Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Clear browser history, clear cookies.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, SQ KrisFlyer, BA Avios, SPG Gold, Priority Club, Platinum Card
Ended up having to call to book. Thankfully they waived the $25 booking service fee
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
How close to departure is space released?

Hello all,

I'm booked on a flight tomorrow afternoon. Ideally I'd like to change to another flight at an earlier time. I'm booked in saver F (25k), and see that there's three J seats left on my ideal flight, but all I see are standard awards. If United is willing to sell those seats, they must not be blocking them for op-ups then, right?

I live far enough away from my home airport (SFO) that I would need to book something by 11am to get to the airport in time. Is there any chance some space will open up by then? How close to departure is close to departure?

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lesamuel
I'm booked on a flight tomorrow afternoon. Ideally I'd like to change to another flight at an earlier time. I'm booked in saver F (25k), and see that there's three J seats left on my ideal flight, but all I see are standard awards. If United is willing to sell those seats, they must not be blocking them for op-ups then, right?

I live far enough away from my home airport (SFO) that I would need to book something by 11am to get to the airport in time. Is there any chance some space will open up by then? How close to departure is close to departure?
They probably won't open I (saver domestic F) at all, but keep looking, you might get lucky. Could happen any time between now and departure.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:40 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I would doubt it would open up. And if it does open up, people checked in and on the upgrade list could automatically get upgraded, and you will not be fast enough to beat that. But certainly worth checking. What is the route?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
SFO-ORD. It looks like they took that flight off the award and revenue search page entirely now, but it looks like they still have 8 Y seats in inventory.

I'll keep an eye out, but it seems unlikely.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TA
And if it does open up, people checked in and on the upgrade list could automatically get upgraded, and you will not be fast enough to beat that.
Not true IME. I've scored IN on ps twice in the past year despite multiple names on the upgrade waitlist. UA doesn't process that waitlist dynamically.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
IN has not opened up for me domestically this year at all.

United has been upgrading elites and selling upgrades instead.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not true IME. I've scored IN on ps twice in the past year despite multiple names on the upgrade waitlist. UA doesn't process that waitlist dynamically.
Awards come from I/IN. Upgrades come from R/RN. That has nothing to do with dynamic processing of the waitlist (which does happen) and everything to do with them being different fare buckets with different IM/RM rules.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
They probably won't open I (saver domestic F) at all, but keep looking, you might get lucky. Could happen any time between now and departure.
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

5 weeks ago BOS-SFO. Flight has been F0 for weeks then F1 a few days before departure. T-12 F1 became F1A1J1C1D1Z1P1IN1 ... called in and got the IN waitlist cleared on the spot.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:37 am

Emphasis on the latter, of course.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Awards come from I/IN. Upgrades come from R/RN. That has nothing to do with dynamic processing of the waitlist (which does happen) and everything to do with them being different fare buckets with different IM/RM rules.
Seems you didn't understand my comment. I was responding to this:

Originally Posted by TA
And if it does open up, people checked in and on the upgrade list could automatically get upgraded, and you will not be fast enough to beat that.
TA's comment is based on the implicit assumption that if UA opens I/IN, it has also opened R (and that's essentially 100% correct IME). But because the upgrade waitlist doesn't process dynamically, the R - along with the I - can sit there for quite a while. In fact, there's a whole thread on this topic. Upgrade Still Waitlisted Even Though R Class Available

But thanks for the unnecessary lecture (And btw, upgrades don't come from RN. That fare bucket isn't currently in use.)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: AADULtArer
SFO-ORD, meh.

I would save the worry , hassle, and angst for a real trip, not a commuter hop.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:45 am

Just happened to me as well, but found an agent that was a able to manually push through the upgrade. Booked a mileage upgrade on PHX-SFO-CLE on Dec 31. SFO-CLE cleared immediately, but PHX-SFO waitlisted.

I checked expert mode today and saw R=9, but still sitting on the waitlist. Called in and the agent cleared PHX-SFO immediately. What is up with UA's systems?? Do they not do a sweep for R space? Maybe this is why so many people think their RPUs and GPUs are worthless.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by CLEContinental
Just happened to me as well, but found an agent that was a able to manually push through the upgrade. Booked a mileage upgrade on PHX-SFO-CLE on Dec 31. SFO-CLE cleared immediately, but PHX-SFO waitlisted.

I checked expert mode today and saw R=9, but still sitting on the waitlist. Called in and the agent cleared PHX-SFO immediately. What is up with UA's systems?? Do they not do a sweep for R space? Maybe this is why so many people think their RPUs and GPUs are worthless.
GPU/RPU aren't worthless, they are just difficult to use, thanks in part to the antiquated IT infrastructure brought to the merged airline by Smisek and his minions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.