Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chismosito
I am in 6B from ORD to FRA. Is there space to easily get past a sleeping 6B if I take 6A?
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You will have no problem as long as you are able to step over the person in the aisle.
Also if the person in 6B sleeps knees up and feet flat on the seat, you will have issues stepping over the person.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by chewylouie
My Question is. My wife and I are going to Greece in the summer ...It looks to me like the middle seats in Global First are not what we be best for us to talk and see each other.

Right now we have row 1 window and the 1 isle....

Are the 2 middle seats in global first ok for a couple???

Is there clear sight for us to sit in the middle seats........

is there a partition in between seats in the middle ??

looks like on the seating chart the middle seats face away from each other.... Thank you for help
IMHO - Row 1 is not as good as the middle seats if travelling together and you want to socialize in F. Take the middle seats.

s
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by chewylouie
My Question is. My wife and I are going to Greece in the summer ...It looks to me like the middle seats in Global First are not what we be best for us to talk and see each other.

Right now we have row 1 window and the 1 isle....

Are the 2 middle seats in global first ok for a couple???

Is there clear sight for us to sit in the middle seats........

is there a partition in between seats in the middle ??

looks like on the seating chart the middle seats face away from each other.... Thank you for help
FWIW, GF is a waste of money and or points. There are only two "marked" differences between it and BF: a longer bed by 2" I believe and a ramekin of soup. Everything else is the same as BF.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW, GF is a waste of money and or points. There are only two "marked" differences between it and BF: a longer bed by 2" I believe and a ramekin of soup. Everything else is the same as BF.
Exactly. The only other differences are MUCH more personal space, more personal attention, not having to fight crowds for the bathroom, a mattress pad and better pillows/blankets, and access to the vastly superior GF lounges.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Exactly. The only other differences are MUCH more personal space, more personal attention, not having to fight crowds for the bathroom, a mattress pad and better pillows/blankets, and access to the vastly superior GF lounges.

I flew both BF and GF last month. Personal attention in GF? After dinner the flight attendants hung out and didn't make a round for over an hour.

Fight crowds for the bathroom? Hardly. Never had to wait for a bathroom in BF.

Yes the mattress pad is better, I agree.

The quietness of the GFL is nice too.

So overall "thicker" pad and quieter lounge (now with food you have to order no more buffet style). If those are important to you then by all means go for it.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
I flew both BF and GF last month. Personal attention in GF? After dinner the flight attendants hung out and didn't make a round for over an hour.

Fight crowds for the bathroom? Hardly. Never had to wait for a bathroom in BF.

Yes the mattress pad is better, I agree.

The quietness of the GFL is nice too.

So overall "thicker" pad and quieter lounge (now with food you have to order no more buffet style). If those are important to you then by all means go for it.
The additional personal space in GF is what makes it for me. The BF seat (especially the pmCO seat IMO) is extremely tight. I can see how BF seems great if you are upgrading from coach but no one paying for J would accept UAs dated product. GF is the only reason to pay for BF.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: MP-1K 2MM, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Flew in 8A on IAD-KWI, and 8K on KWI-IAD. Probably the best seats in the larger business cabin. I did not head a single noise from the lavs, and smell/light was not an issue.

You will have no problem as long as you are able to step over the person in the aisle.
Thanks for everyone's help. I think I will stick with 6B so I don't need to climb over someone sleeping. I was wishing 6A had more space in front of the seats and you could get around the sleeper without climbing over. I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
The additional personal space in GF is what makes it for me. The BF seat (especially the pmCO seat IMO) is extremely tight. I can see how BF seems great if you are upgrading from coach but no one paying for J would accept UAs dated product. GF is the only reason to pay for BF.
I agree 100%. Especially if we're talking about a pmUA 772, where they've basically squeezed eight seats across into a space that can properly accommodate only six. Ask someone who just sat in a middle seat on a pmUA 772 for a 12 hour flight whether they would have preferred to sit in GF.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree 100%. Especially if we're talking about a pmUA 772, where they've basically squeezed eight seats across into a space that can properly accommodate only six. Ask someone who just sat in a middle seat on a pmUA 772 for a 12 hour flight whether they would have preferred to sit in GF.
The old configuration with 7 across seemed reasonable to me. If they had stayed with 2-3-2 for lie flats each seat could be about 3" wider. Plus fewer dreaded middle-middle seats (and you can go out either way from the middle of 3.)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
The old configuration with 7 across seemed reasonable to me. If they had stayed with 2-3-2 for lie flats each seat could be about 3" wider. Plus fewer dreaded middle-middle seats (and you can go out either way from the middle of 3.)
+1
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
Chances of an empty middle seat?

I know there are a lot of variables, but I'm curious about what more experienced flyers might do in this situation...

I'm flying IAD-DXB on Thursday on a UA 777-200. Here is the current seat map (I know, I know, it may not be accurate.)

I am in Exit Row 33K. Zero chance of upgrade. If this were you, would you keep the exit row and hope that the middle stays open, or move to one of the open widows in 28-30, hoping that those middle seats would be less likely to fill than the exit row?

I guess the question is are the middle rows on economy plus more likely to fill in the exit rows before the other rows? I know this may be impossible to predict and I doubt I'll actually move at this point, but I'm just curious as I gear up for my first ever MR.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by jb691809
I know there are a lot of variables, but I'm curious about what more experienced flyers might do in this situation...

I'm flying IAD-DXB on Thursday on a UA 777-200. Here is the current seat map (I know, I know, it may not be accurate.)

I am in Exit Row 33K. Zero chance of upgrade. If this were you, would you keep the exit row and hope that the middle stays open, or move to one of the open widows in 28-30, hoping that those middle seats would be less likely to fill than the exit row?

I guess the question is are the middle rows on economy plus more likely to fill in the exit rows before the other rows? I know this may be impossible to predict and I doubt I'll actually move at this point, but I'm just curious as I gear up for my first ever MR.
It's almost certain that someone will take the middle exit row. Especially once the other open window seats fill up (Exit Row Middle > Std. E+ Seat). I'd say if you want any chance of an open middle seat you should move to one of other open windows.

I'd guess that the middle E+ (non exit row) seats are the last to fill.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swixo
IMHO - Row 1 is not as good as the middle seats if travelling together and you want to socialize in F. Take the middle seats.

s

Yep, I prefer the middle pairs when traveling with the Wife. You can toast, chat, and even hold hands if you are willing to extend your a bit! You get air vents too!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:19 am

My gf and I are on the IAD-DXB flight currently in 34G and 34D (34E is still open and will switch with them if it fills up) and wanted to know how much leg room there is on these seats...the first page didn't provide too much insight. We have inflatable ottomans we'd like to use on this flight and want to make sure it fits (don't judge it's a long flight!). Does anyone know approx how many inches between the seat and the wall???

We have 20A/20B on the way back and I'm certain it won't be an issue on the return.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I just grabbed 6A for IAD-LHR, hope to sleep as much as possible, do I need to worry about losing this seat? I thought I had read that sometimes 6AB are used for flight attendant rest seats. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.