coincide with Spring Break). However, it looks like the inventory is particularly low for March as opposed to other months for trips from there (checked SAN, LAX, and SFO) to ORD.

For such a simple domestic flight I would assume the best thing to do is check early & often, but it seems strange that March would have so much less available than both February and April. Is it because demand for California flights is so high during Spring Break time? Should I try to plan this trip at a different time, or is it worth it to keep waiting and see if anything opens up?

On a side note I was checking some tourism figures and it looks like there are significantly more flights during the summer months than in March, but there are way more saver awards for July/August/September of 2015 than for March of 2016. Just has me puzzled.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by robbo9
I'm trying to plan a roughly week long trip to California in March (to coincide with Spring Break). However, it looks like the inventory is particularly low for March as opposed to other months for trips from there (checked SAN, LAX, and SFO) to ORD.

For such a simple domestic flight I would assume the best thing to do is check early & often, but it seems strange that March would have so much less available than both February and April. Is it because demand for California flights is so high during Spring Break time? Should I try to plan this trip at a different time, or is it worth it to keep waiting and see if anything opens up?

On a side note I was checking some tourism figures and it looks like there are significantly more flights during the summer months than in March, but there are way more saver awards for July/August/September of 2015 than for March of 2016. Just has me puzzled.

Did you check SNA?

I just did and there are many dates open to ORD in March for 25 K miles several flights a day. That is direct.
12.5 k if you have one stop.

I also checked LAX and SFO. Many direct in March for 12.5k.

What are you looking at??

Last edited by Asiatraveler15; Jun 9, 2015 at 11:39 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Lazarev
I have been searching almost all month, and was unable to find even a SINGLE business saver seat in March and August 2016 for any direct USA-Italy flight. Searched from EWR/IAD/ORD to FCO/MXP/VCE - nothing, zilch, zip, nada. Plenty of Y space, but none in J.

Am I missing something obvious? Is J released later than Y and is it released at all?

I'll book indirect flight (there are other options), but I find it curious that there is no J space for any direct Italy flight.
The idea that there will be open inventory in J on Saver rate is 2009-era poor economy thinking - in the present the only path to TATL travel in J will be paid or Standard award travel.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Did you check SNA?

I just did and there are many dates open to ORD in March for 25 K miles several flights a day. That is direct.
12.5 k if you have one stop.

I also checked LAX and SFO. Many direct in March for 12.5k.

What are you looking at??
Sorry, I see availability for Tues/Weds, but I was trying to line up a Spring Break trip (my wife is a teacher and has limited flexibility) that gave us more than just a few days of vacation (ideally leaving later in the week, thurs - sun).

I realize this sounds picky but given that every other month I looked at had a ton of Saturday availability I was surprised to see none in March.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by robbo9
Sorry, I see availability for Tues/Weds, but I was trying to line up a Spring Break trip (my wife is a teacher and has limited flexibility) that gave us more than just a few days of vacation (ideally leaving later in the week, thurs - sun).

I realize this sounds picky but given that every other month I looked at had a ton of Saturday availability I was surprised to see none in March.
Every weekend is available, just not saver. All 25 k one way from the cities you mentioned.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:15 am

I'm trying to do SYD-SEA in mid May 2016 in GF. There are flights that go SYD-SFO-SEA but GF availability is hard to come by. Any tips on securing 2 tickets for this trip?

Alternatively, we are willing to layover somewhere else. I also see that we can try to go through TYO but that usually means having to do another layover in BKK, SIN or HKG.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The idea that there will be open inventory in J on Saver rate is 2009-era poor economy thinking - in the present the only path to TATL travel in J will be paid or Standard award travel.
I saw J and GF saver inventory available on EWR-CDG early next year - quite a bit of it, actually. Would imagine that later in the year, and particularly summer, will be hard to come by.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iloverice
I'm trying to do SYD-SEA in mid May 2016 in GF. There are flights that go SYD-SFO-SEA but GF availability is hard to come by. Any tips on securing 2 tickets for this trip?

Alternatively, we are willing to layover somewhere else. I also see that we can try to go through TYO but that usually means having to do another layover in BKK, SIN or HKG.
If you find J seats, take them, but then call in to UA and ask for GF waitlist. They will deduct the extra miles from your account, and your reservation will indicate that you have "O Requested." Last time I did this, my GF got confirmed within a few hours, but timing that was probably a fluke.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I saw J and GF saver inventory available on EWR-CDG early next year - quite a bit of it, actually. Would imagine that later in the year, and particularly summer, will be hard to come by.
Correct. Saver J and F awards are out there, you just have to work for them (or get lucky). Or wait until the last minute to book. Anyone want to go SFO/LAX to LHR/FRA on July 8? Because there's BF and GF available right now
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you find J seats, take them, but then call in to UA and ask for GF waitlist. They will deduct the extra miles from your account, and your reservation will indicate that you have "O Requested." Last time I did this, my GF got confirmed within a few hours, but timing that was probably a fluke.
Alright, thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
in the present the only path to TATL travel in J will be paid or Standard award travel.
Nonsense
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:51 pm

Angry Mixed Cabin Rewards

Why are there so many mixed cabin rewards lately. I am trying to book a ticket LAX-FLL on either 11/1 or 11/2 quite far in advance in First. Both segments are wide open on every flight on the LAX-EWR-FLL routing I want and each time either the first leg or second is unavailable. Do these flights ever open up? Do I need to wait or do I just remain frustrated.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sean G -- welcome to FT!

Mixed cabin awards are a reflection of'
- UA is doing a better job of filling seats with paid passengers -- less open seats for awards. Part of this is due to capacity management.
- UA is monetizing open premium cabin seats with paid upgrades even while there is a waitlist

So with increased non-flight mileage reward miles (ie card credit) chasing fewer available seats, it is harder to find premium cabin seats at booking. (And less complementary upgrades for elites.)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Starting a couple months ago I was posting in this thread for some advice about looking for BF saver award seats from ROC-LHR on a Saturday in October. I had booked BF tickets for Sunday, but preferred arriving in London on a Sunday morning rather than on Monday morning.

I was advised to check availability as often as possible. I started checking several times a day, but saw nothing for the day I wanted and even looking at the trends for a few weeks before and after, there was little availability. Today I checked around 9:00am and there they were - actually two options (one with a 10 hour layover which means in really isn't an option) and one with the times I wanted. I was able to make the change (with the $75 each fee) online and the system even put me into the seats I would have chosen.

So, I'm writing to say thank you for your comments and feedback and to tell anyone else looking to keep checking!

Last edited by Larrude; Jun 26, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Indeed saver availability is per 7 years' experiences is plain UA getting max profit so there's little real pattern for us travellers, sometimes it's there sometimes it's not, act quickly if it's something you like. Hopefully someone one day sues them to fix this annoyance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.