Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Given the choice, I always go with rear facing - I prefer head marginally above feet, rather than the other way around.
I would normally agree, especially as I love the rear-facing seats, but my only concern would be the light shining into 7A from the galley. On such a short flight (6~? hours in the air), I'd rather be in the forward facing and in a part of the cabin where it will be dark, allowing the most sleep.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I would normally agree, especially as I love the rear-facing seats, but my only concern would be the light shining into 7A from the galley. On such a short flight (6~? hours in the air), I'd rather be in the forward facing and in a part of the cabin where it will be dark, allowing the most sleep.
Not that it matters much, but it is an 8 hour flight that departs at 10 p.m. I assume there will be dinner service (2 hours?) and breakfast (1 hour out or so?). Does that sound right? That leaves roughly 4-5 hours to sleep. . . .
Old May 16, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mmthomps
Not that it matters much, but it is an 8 hour flight that departs at 10 p.m. I assume there will be dinner service (2 hours?) and breakfast (1 hour out or so?). Does that sound right? That leaves roughly 4-5 hours to sleep. . . .
Sounds right. They do offer the executive dining option, which will deliver all of the items on one tray vs. dragging out the meal. This is a good thing to do on an east bound TATL.

I believe breakfast is served about 90 mins out these days, though I usually sleep through it and grab something at the airport. The food will have been chilled in the galley for several hours and is usually pretty nasty.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:52 pm

Oh, good to know about that option; thanks!
Old May 16, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Sounds right. They do offer the executive dining option, which will deliver all of the items on one tray vs. dragging out the meal. This is a good thing to do on an east bound TATL.

When we've asked, its not been available. Maybe it depends on the crew.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mmack
When we've asked, its not been available. Maybe it depends on the crew.
I was offered the EDO on IAD-KWI, which I gladly accepted as I was working.

They couldn't expedite the ice cream, but I was still working when it made an appearance.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Air CP, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Couldn't find this anywhere with searching! I was scheduled on a 747 from NRT to SFO a few days ago which was cancelled, after sitting on board for two hours. We were moved to a 777-200 version 5 leaving the next day, NRT-EWR. The version five is apparently the best one, 2-2-2 configuration in business with 23" width on all seats. Noticeably wider! Is there a way to find out which routes these fly? Also, does anyone know why this is the only UA plane that has the 2-2-2 with 23" width? Looks wider than any of the true first class seats. Three extra inches on a 13 hour flight really helps.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enicideme
Couldn't find this anywhere with searching! I was scheduled on a 747 from NRT to SFO a few days ago which was cancelled, after sitting on board for two hours. We were moved to a 777-200 version 5 leaving the next day, NRT-EWR. The version five is apparently the best one, 2-2-2 configuration in business with 23" width on all seats. Noticeably wider! Is there a way to find out which routes these fly? Also, does anyone know why this is the only UA plane that has the 2-2-2 with 23" width? Looks wider than any of the true first class seats. Three extra inches on a 13 hour flight really helps.
It's the continental businessfirst seat. A completely different concept for business.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enicideme
Is there a way to find out which routes these fly?
They fly pretty much exclusively out of IAH and EWR, the former CO hubs.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:13 pm

Pre-spiel tl;dr: Redeye TATL, 6JK or 10JK?

A friend and I are currently booked in 10JK on a TATL flight. I've never flown in the pmUA J seats before, and had booked us in the rear-facing seats on the understanding that they're better for sleep. Now that 6JK are open, I'm wondering if those are a better choice because of the lack of risk of Y noise and potential to be served dinner quicker. Trade-off, of course, is that they're forward-facing. What do people think?

Last edited by mgcsinc; Jun 3, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Pre-spiel tl;dr: Redeye TATL, 6JK or 9JK?

A friend and I are currently booked in 9JK on a TATL flight. I've never flown in the pmUA J seats before, and had booked us in the rear-facing seats on the understanding that they're better for sleep. Now that 6JK are open, I'm wondering if those are a better choice because of the lack of risk of Y noise and potential to be served dinner quicker. Trade-off, of course, is that they're forward-facing. What do people think?
I'd do 6J/K, even though I'm a huge fan of the rear facing seats.

Are you currently in 8J/K? 9J/K are forward facing seats.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:19 pm

I'd do 6J/K, even though I'm a huge fan of the rear facing seats.

Are you currently in 8J/K? 9J/K are forward facing seats.
Sorry, meant 10JK. I've fixed my post above.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Pre-spiel tl;dr: Redeye TATL, 6JK or 10JK?

A friend and I are currently booked in 10JK on a TATL flight. I've never flown in the pmUA J seats before, and had booked us in the rear-facing seats on the understanding that they're better for sleep. Now that 6JK are open, I'm wondering if those are a better choice because of the lack of risk of Y noise and potential to be served dinner quicker. Trade-off, of course, is that they're forward-facing. What do people think?
I have to agree with choosing 6JK. In my experience (and I've sat just about everywhere in both biz cabins of this plane), they're the best seats you can get. I prefer an aft-facing seat, but you can't beat these for quiet, privacy, and quick meal service.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Lost my seats to a FAM! Traveling with my partner and had 6A/6B confirmed for a flight tomorrow. Went to check in and we have been bumped to 7G/7H with 6A still open and 6B occupied. Called UA and after acknowledging that we had booked the original seats they put me on a long hold while they investigated and said it was due to "operational reasons" and there was nothing they could do. He even mentioned unprompted that operational reasons could include a FAM among other things and that they typically prefer this seat, although they could not say what it is in this case.

Regardless the only non-middle section now available is 6A and I think it's safe to say 6B would not want to switch seats to accommodate me and partner traveling together. What is left outside of taking the aisle/middle we have now is mid-section aisles behind each other (7H/8H). Is that better?

Also, the middle row 9 has all 4 seats open - we could snag the aisles on both ends and hope they avoid seating anyone in the middle. The flight has R9 availability so there's no one on the WL although I know non-revs or last minute changes are always possible.

Any advice?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by daslax
Lost my seats to a FAM! Traveling with my partner and had 6A/6B confirmed for a flight tomorrow. Went to check in and we have been bumped to 7G/7H with 6A still open and 6B occupied. Called UA and after acknowledging that we had booked the original seats they put me on a long hold while they investigated and said it was due to "operational reasons" and there was nothing they could do. He even mentioned unprompted that operational reasons could include a FAM among other things and that they typically prefer this seat, although they could not say what it is in this case.

Regardless the only non-middle section now available is 6A and I think it's safe to say 6B would not want to switch seats to accommodate me and partner traveling together. What is left outside of taking the aisle/middle we have now is mid-section aisles behind each other (7H/8H). Is that better?

Also, the middle row 9 has all 4 seats open - we could snag the aisles on both ends and hope they avoid seating anyone in the middle. The flight has R9 availability so there's no one on the WL although I know non-revs or last minute changes are always possible.

Any advice?
Just had the same thing happen to me...we reserved 6AB, were moved to the middle of row 9, however 6AB were not blocked when I ran OLCI and when I checked in, I was able to move us back - now I'm wondering if this was a risky move because while I don't mind playing mind-games with a FAM and coercing them to move so my companion and I can sit together, I don't want a situation where we're bumped to Y because there is no place to move us - however the cabin is still booked under capacity and we've paid for J, so no upgrades should clear until we're seated in case we need to move.

I definitely do not want to sit in the middle section, but if the consensus is the risk is very high that one or both of us will lose our seats due to a pain-in-the-a** FAM or the seats being used for crew rest, I will redo OLCI and move us to other seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.