Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Freebird
Someone claimed that row 3 on the A-320 had a better degree of recline than 1+2. Any truth to that?
I'd say that it is about the same recline. Will seem luxurious compared to the last row on 738 or 739.

Originally Posted by onfo
Taking a redeye on an a320 and can either take 1A or 3A. I know row 2 is the best, but that's not an option. I am 5'9", is the bulkhead really that cramped? I'd prefer that if not.
I'm just shy of 6' and I feel quite comfortable in the bulkhead row.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
I'd say that it is about the same recline. Will seem luxurious compared to the last row on 738 or 739.

I'm just shy of 6' and I feel quite comfortable in the bulkhead row.
Thank you. IYE, is the bulkhead cutout on the AB side? I've read both.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by onfo
Taking a redeye on an a320 and can either take 1A or 3A. I know row 2 is the best, but that's not an option. I am 5'9", is the bulkhead really that cramped? I'd prefer that if not.
Nothing worse than having someone give your seat a nice kick and/or pull while trying to sleep. Thus I always take row 3 for the redeye. I don't want my seat touched!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Anyone have any great preferences as to which is better, Row 7 or Row 21? Been hunting around and no real consensus. I've heard that 7 has a cutout in the bulkhead, but is it also more roomy than the exit row? I also tend to prefer window if that makes a difference,
so 7A/F or 21A/F?

-Max
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by imax87
Anyone have any great preferences as to which is better, Row 7 or Row 21? Been hunting around and no real consensus. I've heard that 7 has a cutout in the bulkhead, but is it also more roomy than the exit row? I also tend to prefer window if that makes a difference,
so 7A/F or 21A/F?
Row 7 all day long. Tons of legroom. You can exit from the window without having anyone else move.

Arguably the best Y seat in the UA fleet (except for the darn slimlines).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Kacee
Row 7 all day long. Tons of legroom. You can exit from the window without having anyone else move.

Thanks! that's great to hear, since my earlier connection is on a CRJ2 I'll need some room to re-attach my shins.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by imax87
so 7A/F or 21A/F?

-Max
I agree with row 7 - but primarily because I think reclining in row 21 is just plain rude since those behind you do not have economy plus.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:04 am

the picture below is from SeatGuru. Does it accurately show seat 7A on UA A320? If so, I'm wondering how can the window seat guy get out without the people in B and C having to move?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by B_Rosenthal
the picture below is from SeatGuru. Does it accurately show seat 7A on UA A320? If so, I'm wondering how can the window seat guy get out without the people in B and C having to move?

Thanks!
Looks more like an A319 (which has a bit less space), but could be the A320. The guy in the photo seems to have their legs stretched out. B and C would probably have to pull in their legs for you to easily climb out, but they definitely don't have to move out of their seat.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by televisor
Looks more like an A319 (which has a bit less space), but could be the A320. The guy in the photo seems to have their legs stretched out. B and C would probably have to pull in their legs for you to easily climb out, but they definitely don't have to move out of their seat.
Also, I believe they "densified" the Y cabin when they slimlined the 319/320s. That photo is not consistent with the pre-slimline 320 layout. There was enough room for small children to use it as a play area.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:22 am

Also, I believe they "densified" the Y cabin when they slimlined the 319/320s. That photo is not consistent with the pre-slimline 320 layout. There was enough room for small children to use it as a play area.
the photo was from the UA A320 page on SeatGuru. The guy posted it on 7/26/2015
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...us_A320_V3.php

Below is the seat map from the flight I'm booked on. SFO to ORD.

Which seat will give me more room? 7A or 21C (the red circles)

I'm usually an aisle person, but if 7A can get out without B and C moving, then I'll pick 7A. (since there is zero chance of me clearing upgrade on this flight, as a new gold premiere)

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I'm a huge fan of 7 A/F, since I'm able to step out without bothering the other two people. Best seats in Y, IMO.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:29 am

12A/B/C on A320 - is recline limited or non-existent?

I am traveling with my 2 kids and our only options is 12A/B/C.
The seat map says limited/no recline.
Which is it and how bad is it?

I can get 12B/C now and 7F and hope for 7D/E.
I assume 7D/E opens 24 hours prior to departure.
What I'm also wondering is does the 24 hours start exactly 24 hours prior to departure or just after midnight the calendar day before?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I have had no recline and I have had 1/4" because the stopper slipped or some such. But near enough as the two terms make no difference. It's not like there is that much recline on the NON limited recline seats.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chuck1
I assume 7D/E opens 24 hours prior to departure.
What I'm also wondering is does the 24 hours start exactly 24 hours prior to departure or just after midnight the calendar day before?
I have not noticed a pattern to 7DE getting unblocked. Usually sometime on the day of departure; sometimes pax are assigned there before it is unblocked (they are held for accommodation after all).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.