Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tetrahydrofuran
Well, here's the deal. Just like my FT alias, the email alias is a long chemical compound name. It is highly unlikely to be the result of auto-correct, nor a simple typo - you really have to alter quite a few letters to derive another word (which is most likely another chemical compound name). So unless the intended recipient is a chemist, or has advanced chemistry knowledge, I just can't imagine how United get that email address by some error.

I had been using that email address for various online activities, and it was the one I used with AA and Amtrak for a few years in the early 2000s. I typically use another email address for my travel purchases.
Seemingly you have these persons' names, if you received their boarding passes. Have you searched around for who they might be? Maybe one is a chemist.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by sbm12
The FA types in the seat number when running the charge. If they mistype it then the receipt goes to the wrong person. Way faster and more likely to have the receipt get to the correct place than typing in email addresses during the service but human error remains part of the process.
I received an emailed "inflight receipt" yesterday that without opening I assumed was for my spouse who just returned on Tuesday, so I sent to her. She sends it back saying I was on AA, not United. So then I opened and actually looked at it. It was for my trip a few weeks ago but for food I didn't purchase. AS others have experienced, then I noticed the name and CC were not mine. So I started to wonder what screw-up happened and so went to FT and found this thread.

And based on SBMs quote above now it makes perfect sense: I switched seats and the other pax did order food; case solved.

A very funny part of this:
I paid extra for the window seat cause I wanted to lean against wall to sleep on this o-dark-thirty BWI-LAX transcon. But when I got to my row the other pax was sitting in my seat with his face pressed against the window looking out. After pleasant good morning and pleasantries I said, I think you are in my seat. He says "no, this is mine, I am in seat C." I replied that is not C, that is A. He disagrees and so I point out the legend on the overhead bins and explain A is next to the port window, the middle is B and the aisle C. He enthusiastically and in complete sincerity says, and I promise I am not making this up, "no, the window is C because you can see outside."

I started to laugh and heard some laughs from around us. I asked him if he had flown much and he said, no, this was his 2nd time. Now, I always want the window and especially this time because I not only wanted to sleep but because I also paid extra for it. But I could see how excited he was to have the window. I have sat by the window more times than I can count, one time without is no big deal and the middle seat was empty. So I said, "I paid for the window so I could sleep but you know what? I am not really tired right now. Why don't you take the window, enjoy the view, and later if I get sleepy we can switch back." He was happy and I was happy to see someone be excited about flight.

The kicker: not 5 minutes after we get the 10k bells he promptly closed the shade went to sleep.

No good deed goes unpunished......
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I received several misdirected boarding passes and flight confirmations late last year. I called United, and they said "ho hum... it happens all the time."
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
The kicker: not 5 minutes after we get the 10k bells he promptly closed the shade went to sleep.
Looks like you got scammed
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Previously cancelled flight

I logged on my account and checked previously cancelled reservation. Another passenger flight credit info appeared on my computer screen (see the attached picture). What is going on with UA IT?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Someone elses travel credit in my account

Hi all, I thought I saw this issue posted about once but can't find it.

My MP account contains a fight credit travel voucher with another person's name on it. Honestly, I had so many messed up flights last year, that it could be mine. I had a few flight credits with similar values around $1,000, but I think it's more likely to be wrongly put into my account. I called the 1k desk to ask the source of the credit, and the agent wasn't very helpful...just said if it wasn't mine to call mileage plus and have it taken out of my account. Assuming it's not mine, i would want to make sure the rightful owner knows about it so it doesn't go to waste. Anybody ever have a similar situation?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It not like UA doesnot make mistakes on emails, UA emailed me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Is this an ETC or FFC? You should be able to see the date to help decide if it might be yours?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It not like UA doesnot make mistakes on emails, UA emailed me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Is this an ETC or FFC? You should be able to see the date to help decide if it might be yours?
It's an ETC, with an expiration date next May so make me think it was a cancelled trip from the Covid changes. I had a few flights around then cancelled for similar values. I think I have records of most of them, though they mostly don't show in my account. But I can't find a record that exactly matches this one....
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Glitch with UA system

I went to the app to check something to be greeted with "Prepare for your upcoming trip" for Sunday. Only issue is I am not flying. It is the same message I would get if I had a trip scheduled in 24 hours time. It looks like the return leg of a trip.

I clicked on the details and it has me listed as a pax, although if I click on seats it says the system is having troubles retrieving the reservation.

I am just going to leave it as I have nothing in My Flights.

Really bizarre.

Any insights?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Any insights?
Maybe you won a sweepstakes you never entered.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Fly it first. Ask questions later
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Fly it first. Ask questions later
Problem is I am not where the flights are originating from tomorrow.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Problem is I am not where the flights are originating from tomorrow.

Somebody using your MP#?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:52 pm

I think it’s important that United IT be aware of incidents whereby a user has unauthorized/unintended access to another users private data.

In cases where CS might try to brush it off and simply say that you should just delete the email, I would make sure a report is filed with IT. That CS approach is a disservice to UA and themselves. Escalate if needed. These incidents can *potentially* hurt UA in a SOC 2 audit.

And if UA is not SOC 2 compliant right now, then I might rethink my choice to have given them more private data.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
I think it’s important that United IT be aware of incidents whereby a user has unauthorized/unintended access to another users private data. .....
You might want to look at the data of post#1 and note that UA is now using a completely different PSS (Passenger service system) today (since 2012 which is derivative of the pmCO's PSS)

tl;dr -- this has been going on for a long time and thru multiple systems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.