Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
If the receipt was out of the blue that might be a valid answer (I get mis-typed emails all the time, mainly because I have my own domain and have all addresses in that domain going to me).

But what are the odds of that happening and the receipt being sent on the same day that the receipt he did request was sent?
it wasn't same day

Originally Posted by okazon69
Over a month ago, I asked UA for a receipt to be sent to me for a flight I took early January.

Yesterday I received receipts for two other people's flights via email! ....
those dates suggested two independent events.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:10 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
This has happened to me before. I got the personal details of some stranger. I deleted the e-mail immediately.
I think that's an unwise course of action. Chances are that if you received someone else's details, that someone else (or another one) was sent your details. Only by providing UA with the stranger's details do you have a hope of getting them to sort it all out.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
It's happened to me at least once, I believe soon after the merger, I called the 1 K desk to notify and without prompting they also sent me a $350 e-cert for the error...the good old days.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Privacy Concerns

So I'm sitting in my conference room eating lunch, a colleague who works in a completely different division walks in and hands me an itinerary i have booked for a personal vacation trip in a few weeks. I don't really care that a colleague knows I'm going on vacation nor do i care that he knows where I am going but one thing that is really troubling is where he obtained the information.

He received the email from united (unsolicited) The only thing I can assume is a wire got crossed somewhere in their IT department and they sent it to the wrong email address but why? The flight is in 12 days. It is not a check-in reminder, it wasn't requested for anyone on my end. Our email addresses are nothing alike. Strange and troubling.

Anyone have a suggestion of who i should contact at United to try and get this addressed so it doesn't happen again in the future?

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
So I'm sitting in my conference room eating lunch, a colleague who works in a completely different division walks in and hands me an itinerary i have booked for a personal vacation trip in a few weeks. I don't really care that a colleague knows I'm going on vacation nor do i care that he knows where I am going but one thing that is really troubling is where he obtained the information.
Do you and your colleague possibly both use the same business travel website -- Egencia, for example -- for personal travel? (To others reading this thread, it's perfectly acceptable to use such systems for personal trips.) Something very similar happened to a colleague of mine when I worked for a company that used Egencia; it turned out one of Egencia's human TAs had simply mixed up their names.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Do you and your colleague possibly both use the same business travel website -- Egencia, for example -- for personal travel? (To others reading this thread, it's perfectly acceptable to use such systems for personal trips.) Something very similar happened to a colleague of mine when I worked for a company that used Egencia; it turned out one of Egencia's human TAs had simply mixed up their names.
No we dont, were a small company (about 150 employees) we all book our own travel and turn in expenses. Only common denominator is the two of us were booked on a the same PNR about 2 to 3 years ago.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
No we dont, were a small company (about 150 employees) we all book our own travel and turn in expenses. Only common denominator is the two of us were booked on a the same PNR about 2 to 3 years ago.
Weird.

But I just noticed you said he "handed" you the itinerary. Do you mean he literally handed you a printout?

If so, then isn't it likely that you just accidentally printed out multiple copies at some point and left one on the printer, which he then noticed and returned to you?

Another possibility: might autocomplete be at fault ... somehow his email got attached to the reservation when you tried to enter another piece of information entirely?

Given the situation you described, I'm skeptical UA IT is involved.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given the situation you described, I'm skeptical UA IT is involved.
Reviewing the full thread you will find examples pre- & post-merger of folks being emailed the itins of unknown persons. Does bot appear to be common but it does happen. IT error or human error, unknown.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Reviewing the full thread you will find examples pre- & post-merger of folks being emailed the itins of unknown persons. Does bot appear to be common but it does happen. IT error or human error, unknown.
Understood. But this isn't an "unknown person." It's a work colleague, one who apparently walked into the OP's office with a printout. Seems unusual that the colleague would print a copy and walk it over to him when he could just forward the email.

But as I made clear, I was just suggesting alternatives. Anything's possible.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Well to add another twist to this. Im not sure whether to be more disturbed now or impressed. Sitting in my office today and i see a phone number calling me from South Dakota. I am certain its a wrong number or telemarketer but answer the phone anyway. Its a representative from United social media division. Apparently someone saw my post from yesterday and started looking into how this occurred, she stressed that they took privacy issues very seriously and wanted to know how it happened so hopefully it can be avoided in the future.

It seems that my colleagues email address was somehow added to my mileage plus account as a secondary email along with my wife's email address. Its a mystery to me how this happened but im guessing it was added as a secondary email address when we flew together a couple years ago? The second mystery is what triggered the website to re-send the email a week or two after i received the first one?

I can honestly say that I am impressed by the woman who called me and glad that United is taking this seriously. OTOH I am disturbed that United's social media division was able to take my username on Flyertalk and figure out my real name which enabled her to review my MP account information to obtain my cell phone.

If this has happened to anyone else you might want to check with MP and see if you have any secondary email addresses on your account that aren't yours.

Understood. But this isn't an "unknown person." It's a work colleague, one who apparently walked into the OP's office with a printout. Seems unusual that the colleague would print a copy and walk it over to him when he could just forward the email.

But as I made clear, I was just suggesting alternatives. Anything's possible.
He actually did both, printed and forwarded to me

Last edited by Weez_1000; Jun 30, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Not sure if this is related to {today's UA computer} madness, but I just got emailed the e-ticket confirmation and receipt for someone that isn't me. However, it is someone I know and it's for a flight he is on right now. There is no way he had this email me, this seems like a huge security problem. When I first saw the title of the email flash across the top of my phone I was worried someone else's reservation got assigned to me somehow, but this is for a reservation that will be over tonight when he lands.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2015 at 10:49 pm Reason: thread edited to reflect move
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:07 am

UA sent my itin to a different email. Cause for concern?

Made a booking via phone today with UA and did not receive the expected confirmation email. Called them back and asked them to verify the email address I had given them, and they provided someone else's email, not even remotely close to mine. They assured me that my credit card info was not on the message they had sent out, but there is a lot of info there - name, flight dates, last four of the credit card, PNR, etc.

I'm a little bit concerned that they sent all of this personal info to someone else, but maybe I'm over-reacting. Would anyone else be concerned?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Whoever they sent it to now has full control over your reservation, can make any changes they want to it at any time. That's a big reason for concern in my opinion.

Last edited by mduell; Dec 13, 2016 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I'm a little bit concerned that they sent all of this personal info to someone else, but maybe I'm over-reacting. Would anyone else be concerned?
You should get the reservation canceled and the ticket reissued, but otherwise I wouldn't worry overly much.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I did a FareLock res online this morning and also haven't rec'd email. Will call if I don't get anything during the day today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.