Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by maxmin
Hi - thanks - according to the T&C on the Explorer Card application, it is only Standard Awards that you get full access to.
It's an unpublished benefit. Does Award Availability Differ Based on UA Credit Card?

(As are CPUs on award tix, btw - that's not mentioned in the Chase T&C either.)

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 16, 2015 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by imundell
That's what I'm seeing too. I'll have to buy miles, unfortunately, to make it work. I need to figure out the math and determine if it's cheaper to buy miles and get award flights in business class, or to buy economy and use miles to upgrade to business on the longer segments.
Happy day, United just announced 50% sale on miles. There are plenty of saver business class awards on partner airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by imundell
Happy day, United just announced 50% sale on miles. There are plenty of saver business class awards on partner airlines.
Announced where? Details, dates, scope?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
+1 !
Be glad to learn as well.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
+1 !
Be glad to learn as well.
Bonus Miles Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
As reported by Kacee. I got an email this morning.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clearing that up, Kacee!

Was thinking about a partner award miles "sale" as we had seen in January.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:15 am

I don't get it. What I see here is a "sale" on the purchase of miles that have decreasing value.

I don't see anything about a sale on saver awards or an increase in saver availability on partners.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't get it. What I see here is a "sale" on the purchase of miles that have decreasing value.

I don't see anything about a sale on saver awards or an increase in saver availability on partners.
You got it, FlyWorld. It is not a "sale" as in: booking a saver UA or partner award for less miles. You might have looked at it this way, as some others (incl me) have.

As to increased saver award availability: I spot checked some dates for spring and did not see any additional inventory being released, compared to a few days ago.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:31 am

I got a 35% offer. Not 50%.

Still considering it. 50k miles for a little over $1000. Already booked Saver Econ AMS To IAHon the way home. It will cost $160 each for E+. So for about $350 more each we could go J.
Might be worth it. If I buy the miles how do I convert my booked Saver Econ to Saver Premium?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: VS Gold
It's an unpublished benefit. Does Award Availability Differ Based on UA Credit Card?

(As are CPUs on award tix, btw - that's not mentioned in the Chase T&C either.)
Hi Kacee - thanks - I have applied for that card and been approved. I wonder what is the mechanism that the card is linked to my MP account ?

More importantly, how long will it take until I can see the inventory when i log in?!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by maxmin
Hi Kacee - thanks - I have applied for that card and been approved. I wonder what is the mechanism that the card is linked to my MP account ?

More importantly, how long will it take until I can see the inventory when i log in?!
I don't know the specific answers, but you can find out by doing an award search while logged in and see if XN inventory shows up. For example, search dates when X=0 and XN>0, and if awards show as available, you can book them.

I believe OP described this as a "sale on miles" and that's what it is.

As SunLover notes in the linked thread, RDM currently being sold through award accelerator for 1.9 cpm.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
You got it, FlyWorld. It is not a "sale" as in: booking a saver UA or partner award for less miles. You might have looked at it this way, as some others (incl me) have.

As to increased saver award availability: I spot checked some dates for spring and did not see any additional inventory being released, compared to a few days ago.
But there is hardly such thing as booking saver UA or partner awards anymore. Saver inventory has been decimated across the board and partner awards have become almost impossible to find online.

This is a fools game. In a rational environment, what they're doing would be flatly illegal. Using cash to buy "miles" that are continually devalued makes no sense at all except for a few edge cases where someone can find a good saver fare on a flight they want to book and this lets them get that flight cheaply. Still then I'd challenge any "logic" here because saver inventory is so rare that it now correlates mostly with flights that are basically empty and as such that have cheap/discounted fares anyway.

Anyone who is still playing this game with the airlines needs to have some serious coaching in economics.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But there is hardly such thing as booking saver UA or partner awards anymore. Saver inventory has been decimated across the board and partner awards have become almost impossible to find online.

This is a fools game. In a rational environment, what they're doing would be flatly illegal. Using cash to buy "miles" that are continually devalued makes no sense at all except for a few edge cases where someone can find a good saver fare on a flight they want to book and this lets them get that flight cheaply. Still then I'd challenge any "logic" here because saver inventory is so rare that it now correlates mostly with flights that are basically empty and as such that have cheap/discounted fares anyway.

Anyone who is still playing this game with the airlines needs to have some serious coaching in economics.
Fully agree with you analysis.
Never bought miles by myself.
Only value can be for topping off an account.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:21 am

But there is hardly such thing as booking saver UA or partner awards anymore.
Really? I booked two saver awards last week - combination of TG and SQ, including TG F ex-BKK.

Brought my GF with me to Boston this year for the marathon in F, including a return on ps.

It requires some effort to find what you need, but UA miles still have substantial value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.