Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:33 am

I'm planning to fly UA SFO-FCO next May. Need to fly business. Standard awards are available for 150k each way. Ugh. I have the miles but would prefer Saver and don't want to purchase close-in. Is there a decent chance saver business seats will be released before the end of the year? Or at all?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by kthpence
I was joking a little bit, I think United does refer to them in suites...last time I flew GF, I was able to visit the Singapore FCL in Sydney, which was a real treat, but as soon as I was on the plane and w/ United FA, I was begging to be back in that lounge. One FA on that particular flight literally tossed my entree onto my tray table without any apology or anything. It made me never want to give my patronage to United again, but sadly, living in SF, it's nearly impossible not to.
Yeah I know the feeling. I'm probably on the cusp for GS at this point (100pqm/50pqd YTD); honestly, locking down GS doesn't seem worth even one more flight on a route where there are other options. Burning all my miles when possible so even the GPUs won't be relevant.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Well as long as MsHalls120 is happy
That is the prime objective.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
, but signing up for a Pro subscription at Expert Flyer could help ... all you do is put in the fare class that you want (I believe it's I for business), and you'll get an alert when it opens up.
Unfortunately, EF does not show award availability on major *carriers like UA, LH, etc.

Originally Posted by truck51
I'm planning to fly UA SFO-FCO next May. Need to fly business. Is there a decent chance saver business seats will be released before the end of the year? Or at all?
Try to book something into a hub like, FRA, MUC, ZRH, LHR with a connection down to Italy from there. This should get the process started and at least allow to plan other parts of your trip. Then periodically check for direct flights or better routings into FCO,
Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:45 pm

Thanks

That's very helpful.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:35 pm

Wow!

It worked. I got a flight, business class, to LHR through IAD and back. Thanks again.

Seth
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: VS Gold
How long is award inventory held for Silvers etc before being released to general?

Hi

Looking max time out (330days ish) I can see plenty of nonstops LAX-LHR using my wife's Silver status. However she only has 5k miles left.

Using my general account (I have 300K miles) I can't see any of the nonstops so far out.

However, looking about three weeks earlier I do see them

I wonder how long it will be until the seats only she (aka Silver members) can see will be viewable my mere mortals like me?

I guess there's more to it than just time, but wondering what to do.

Thanks all

mm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It's not timing versus revenue management algorithms.

Though annoying, your best bet is to keep checking daily for a few weeks.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by maxmin
Hi

Looking max time out (330days ish) I can see plenty of nonstops LAX-LHR using my wife's Silver status. However she only has 5k miles left.

Using my general account (I have 300K miles) I can't see any of the nonstops so far out.
Call, or rather, have your wife call, United. She tells them the flights you want and can see when she's logged in and that she'll be using your miles. This shouldn't be a problem if you are both traveling. It'll cost you $25/ticket (possibly waived with a friendly agent when your wife points out that she can't do this on-line), but an award in the hand is worth 2 (maybe) in several weeks.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I wonder how long it will be until the seats only she (aka Silver members) can see will be viewable my mere mortals like me? ...
No way to predict, maybe never, maybe tommorrow

Originally Posted by Portolan
Call, or rather, have your wife call, United. She tells them the flights you want and can see when she's logged in and that she'll be using your miles. This shouldn't be a problem if you are both traveling. ....
The availability is tied to the redeeming account, it will be a rare agent to over ride those rules.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by truck51
It worked. I got a flight, business class, to LHR through IAD and back. Thanks again.

Seth
Glad it worked out and you got the process going!

Btw: Did you book the intra-EU flight as well?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Do UA saver awards ever materialize for those?

I'm only seeing awards on OS, through ICN. Or maybe through China.
That's what I'm seeing too. I'll have to buy miles, unfortunately, to make it work. I need to figure out the math and determine if it's cheaper to buy miles and get award flights in business class, or to buy economy and use miles to upgrade to business on the longer segments.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Portolan
Call, or rather, have your wife call, United. She tells them the flights you want and can see when she's logged in and that she'll be using your miles. This shouldn't be a problem if you are both traveling. It'll cost you $25/ticket (possibly waived with a friendly agent when your wife points out that she can't do this on-line), but an award in the hand is worth 2 (maybe) in several weeks.
Hey - thanks - nice idea but first two agents we tried were having none of it!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The availability is tied to the redeeming account, it will be a rare agent to over ride those rules.
Agreed!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2015 at 9:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you get the Chase Explorer card, you will have access to that XN inventory.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you get the Chase Explorer card, you will have access to that XN inventory.
Hi - thanks - according to the T&C on the Explorer Card application, it is only Standard Awards that you get full access to.

"Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem miles at the MileagePlus Standard Award level. There are no limitations, no restrictions and no blackout dates on available seats if you provide your MileagePlus number before starting the award booking process. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.