Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
That's interesting. Do you mean you were directly let into the gate area at the arrivals level (without going upstairs first)?
Yep. Exited from Gate 35 into the gate area!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:07 am

Yep, been happening for a while for flights inbound from the U.S. Enjoy it while it lasts, when United moves all its flight to Haneda and its back to massive lines.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:32 am

Originally only a trial early2019, now Supposed to be permanent for all usa-NRT flights. Includes UA, SQ, NH

As mentioned above, doesn't work for other direction (asia-nrt-usa)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31905346-post19.html
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:38 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Yep, been happening for a while for flights inbound from the U.S. Enjoy it while it lasts, when United moves all its flight to Haneda and its back to massive lines.
I did both NRT and HND from LAX a few times last month... We were all surprised when we walked into the gate area, at 58. It's at the end of a wing, so you needed to take an elevator up and walk down a long hallway - we all assumed someone would come running after us.

Definitely more enjoyable than HND, which had a single line for international transfers, with some confused pax trying to bring water from the plane through.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Originally only a trial early2019, now Supposed to be permanent for all usa-NRT flights. Includes UA, SQ, NH

As mentioned above, doesn't work for other direction (asia-nrt-usa)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31905346-post19.html
Was surprised that reasonableness exists when flying from US into certain airports in Europe, Istanbul, Narita. Now if the US was not so paranoid and reciprocate, it will reduce the multiple groping sessions.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Looking at SFO to TPE.
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Tokyo, JP (NRT)
- arrive 4:30pm
then a 17hr layover for Tokyo, JP (HND) to Taipei (TSA)
88k one way all business

How exactly does this work? Will there be special transportation from NRT to HND?

Any lounge to rest for the 17 hrs?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twkidM3
... How exactly does this work? Will there be special transportation from NRT to HND?
Provided as a part of your ticket, no
There are multiple ways to to get from NRT to HND -- there are direct private buses, trains (with a change), and very expensive taxis / car service

DOn't beleive lounges in Japan are open overnight
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Provided as a part of your ticket, no
There are multiple ways to to get from NRT to HND -- there are direct private buses, trains (with a change), and very expensive taxis / car service

DOn't beleive lounges in Japan are open overnight
And during pandemic and lockdown.. Do they even allow you to cross customs/immigration for you to go from NRT to HND?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And during pandemic and lockdown.. Do they even allow you to cross customs/immigration for you to go from NRT to HND?
You will have to be eligible to enter Japan
This is a land connection

Consolidated Haneda (HND) to/from Narita (NRT) transfers thread
Transfer HND to NRT

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm Reason: a couple of NRT-HND thread from Japan forum
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looking at SFO to TPE.
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Tokyo, JP (NRT)
- arrive 4:30pm
then a 17hr layover for Tokyo, JP (HND) to Taipei (TSA)
88k one way all business

How exactly does this work? Will there be special transportation from NRT to HND?

Any lounge to rest for the 17 hrs?
Currently, no person who visited the US or Canada within 14 days of presenting themselves for entry into Japan will be permitted to enter Japan - meaning, you'll need to select a different itinerary that has a connection within the same airport. You will not be able to enter Japan regardless of your passport, for no other reason than you are flying from, or via the USA. I don't know your travel dates, but this is the current policy and it's unlikely to change.
kirkwoodj and twkidM3 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
I think the only problem is if you miss your flight because the airport is closed overnight.
What do they do with you in that case? You can't enter the country... I assume that you have to stay in the airport overnight, right?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What do they do with you in that case? You can't enter the country... I assume that you have to stay in the airport overnight, right?
I imagine that they would put you on a later flight. If you're delayed even more, I imagine that your flight would just get canceled. To date, every single time I've needed to connect at NRT/HND, my flight has been delayed 3+ hours causing me to miss my connection, so I'm really hoping that doesn't happen this time.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
I imagine that they would put you on a later flight. If you're delayed even more, I imagine that your flight would just get canceled. To date, every single time I've needed to connect at NRT/HND, my flight has been delayed 3+ hours causing me to miss my connection, so I'm really hoping that doesn't happen this time.
I mean, what if you miss the last flight? The airport is closing and you can't enter the country... then what?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I mean, what if you miss the last flight? The airport is closing and you can't enter the country... then what?
I don't think either airport actually closes. Based on some recent trip reports I've seen, NRT/HND, they make you stay airside if you're transiting. I've seen people stay over 16h at HND airside, connecting US-Taiwan/SE Asia.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yes, I did it in February flying JL F, there are lots of reports in the JAL forum. Both the ANA and JL lounges have weird operating times depending on flight times.
Hopefully things will normalize soon.
Transit hotel is indeed closed at HND, and no overnight transit at NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.