Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I have the 10pm IAD-LHR coming up and just switched my travel companion and myself from 7 A/B to 8 J/K. Even though it seems like dinner service is fairly scarce on that route, the idea of facing commotion and light (even with blinders and ear defenders) had me worried. We've slept fine in 8 A/B before, so I guess this will be fine.

I reluctantly took 6 J/K on a TPAC recently and I'm now a convert. Despite the fact that they face forward, I've found them the darkest and quietest in the cabin. Let's face it, we don't fly business class for the food. Well, maybe the sundaes.

I would avoid 8 C/H in any circumstance unless it meant flying in Y. They seem to face right at the lav and I've noticed it bothers just about anyone who sits there.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
Which is preferable? 10JK or 9AB for a trans-PAC? (UA 836 PVG-ORD)

Last edited by hopel; Jun 23, 2013 at 5:03 am Reason: Clarify
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by hopel
Which is preferable? 10JK or 9AB for a trans-PAC? (UA 836 PVG-ORD)
I'd take 9AB (assume you're a pair of travelers) because neither of you is sitting/looking right at the front of coach.

If you want to fly backwards (which I and a number of others prefer) then 10JK.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: 1K
Hi. On ORD-HKG tomorrow I am in 7B, and 6B is open: Was wondering whether I should switch to forward-facing 6B. I have heard a few people say that they are better able to sleep flying backwards, and indeed I think I may have noticed myself that sleeping backwards seems easier. My explanation for it was that the tilt of the plane places one's head below one's feet when facing forward. However, I don't know why they wouldn't correct for this by just applying a few-degree tilt to the seats? Is there some other reason people prefer backwards? All other things being equal, I'd prefer not to face the galley.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by HKChicago
Hi. On ORD-HKG tomorrow I am in 7B, and 6B is open
IMO, you're better off where you are.
Dave
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by HKChicago
All other things being equal, I'd prefer not to face the galley.
Then switch. You do face the galley in 7B. Forwards/backwards is personal preference.

BTW, I thought 6B was a pilot rest seat on most 777 flights.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:17 am

I'm on UA877 LAX-PVG early next week. E- is full, but E+ is still wide open.

Right now I'm in 20J, which is a great seat. However, I'd rather have a D or G seat if the middle seat stays empty. If I change to... say 25G, how likely is it that 25E will stay empty until departure?

Last edited by sincx; Jun 27, 2013 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sincx
I'm on UA877 LAX-PVG early next week. E- is full, but E+ is still wide open.
What's the flight load on your flight? A full E- means a ton of people w/o seat assignments will end up in E+ at check-in. I'd stay with your current seat.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:44 am

Hard to know if the flight will fill up. With E- totally full there are likely a number of passengers without seat assignments, and they will probably be put in E+ on the day of the flight.

Also, as you might imagine, even those middle seats fill up front to back. I think your best chance at an empty middle would be, say, row 29. But this is all a gamble. It's also a gamble that a couple won't take the other two seats. You'll have to keep checking regularly--I did just this starting from 22G, and I kept moving hoping to keep an empty middle. About 2 days out I stopped because everything was filling in. A couple hours later my upgrade cleared, but in the meantime I had spent a lot of time moving based on the same strategy and went from Row 22G to Row 27D (or something) and still had all three seats filled.

If I had 20J I would probably sit tight with it until day of departure and see what things look like.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What's the flight load on your flight? A full E- means a ton of people w/o seat assignments will end up in E+ at check-in. I'd stay with your current seat.
Flight is showing:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O4, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN9, I9, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Flight is showing:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O4, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN9, I9, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Seems like a light load, and may be some empty E+ middles - but honestly, you're in a great Y seat at the front of the Y cabin; pax shouldn't be going between Y and J, so it should be pretty tranquil up there. Lot of legroom - you can make a poor man's J seat by putting a rollerboard on the floor in front of you. I'd stick with what you have IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Flight is showing:
I took this flight in January and everyone in E+ (~20) each took their own set of 3 seats while E- was full. YMMV
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:10 am

Okay, I'll keep checking as we get closer to departure. I might even wait until I'm at the gate. Thanks everyone.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:14 pm

Anyone have good BF seat recommendations for a group of three? Is it better to ABA, ABB, or ABC?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by americancow
Anyone have good BF seat recommendations for a group of three? Is it better to ABA, ABB, or ABC?
Do you all really need to talk to each other? I'd skip 3 in the middle (if you're all adults) - 2 on the side and an aisle in the middle could work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.