Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The seats are less comfortable in the extra row (and it's quite a feat to make those slimlines even less comfortable). Plus the extra 3 minutes to offload is a real drag if you're as impatient as I am.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I always go with the exit row as I find it to be roomier than the bulkhead. You'll still have a good seat, though, if you stay with 7A.
By all means, those of you favoring the exit row should continue to take it, and leave row 7 to me.

I'm entirely content in Row 7, with the huge bulkhead cutout for legs and bags and ample room to get by seated (and sleeping) aisle pax.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
The seats are less comfortable in the extra row (and it's quite a feat to make those slimlines even less comfortable). Plus the extra 3 minutes to offload is a real drag if you're as impatient as I am.
Major +1. I avoid the exit rows on this plane, infact I avoid this plane on any flight over 2 hours. The airbus slim-lines are the second worst seat of anything that UA offers (first is the 777 seats at 10x). The seat pan is too short, and it is even shorter on the exit row. As a result your legs break in a weird way, causing loss of bloodflow.

Whoever designed these seats, and whoever ordered them for UA, should be taken out and shot.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, 7A and 7F are the best seats in the house as far as I am concerned.

I'm now a lover of 7A. I also sat in 1A. This is one of the few planes where I do not wish to get upgraded. I could stretch out my legs completely in 7A(thanks to the opening under the partition. In 1A, I couldn't completely stretch my legs. (unless they move the bulk head forward another 8 or 10 inches?

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Feb 8, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
The other good thing about the bulkhead in economy is you are most likely to get your choice of snack or beverage items. In the exit row, be prepared for "I'm out of that".
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:00 pm

My upcoming A320 flight has middle seats open in rows 7 and 21 - would you pick one of those or wait it out to see if anything opens up? Note flight is ~4 hours and only middle seats remain in other E+ rows.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I'm now a lover of 7A. I also sat in 1A. This is one of the few planes where I do not wish to get upgraded. I could stretch out my legs completely in 7A(thanks to the opening under the partition. In 1A, I couldn't completely stretch my legs. (unless they move the bulk head forward another 8 or 10 inches?
With the new F seats, I find row 1 to have incredible legroom - on the 320, not the 319.

Originally Posted by Senorcondimento
My upcoming A320 flight has middle seats open in rows 7 and 21 - would you pick one of those or wait it out to see if anything opens up? Note flight is ~4 hours and only middle seats remain in other E+ rows.
Take 7B and check back daily starting at 4 days out as the UDU peeps will start being moved up front. Plus 7D/E will be unblocked at 24 hours out.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by doug_999
With the new F seats, I find row 1 to have incredible legroom - on the 320, not the 319.

I was in row 1 on A320 and took this pic. Although I have no idea if it was the new or old first class seat. (but the seat itself was pretty worn-out)

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That's the new seat. Legroom is okay, but slightly less than it looks since the seats slide forward instead of reclining.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by findark
That's the new seat. Legroom is okay, but slightly less than it looks since the seats slide forward instead of reclining.
definitely, I was not able to fully stretch my legs like that shorter guy in the picture. I needed another 6 inches or so to avoid keeping my shoes on the bulkhead.

I didn't try to recline my seat all. I was in 1A. The guy in 2A was much bigger than me... he was probably around 6'8' and 350 pounds. I didn't feel like taking away his space for no good reason. I was comfortable enough. Ate and napped most of the way. (almost 6 hours total sent on the plane)
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in row 1 on A320 and took this pic. Although I have no idea if it was the new or old first class seat. (but the seat itself was pretty worn-out)

img
What kind of scene was going on outside the window that it needs to be redacted?
drewguy, SAPriorityTag and findark like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by fumje
What kind of scene was going on outside the window that it needs to be redacted?

reply redacted

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K

Hmm, I'm 6' 1" and that seat qualifies as one of the biggest leg room seats IMHO for United domestic first. While you may not be able to completely stretch ALL THE WAY out - you can do just about everything but - including easily stepping over your neighbor - much easier than 7A/F. I actually find rows 2 and 3 on this plan to have significantly less leg room than row 7, but not row 1.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by doug_999
Hmm, I'm 6' 1" and that seat qualifies as one of the biggest leg room seats IMHO for United domestic first. While you may not be able to completely stretch ALL THE WAY out - you can do just about everything but - including easily stepping over your neighbor - much easier than 7A/F. I actually find rows 2 and 3 on this plan to have significantly less leg room than row 7, but not row 1.
It really depends on your definition of leg room. Other than 1AB on the 753, I have never* sat in a recliner bulkhead where I could place my feet as far forward as in basically any non-bulkhead seat since you have all the room under the seat in front of you. I often stretch out and rest my feet on the crossbar of the next row.

*Okay, I guess still not quite true - any legacy VX plane, most of row 1 on the old 77H, but still...
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
+1 and I just booked EWR-PHX at other than 7D/E, E+ is completely empty. We normally book aisle seats across from each other so nobody has to sit in a middle and based on the posts in this thread, I am avoiding 21 C/D for concerns about seat comfort.

Anyone here disagree that a regular E+ aisle seat is more comfortable than an exit row aisle seat?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.