Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:31 pm
Y..
Original Poster

New RECARO seats on a320 question..

Could anyone that's actually flown in one of these new seats give me some feedback? My hubby and I will be flying United for the very first time in early July. Unfortunately, he fractured his pelvis in 4 places in a very bad accident about 3 years ago and it's never healed correctly. He has a lot of trouble sitting on anything hard. How are the bottom of these new seats? Is there any cushion in that area? He is bringing a blow up seat ring just in case (no it's not attractive but it's the only way he could fly on Airtran a year back, their seats are not very comfortable even to me).

I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, on these new Recaro seats.

Thanks so much,
Y..
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Y..
Could anyone that's actually flown in one of these new seats give me some feedback? My hubby and I will be flying United for the very first time in early July. Unfortunately, he fractured his pelvis in 4 places in a very bad accident about 3 years ago and it's never healed correctly. He has a lot of trouble sitting on anything hard. How are the bottom of these new seats? Is there any cushion in that area? He is bringing a blow up seat ring just in case (no it's not attractive but it's the only way he could fly on Airtran a year back, their seats are not very comfortable even to me).

I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, on these new Recaro seats.

Thanks so much,
Y..
I haven't flown on it so I can't tell you if the seats are comfortable or not, however UA ordered the comfort package of these seats which are supposed to provide more comfort then the base model version etc. However as of right now only 1 A320 has been reconfigured with these seats, so your chances are pretty good you'll get an A320 with the old configuration, seats etc.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Saw a report today of the new Recaro seat on twitter, it wasn't complimentary.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:03 am
Y..
Original Poster

Oh dear, that's not good to hear. We fly in 15 days. I guess it's a good thing he has his ring to sit on. Our flight is 2.45 hours. From Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale.

I appreciate the responses. I was hoping for better news.

Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Y..
Oh dear, that's not good to hear. We fly in 15 days. I guess it's a good thing he has his ring to sit on. Our flight is 2.45 hours. From Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale.

I appreciate the responses. I was hoping for better news.

The chance you're getting the new seats is about 1 in 100. The old seats are really good. You'll be fine.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fieldeng
Saw a report today of the new Recaro seat on twitter, it wasn't complimentary.
Link?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Hey everybody,

I read earlier in this thread about some versions of the 320 also having the cutout in 1EF. Is there any way to confirm which aircraft have that?

There are two of us travelling, 1B is already taken, so I've currently got 1EF, but I'm wondering if it's worth taking 2EF and dealing with a possible recliner in front of us for the increased legroom.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thank you!

For what it's worth, routing is SFO-STL, so about a 3.5hr. mid-con.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 23, 2013 at 3:11 pm Reason: merge/edit
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Link?
See here:
http://badice.com/2013/06/07/new-uni...n-improvement/

If you follow his twitter page, he mentioned that when these go system wide, he may be looking for a new carrier. They are that bad.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fieldeng
See here:
http://badice.com/2013/06/07/new-uni...n-improvement/

If you follow his twitter page, he mentioned that when these go system wide, he may be looking for a new carrier. They are that bad.
Looks like the exit row lost a decent bit of legroom
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Looks like the exit row lost a decent bit of legroom
I wonder if they also killed row 7?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by frankmu
I wonder if they also killed row 7?
Row 7 is still there and will be my seat of choice if I have to fly this config.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Row 7 is still there and will be my seat of choice if I have to fly this config.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm worried about less leg room in row 7.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Row 20 also used to have very good legroom (just no recline, so slightly worse than row 21)...is that lessened as well?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:25 am
Y..
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
The chance you're getting the new seats is about 1 in 100. The old seats are really good. You'll be fine.
Thanks so much SFO 1K, this makes me feel so much better. I just want my husband not to be miserable on a nearly 3 hour flight.

Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Y..
Thanks so much SFO 1K, this makes me feel so much better. I just want my husband not to be miserable on a nearly 3 hour flight.

Don't forget there's a natural bias here against change, especially if said change occurred post-merger I haven't flown on the new seats UA has installed yet, but I have flown extensively on flights with the less-comfortable version LH has and thought it was a slight improvement over the old, worn seats. Certainly not even remotely as bad as some people here are intimating.

So form your own opinion of course, but always take complaints you read here with a pinch (or ten) of salt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.