Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by bsd107
Thank you for the feedback. Good to know that you can see into the bathroom from 13B - I would have thought it was offset enough that you wouldn't see this. That doesn't sound too pleasant - but would this still be better than sitting in the lower cabin?
Remember, in row 13 you are rear-facing. You will have to crane your neck and contort your body to see INTO the lav. There may be a bit of light at night as the door opens and closes, but in my experience that is not a problem since you can wear your eye shades to sleep. I am always aisle seat, and find 13 B very comfortable.

The upper deck is one of the best experiences on United. As the pilot said one day, its like your own private jet. Enjoy.

We fly the 747 on March 30th and April 7 so will report back.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Experience with 8A or 8K?

Any experiences others can share about 8A or 8K (next to the lavatories)? Do you hear the flush every time? Does the smell of the lavatory linger above your seat? I'm a light sleeper and debating whether to take 8A/8K.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by sface
Any experiences others can share about 8A or 8K (next to the lavatories)? Do you hear the flush every time? Does the smell of the lavatory linger above your seat? I'm a light sleeper and debating whether to take 8A/8K.
Have sit in 8K probably 10 times. Our favorite. No problem sleeping, for Mrs BZ or myself.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Have sit in 8K probably 10 times. Our favorite. No problem sleeping, for Mrs BZ or myself.
Thanks BZ. Can you hear the flushing?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by sface
Thanks BZ. Can you hear the flushing?
Don't recall it.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Outside of the Lav traffic, what are the pitfalls to 12JK?

I sat in 14AB a few years ago and loved it. How does 16 compare to 14?

Note that I'd really rather avoid sitting backwards. It's a Fung Shue thing for me.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:12 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I sat in 14AB a few years ago and loved it. How does 16 compare to 14?

Note that I'd really rather avoid sitting backwards. It's a Fung Shue thing for me.
16 is closer to the galley so there is a little more noise. I would still choose 16 over sitting downstairs.

I also don't like to sit backwards and would choose 16 over 15 for that reason. YMMV.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I always loved anything upstairs either with the new configuration or the old Barca Loungers.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Taking SFO-PEK and back later this month and am booked on the UD (duh). Would you take row 13 or row 15? I've flown 13A several times and enjoy it but wondering if 15 offers the best of everything...same seat, slightly further away from the lav and away from the cockpit door that opens & closes several times during the flight due to crew movement/changes. One downside is row 15 is at the exit row...noisier?

Thanks,
RM
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Taking SFO-PEK and back later this month and am booked on the UD (duh). Would you take row 13 or row 15? I've flown 13A several times and enjoy it but wondering if 15 offers the best of everything...same seat, slightly further away from the lav and away from the cockpit door that opens & closes several times during the flight due to crew movement/changes. One downside is row 15 is at the exit row...noisier?

Thanks,
RM
Personally I would rank the rows 14>15>13. I'm not such a fan of 13 due to issues you identified plus offset of the seats to the video screen.

Sometimes the FAs will do drink/meal service from the exit area between 14 and 15 which can be a little noisy but it's never bothered me (and I'm sensitive to that kind of thing).

You can do the backwards escape out of 14 and 15 but not 13.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Thanks,
RM
I've always been a big fan of row 15. Haven't noticed any increased noise on various flights to FRA and SYD.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've always been a big fan of row 15. Haven't noticed any increased noise on various flights to FRA and SYD.
Same experience here. I never noticed extra noise.

You also get off the plane slightly earlier than row 13, that is, if you need to go through Immigration or transit security.

If you plan to do rear escape, 15K is easier than 15A.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Neil35
If you plan to do rear escape, 15K is easier than 15A.
That depends on the aircraft and how the exit door is configured.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That depends on the aircraft and how the exit door is configured.
Thanks for the correction.

Never realized there are different configurations.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by sb3
16 is closer to the galley so there is a little more noise. I would still choose 16 over sitting downstairs.

I also don't like to sit backwards and would choose 16 over 15 for that reason. YMMV.
Would you pick 12 over sitting downstairs? I don't intend to sleep so I don't think the lav traffic would bother me that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.