Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find the rear-facing seats to be much more conducive to sleep on long-haul TPAC and TATL flights.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
You want to be in seats next to each other in A/B or J/K, not the middle block of 4 seats.

8B and 9B can't see each other - they have the video monitors and foot rest pods between the seats. Here's what the seat and monitor look like:

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2...s-class-seats/

Google "united 777 business class" or something similar for more pictures of seats and the actual cabin layouts
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: ALL Black Limitless | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Ambassador | Avis President's Club
Hmm, in that case seats like 7K 7J and 7A and 7B seem most interesting? Most privacy, rear-facing and not facing other passengers.

Similarly with row 10 but only when the curtains are closed.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
last time in BF i flew in 6b and 7k. i prefer the mini-cabin on the 777 as it is quieter and more private (well, as private as you can get in an 8-across configuration). i noticed no appreciable difference in the rear and front facing seat except on takeoff.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Synthesis
Hmm, in that case seats like 7K 7J and 7A and 7B seem most interesting? Most privacy, rear-facing and not facing other passengers.

Similarly with row 10 but only when the curtains are closed.

Correct me if I'm wrong
The curtains aren't exactly opaque.

Agree with others - you want a pair together. I did sit 9J across from 9H (daughter in 9K) and one could talk and look at each other, but you want a seat pair.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: ALL Black Limitless | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Ambassador | Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
The curtains aren't exactly opaque.

Agree with others - you want a pair together. I did sit 9J across from 9H (daughter in 9K) and one could talk and look at each other, but you want a seat pair.
Thanks for the tips guys. Will be a seat pair.

Btw is it so that some 'opposite-facing' seats have a 'wall/separator' in between whereas other opposite-facing seats do not?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:57 pm

Btw is it so that some 'opposite-facing' seats have a 'wall/separator' in between whereas other opposite-facing seats do not?
No - it's a herringbone pattern. The opposite facing seats are always across an aisle. Seats in each pair (plus all four in the middle) each face the same way. Given the length of the seats plus the distance across the aisle, your head is several feet away from the head of the person facing the opposite way.

Each seat-pair does have a small divider between the seats that is most obvious when you're lying down.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

All seats have a video monitor/wall at your feet, so you never look directly at another person. Rows 6 and 7 are no different other than the direction they face. Row 6 faces forward looking at the wall between BF and GF. From 6b or J, you do look at the C and H seats, but they are across the aisle. This is exactly the same for row 7 B and J, but they face the bathrooms and galley with no curtain IIRC (and are rear facing). Go over to airliners.net and use the photo search engine to get pictures of the seats so you can understand what the real layout is.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I had 7B IAD-DXB and did not care for it as it faced the galley and a rather bright light. The curtains were rarely drawn.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
So this is the seatmap for my upcoming FRA-ORD flight. Where should I sit? I've never flown new C in a 777. I'm currently in 7C, but also have open 9C/H, or 10A/B or 10J/K. Any experiences?

Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So this is the seatmap for my upcoming FRA-ORD flight. Where should I sit? I've never flown new C in a 777. I'm currently in 7C, but also have open 9C/H, or 10A/B or 10J/K. Any experiences?

Not great options. It's unlikely all of Row 9 will stay empty, but of course an aisle next to an empty middle is better than what you have.

The only real upgrade of seats are the 10A/B or 10J/K. I would favor 10A or 10K because I like windows (even though these look at the wings). From these seats you are not staring directly into the coach cabin, unlike 10B/J.

If you want an aisle I'd stay put--you're going to have someone climbing over you no matter what.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

I would keep your seat. I always enjoyed row 6&7 because it felt a bit quieter than row 8-10.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:29 pm

I'm inclined to stay in the smaller front cabin, although I do enjoy a good window, and the back cabin is pretty open at the moment. Then again, when is FRA-ORD ever that empty for long? I'm sure plenty of 1Ks and GSs will be redeeming their GPUs to move up from coach...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tods27
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the 77D of row 27 DEF seats. The ones right in front of the crew rest seats. I assume these have regular recline, but I'm not sure what the curtains are like for the crew rest area. I'm considering 27D for a FRA-ORD flight next week.
I didn't get any responses on this, but I kept 27D anyway. I will say that I would put it as a very good Y seat, given that you don't have anyone poking at the AVOD or grabbing your seat as a handrail. The curtains that they put up for the crew rest seats are fully behind the seat back, so don't interfere at all. I did have an FA come running up when I went to put my rollaboard in the bin behind my seat. She was concerned that I would want to access it during the flight and apparently the curtains make that really difficult. It wasn't a problem.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:30 am

Woo, lucky me. 7 J/K opened up, so I snagged 7K. Doubtful that 7J will stay open for long, but I'm a happy camper now - a window in the quiet section!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.