Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by gene2632
No seat changes, sat in the same seat I booked months ago. 21C, the seat always try to book on 737s.

No, it is not a big deal, something like $24 and change for 3 different boxes and my card was not charged but it leaves me wondering. Right now I am wondering who will get my miles from this trip?
I don't think you should be concerned. If your mileageplus # was attached to your ticket, then you have proof that you flew.

In flight payments is a totally separate system, although i will say your experience is quite weird.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I had this happen to me once as well. Beleive it was on ORD-YYZ and as I was waiting in baggage claim, got an emailed receipt. It was for a mini wine bottle.

I realized it wasn’t my card listed there (last 4 numbers), but just as a precaution, checked my CCs and never saw the pending (or a posted) charge. I always suspected the FA handling it hit the wrong seat # on their device and so it appeared to me that was the purchaser.

I just ignored it.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The FA types in the seat number when running the charge. If they mistype it then the receipt goes to the wrong person. Way faster and more likely to have the receipt get to the correct place than typing in email addresses during the service but human error remains part of the process.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks for the explanations. I am not concerned, just curious. Since I have very little experience with onboard purchases I did not realize they went by seat number. The receipt only shows flight number, date, passenger name (initials only) and a credit card number with all but the last 4 xed out. It just struck me as weird. I won't worry about, I am just glad we were only 25 minutes late after dodging the storms in the midwest and the east. Remember it was an early AM departure and maybe the FAs were as sleepy as the passengers .
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Weird emails about inflight purchases

so I fly IAH to IAd a few days ago... purchase Internet and wine on flight with credit card AX. Got Emails with transaction details.

A few hours later I get two additional emails for a different flight the same day .... showing inflight purchases but with a cc number (last 4 digits) that don’t match any of my credit cards and name/initials that aren’t mine,

so how did my email address get associated with these transactions? Good news as far as I can tell is no unauthorized charges on my credit cards... but can’t figure out how/why I got these emails.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
so I fly IAH to IAd a few days ago... purchase Internet and wine on flight with credit card AX. Got Emails with transaction details.

A few hours later I get two additional emails for a different flight the same day .... showing inflight purchases but with a cc number (last 4 digits) that don’t match any of my credit cards and name/initials that aren’t mine,

so how did my email address get associated with these transactions? Good news as far as I can tell is no unauthorized charges on my credit cards... but can’t figure out how/why I got these emails.
The good news is that you will not get charged for those non-purchases. There were some stories a few months ago about the same thing happening to passengers but at least in those cases they were non-purchases on the same flights as the FAs just misidentified the seat (as that's the way they use to quickly process the information for the emails).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Just happened to me yesterday DEN-MSY. I suspect it was because of musical chairs - a family of 11 (!) was jumbled into remaining E+ seats near the front, plus a couple had been seated in random E+ seats; there was seat swapping galore, including me being offered to move to an aisle seat two rows forward, which I accepted.

The mom, who ended up in my original seat, whose first name starts with B and who has a last name with three fun letters, had a "SPARK WINE" for $7.99 using a Visa card. I know this because I got her inflight receipt.

That's some terrific system ya got there, United.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
That's some terrific system ya got there, United.
Pretty well thought out, actually, if you ask me. 95%+ receipts get to the right place; if you don't get your receipt you can go online to request it; if you get the wrong receipt very little harm is done (you now know someone's LAS/F, which is widely displayed on upgrade lists, and what they ordered, which you probably could have overheard in the cabin anyway).
Old May 2, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA1P
Was United Hacked?

I received a text message to check into my flight on Saturday. (for reference, this is approximately 40 hours before my flight). I semi-blindly went through the check-in process. Only at the very end did I realize that the check-in was not for me but for someone else who I have nothing to do with. I called United who said it might have been a typo by a travel agent or by the passenger. I'm rather alarmed as by going backwards in the check-in process, it revealed some (but not a ton of) personal information of this unknown person including name, email address and the city pairs they are flying. I did email the person letting them know of the potential hack or wrong phone number in their profile.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Old May 2, 2019, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
About once a year there is a report on FT of someone receiving another passengers information. With 1.7 million flights and 150+M passengers per year and human beings involved, things happen.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:50 pm

I had the same experience, but with Marriott. When I logged onto Marriott, it opened another member's account.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA1P
Thanks. I did a quick search but didn't find anything. Doesn't surprise me too much but I would expect United to get with the times and have multi factor authentication before sending out some personal information. Then again, it's United.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Another interesting result of this new system for me today.

Yesterday, I missed my connection from LAX to IAD. The 1230 flight (UA 2064)...I was unable to fly until the 9 pm flight.

This morning I see a inflight purchase receipt in my email from flight 2064, I didn't purchase anything on my flight.
Upon opening it is a totally different person - name and I can see last 4 digits of card # (not mine). I can also see ticket number and truncated name of the traveler. Seems like a privacy breach?

I wonder if this person got my seat on the flight I missed? Do they record by seat number?

I will call UA tech to report the incorrect email. Any ideas which section I should call? IT support? Or just regular MP customer support?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 21, 2019 at 12:29 pm Reason: Moved to alternative thread
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rwm818

Yesterday, I missed my connection from LAX to IAD. The 1230 flight (UA 2064)...I was unable to fly until the 9 pm flight.

This morning I see a inflight purchase receipt in my email from flight 2064, I didn't purchase anything on my flight.
Upon opening it is a totally different person - name and I can see last 4 digits of card # (not mine). I can also see ticket number and truncated name of the traveler. Seems like a privacy breach?

I wonder if this person got my seat on the flight I missed? Do they record by seat number?

I will call UA tech to report the incorrect email. Any ideas which section I should call? IT support? Or just regular MP customer support?
Might want to just send a PM to UA Digital Insider here on FlyerTalk. They could probably get it routed to the right person.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...l-insider.html
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rwm818

i had this happen once. Got a receipt for an in flight purchase on the ORD-YYZ UAX I had just gotten off of. IIRC, it was for a glass of wine. But I never purchased anything. Not sure why it came to me - wonder if soemone else bought something, and the FA put in the wrong seat number or something. The last 4 digits of the card weren’t mine. It was for the flight I was on though.

I believe I went to the feedback site to report it, though I don’t think I ever heard anything back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.