Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Even if you could justify that this specific case was "minor", it's only due to dumb luck on UA's part regarding which data was leaked.

In any case, I stopped believing the OP when he implied that there are at least 3 different people that work in UA IT.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
1) When I checked in for a flight home from France today, the passport screen showed all the info completed, including issue/expiration, birthdate, full name, etc. I just had to confirm.
2) You could use the $200 cert to position yourself for an overseas flight somewhere to take advantage of a great fare not available from your home airport, perhaps. Or gift it to a friend and have them owe you one
3) It's not a breach in the sense that someone compromised the system from the outside, but it is concerning that sensitive data is being mismatched to the wrong accounts due to what may be a programming or software error. No harm done in this case, but definitely a big deal.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
2) You could use the $200 cert to position yourself for an overseas flight somewhere to take advantage of a great fare not available from your home airport, perhaps. Or gift it to a friend and have them owe you one
That's a great idea - thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by TheBagman
In any case, I stopped believing the OP when he implied that there are at least 3 different people that work in UA IT.

+1, Brilliant.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Sure beats US giving out not just partial passport data to another, but entire physical passport to another. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43524260/ns/travel-news/
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:48 am

Email incompetence and privacy violation

Over a month ago, I asked UA for a receipt to be sent to me for a flight I took early January.

Yesterday I received receipts for two other people's flights via email! One of them was for a well-known (at least very Google-able) news personality from Los Angeles.

Are the people at UA this incompetent, and what about the privacy violation?! I certainly wouldn't want people to see what my travel plans are....
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by okazon69
Are the people at UA this incompetent
yes
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This does happen for major companies.

I got a similiar thing in the PMUA days and posted on FT -- other responded similiar occurrences.

Many years ago, I got the statement of a other person for a major department store.

USPS regularly puts the mail of neighbor in my box.

Should hot happen, but deal with 10's /100's of thousands of communications daily and screwups happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2015 at 11:53 am Reason: removed link after merge
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by okazon69
Over a month ago, I asked UA for a receipt to be sent to me for a flight I took early January.

Yesterday I received receipts for two other people's flights via email! One of them was for a well-known (at least very Google-able) news personality from Los Angeles.

Are the people at UA this incompetent, and what about the privacy violation?! I certainly wouldn't want people to see what my travel plans are....
It might not be UA's incompetence, it could be that someone was entering your email (by accident?) when requesting a receipt themselves from UA using the website self-service. Do you have a common email address?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Did they also send you a response reassuring you that UA does not hate New Jersey?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Gold
This has happened to me before. I got the personal details of some stranger. I deleted the e-mail immediately.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kenn0223
It might not be UA's incompetence, it could be that someone was entering your email (by accident?) when requesting a receipt themselves from UA using the website self-service. Do you have a common email address?
If the receipt was out of the blue that might be a valid answer (I get mis-typed emails all the time, mainly because I have my own domain and have all addresses in that domain going to me).

But what are the odds of that happening and the receipt being sent on the same day that the receipt he did request was sent?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
They recycle confirmation numbers and this has happened to me before when trying to research something old and the conf# has been re-used.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by docbert
If the receipt was out of the blue that might be a valid answer (I get mis-typed emails all the time, mainly because I have my own domain and have all addresses in that domain going to me).

But what are the odds of that happening and the receipt being sent on the same day that the receipt he did request was sent?
1/365 ?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Did they also send you a response reassuring you that UA does not hate New Jersey?
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.