Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I just grabbed 6A for IAD-LHR, hope to sleep as much as possible, do I need to worry about losing this seat? I thought I had read that sometimes 6AB are used for flight attendant rest seats. Thanks!
Sometimes used as pilot rest seats. FAs get seats at back of E+ section.

But if it's not blocked then you shouldn't get bounced.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I just grabbed 6A for IAD-LHR, hope to sleep as much as possible, do I need to worry about losing this seat? I thought I had read that sometimes 6AB are used for flight attendant rest seats. Thanks!
Originally Posted by drewguy

I have once reserved 6B but got reassigned to last middle seat in J because of an after-the fact blocking. I think 6A is safer than 6B.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium

OK, thanks, will keep 6A for now...IAD-LHR is pretty short so not sure they even need pilot rest seats.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Question: choice of two aisle seats:

6H (small business cabin but central section), or 9B (larger business cabin next to 9A only)?

Forward or back facing not an issue for me.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PanAmWT

6H (small business cabin but central section), or 9B (larger business cabin next to 9A only)?

I prefer aisle over central section, but the forward cabin is quieter.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

I would take 6H.

I find little difference between aisle seats (sides versus center).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Has anyone sat on 30C in Economy Plus? I'm debating if I should pay extra for the legroom in EP.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_2_New.php
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:29 am

row 31 window?

Two questions about E+ on a 777 v2:
(https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...77/200/v2.aspx)

1. Is row 31 -- the row with 2 pairs vs 3-3-3, missing a window? Seatguru shows the very similar v1 (with the missing center row 28) is missing the row31 window, but appears to show that row 31 on the v2 *does* have the window. Likewise, someone far up this thread implied that his 31K seat had a window.

Any definitive answer on the row 31 window question?

2. Any guesses as to how likely to find an empty middle seat in E+, on an ORD-HNL flight in late April (weekday)? Wife and I are travelling, and basically this situation: row 20 pairs are taken; if row 31 is windowless, that's out; otherwise, we consider E+ worth it to get an empty middle, but if not, E- is ok (we're both short so legroom isn't a killer).

E+ on our flight is almost empty now, so we could buy an aisle-window or aisle-aisle pair. But if that middle seat fills closer to departure, we'd regret the choice Any guesses on the odds appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by flyerguy99

2. Any guesses as to how likely to find an empty middle seat in E+, on an ORD-HNL flight in late April (weekday)? Wife and I are travelling, and basically this situation: row 20 pairs are taken; if row 31 is windowless, that's out; otherwise, we consider E+ worth it to get an empty middle, but if not, E- is ok (we're both short so legroom isn't a killer).

E+ on our flight is almost empty now, so we could buy an aisle-window or aisle-aisle pair. But if that middle seat fills closer to departure, we'd regret the choice Any guesses on the odds appreciated.
No specific experience on this flight, but if it's not elite heavy you're more likely to get an empty middle in E+. If the plane is full, you'll get one neither place, but otherwise E- will fill first.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I would take 6H.

If anything you're less likely to have someone climbing over you in the middle aisle, as those seats are the last to fill.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 10, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I would take 6H.

If anything you're less likely to have someone climbing over you in the middle aisle, as those seats are the last to fill.
^ I have also had family of 3 take the other seats, which means they always exited the row the other direction.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
I just reserved 5E on the EWR --> BOM flight for tomorrow Feb 11.
I know it is a long flight, and I am hoping to sleep as much as possible.
Is there anything I need to worry about?
My other choices were 2B or 8A.
Any suggestions?

Got delayed by a day from my original routing MSP-IAD-FRA-BOM, to tomorrow's MSP-EWR-BOM. Still don't know what was the cause of the delay of MSP-IAD this evening Feb 10?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Global First - No curtains, lights on all the time?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone with experience in GlobalFirst on the 777 can help. I recently flew GlobalFirst in a 767 ORD-LHR, in seat 1A, and it was AWFUL. Even though the galley isn't on that side of the aircraft, the light from the crew seating area would not go off (so claimed the purser) and the curtain as you know is now translucent/transparent. So, I sat there with the light shining into my seat the entire overnight flight. That along with many other miserable experiences in Global First that night, made me sincerely wish I was back in BusinessFirst.

Now I'm faced with a Global First flight from Bahrain to IAD, on the 777. Does anyone know if it's the same set-up? If I take seat 1A, will I have the same light problem shining through for the whole flight? (They have the best seats - 2A and 2K - in GF blocked for crew - of course.)

Thanks for your advice!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
:
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Hi,

Now I'm faced with a Global First flight from Bahrain to IAD, on the 777. Does anyone know if it's the same set-up? If I take seat 1A, will I have the same light problem shining through for the whole flight? (They have the best seats - 2A and 2K - in GF blocked for crew - of course.)

Thanks for your advice!
I always go for 2C if 2K is blocked. I know it's not a single but the seats angle away from the partner one and you don't see much of the person there. If travelling with my wife I ALWAYS grab that one.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Hi,

I'm hoping someone with experience in GlobalFirst on the 777 can help. I recently flew GlobalFirst in a 767 ORD-LHR, in seat 1A, and it was AWFUL. Even though the galley isn't on that side of the aircraft, the light from the crew seating area would not go off (so claimed the purser) and the curtain as you know is now translucent/transparent. So, I sat there with the light shining into my seat the entire overnight flight. That along with many other miserable experiences in Global First that night, made me sincerely wish I was back in BusinessFirst.

Thanks for your advice!
So far this year, I've had 1A LAX-LHR and 2A IAD-PEK and the "hallway" lights were on most of the time on both flights and no curtain.

Surprisingly, I actually found the lighting less bothersome sitting in 1A over 2A. In 2A, I felt that I was more or less in direct line of sight to the hallway light, whereas in 1A, I was somewhat angled away from it.

It's just a shame that UA can't or won't install proper curtains and actually use them. And those tissue-like curtains don't count!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I prefer aisle over central section, but the forward cabin is quieter.
I would take 6H.

Thanks for the replies. On balance I guess I should choose 6H for the small cabin. However, I have a theory that would like to invite comments. I think the seatmate for the center aisle may be less happy than the window seatmate because he or she is in the center seats of four. Will this make a difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.