Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gambda
I was booked on a 757-200 in J with lie flat seats from IAD- LAX in Oct. I was originally in 2B.
When I was doing my routine seat assignment check this morning for all my flights, I noticed they have changed this to an A320 aircraft and I'm now in seat 3B on that flight. Looking at the seat map, 1B is free at the moment.
Reading this :Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320 1B may be a better seat choice. Has anyone had any recent experiences ?
IMO there is no reason to prefer the bulkhead with the new F seats on the Airbus, since the seats don't recline, they slide. And there's no underseat storage. IMO the bulkhead is therefore less desirable.

btw, the change from lie-flats is probably grounds for a free change to a different flight.
findark likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
btw, the change from lie-flats is probably grounds for a free change to a different flight.
I did not know that but this segment is part of a bigger itinerary - I will be flying in from RDU that day and when I look at seat maps and aircraft, if I want a lie flat seat I will now have to fly via IAH which is a 757-200 or via DEN but that's a 777-200 with that 'weird' config

So I managed to change the reservation for free. Now on RDU-EWR-LAX with the EWR-LAX on the 757-200 lie flat with ample connection time in EWR.
I did note that there was a 787-10 departing EWR around the same time as the 757 but agent couldn't move me to that flight..bummer
Thanks for the tip.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2019 at 9:47 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
A320 First Class

flew first class a couple days ago. IMO the seats in the last row are the best
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree. On 319/320, it's either row 7 or exit row (preferably 21) for me.
When traveling in pairs, would you prefer the exit rows (or row 7) with additional legroom or standard E+ with the ability to flip up the armrest between the two seats?

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Jan 15, 2020 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:35 pm

My upcoming A320 flight is a little over 6 hours long(according to schedule).

These three are the only remaining open window or aisle seats. (plus a few middle ones)

7A

20C

21A

I just picked 7A. I should have plenty of legroom, right?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, 7A and 7F are the best seats in the house as far as I am concerned.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, 7A and 7F are the best seats in the house as far as I am concerned.
Do you still feel that way when traveling with a significant other with the immovable armrests?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Do you still feel that way when traveling with a significant other with the immovable armrests?
Yes, although we're equally likely to take 7AC and just stay there if the middle is taken

However, the fact that the window is actually worthwhile when compared to the exit row is a big factor.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by findark

However, the fact that the window is actually worthwhile when compared to the exit row is a big factor.
You just lost me.... isn't there a window in the exit?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky

These three are the only remaining open window or aisle seats. (plus a few middle ones)

7A

20C

21A

Thanks!
I am a 21 C and D person myself. Like the leg room and it does recline... my "hobo first" seat. I'll take 21A if aisle are taken but I generally board last so as a courtesy to others I take the aisle seats.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I am a 21 C and D person myself. Like the leg room and it does recline... my "hobo first" seat. I'll take 21A if aisle are taken but I generally board last so as a courtesy to others I take the aisle seats.
was in exit window on 737-800 on AA a few months ago. the guy in the aisle seat refused to let me get out to go to the lavatory. well... he didn't technically "refuse" but he was in such deep sleep, I ended up summoning the flight attendant just to make sure that he was still alive. the FA had to shake the guy before he woke up. when I rushed to lavatory, I realized just how bad my dog felt when I came home late.....
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

7A

20C

21A

Thanks!
I always go with the exit row as I find it to be roomier than the bulkhead. You'll still have a good seat, though, if you stay with 7A.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I always go with the exit row as I find it to be roomier than the bulkhead. You'll still have a good seat, though, if you stay with 7A.
I'm perfectly content in either, but I have a slight preference for 7A/F for the non-obstructed view and quicker exit after arrival at the gate. Although I've noticed that the exit row has a slightly higher chance of an empty middle seat (on non-full flights) since GAs seem to assign seats for standbys front to back.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Agreed, it actually is roomier, but 7A would be my 2nd pick.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You just lost me.... isn't there a window in the exit?
There is a tiny thing mounted in the exit door, out of which you can see an airplane wing and sometimes the reflection of the sun as it heats your seat uncontrollably, yes
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.