Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 747FC
HNL-NRT is another one.
Not any more.

The clock keeps ticking for the Queen of the Skies...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Not any more.

The clock keeps ticking for the Queen of the Skies...
Yikes! I was just on it late last year. I see that going forward, it is now scheduled as either a 777 or 787.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:31 am

Seems like the view of the wing/engine is great from row 15.

How is the view from 13K? Is the outer engine and wing visible, or is this seat too far forward to see anything?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Please forgive me as I know this was mentioned in here before. I've heard about downfalls to row 12. Outside of lav traffic what are the downfalls? Also, how does row 16 compare to row 14?

We're doing ORD-PEK and my last time on a 747 we did row 14AB and I really really liked it. Unfortunately we'll be booking much closer to departure and the 14s may be taken.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Yikes! I was just on it late last year. I see that going forward, it is now scheduled as either a 777 or 787.
The daily HNL-NRT changes depending on the month so it seems. I'm booked on it this June on the 747 instead of May's 777 . Then July it changes to 787.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
This thread had helped out a lot.

Im 6'3" and have tried a bunch of BF seats on my lasts few SFO-HKG runs.

The UD, although quiet and a cool experience, most definitely had noticeably smaller seats when trying to sleep.

I'm gonna stick to the aisle 78" BF seats (listed in the wiki) from now on on the lower deck.

Thanks again for the helpful thread!!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:45 pm

Question regarding BF window seats on the UD. For taller folks, is it possible to use the storage cabinets next to the window as a "shelf" to put one leg on while sleeping?

I've only flown in United BF on 772's, am 6'1.5", and have found that feet can be cramped in the sleeping position.

Based on pictures, it's hard to tell, but it looks like the lids for the storage bins are a little higher than the foot-shelf under the screen, but not hugely different in height.

Just wondering if it's possible to spread out and use that for one leg while sleeping. Might make up for the shorter bed length on the UD.

(I used to do this in the old UA business class upper deck recliner seats, which is what made me think of this.)

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bsd107
Question regarding BF window seats on the UD. For taller folks, is it possible to use the storage cabinets next to the window as a "shelf" to put one leg on while sleeping?

I've only flown in United BF on 772's, am 6'1.5", and have found that feet can be cramped in the sleeping position.

Based on pictures, it's hard to tell, but it looks like the lids for the storage bins are a little higher than the foot-shelf under the screen, but not hugely different in height.

Just wondering if it's possible to spread out and use that for one leg while sleeping. Might make up for the shorter bed length on the UD.

(I used to do this in the old UA business class upper deck recliner seats, which is what made me think of this.)

Thanks!
Yes, still possible.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:06 pm

For a couple travelling with the choice of 13AB, or instead in 13JK, which is the preferred pair?

Is 13B close enough to the lavatories to be an issue? One advantage of 13AB is no passengers behind, so theoretically more isolated.

One area of confusion for me is the seat angle. I had previously been looking at a seat map which appears to be an early UAL seatmap that properly shows the stagger of the seat rows in the forward section of the upper deck (it's the only one I've found which does show that). This map also shows the seat angles, and it shows 13AB angled away from the window, and 13JK angled towards the window. However, this runs counter to postings I see here that say 13A angles towards the window, and I've seen a picture posted by a passenger in 13K which (based on the footwell location) appears to angle away from the window.

Is there any variation in which seats angle towards or away from the window, or is the seat map I found incorrect?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
For a couple travelling with the choice of 13AB, or instead in 13JK, which is the preferred pair?

Is 13B close enough to the lavatories to be an issue? One advantage of 13AB is no passengers behind, so theoretically more isolated.

One area of confusion for me is the seat angle. I had previously been looking at a seat map which appears to be an early UAL seatmap that properly shows the stagger of the seat rows in the forward section of the upper deck (it's the only one I've found which does show that). This map also shows the seat angles, and it shows 13AB angled away from the window, and 13JK angled towards the window. However, this runs counter to postings I see here that say 13A angles towards the window, and I've seen a picture posted by a passenger in 13K which (based on the footwell location) appears to angle away from the window.

Is there any variation in which seats angle towards or away from the window, or is the seat map I found incorrect?

Thanks!
Never seen UD seats angled.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

Thanks!
13 AB are our favorite seats. They are NOT angled. There is copious under window storage There are TWO bathrooms nearby, but its not noisy. We are about to try 13 JK, but I expect they will be fine also.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mmack
13 AB are our favorite seats. They are NOT angled. There is copious under window storage There are TWO bathrooms nearby, but its not noisy. We are about to try 13 JK, but I expect they will be fine also.

Enjoy!
I've used both and enjoyed both. Maybe the lone drawback to 13AB is that you can actually see people going in and out of the bathroom (and see into the bathroom) out of the corner of your eye, which may be kinda icky and which adds a little more light into a darkened cabin. This is not an issue in 13JK, which are shielded from the bathroom wall by row 12.

So if you have a choice, 13JK are a (very slightly) better bet.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Never seen UD seats angled.

The footwell at each seat definitely is either on the left edge or the right edge of the seat. My understanding is that the upper deck seats are very slightly angled either to the right or to the left to align with this. Regardless, the footwell alignment would slightly impact how you angle when sleeping.

(I cannot confirm myself that the seats themselves are angled on the UD, as I've only been in these seats on 777-200's.)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My understanding is that the upper deck seats are very slightly angled either to the right or to the left to align with this.
"Angled" is the wrong word, because it suggests an alignment similar to that used with the sCO seats and the IPTE set up is completely different.

Some of the UD seats are offset from the row in front due to the narrowing of the fuselage. This is particularly pronounced in row 13. The seat itself is not angled but your viewing angle towards the video screen (which is mounted over the row 14 footwells) is noticeably offset.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mmack

Enjoy!
Thank you for your feedback!

As you are about to try 13JK, I will be eager to hear how you think they compare.

While you are in 13JK, could you please let me know how well you can see the passengers in 13AB?

I will be traveling as a family (four people total) in the upper deck, and unfortunately due to a few strategically occupied seats, 13AB/13JK is the best option on the upper deck where we can somewhat see each other. We don't want to have long conversations, but would like to be able to lean forward and "check in" on each other during the flight.

After your flight in 13JK could you please let me know how the seats look from this perspective?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by harryhood
I've used both and enjoyed both. Maybe the lone drawback to 13AB is that you can actually see people going in and out of the bathroom (and see into the bathroom) out of the corner of your eye, which may be kinda icky and which adds a little more light into a darkened cabin. This is not an issue in 13JK, which are shielded from the bathroom wall by row 12.

So if you have a choice, 13JK are a (very slightly) better bet.
Thank you for the feedback. Good to know that you can see into the bathroom from 13B - I would have thought it was offset enough that you wouldn't see this. That doesn't sound too pleasant - but would this still be better than sitting in the lower cabin?

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Angled" is the wrong word, because it suggests an alignment similar to that used with the sCO seats and the IPTE set up is completely different.

Some of the UD seats are offset from the row in front due to the narrowing of the fuselage. This is particularly pronounced in row 13. The seat itself is not angled but your viewing angle towards the video screen (which is mounted over the row 14 footwells) is noticeably offset.
Thanks for the clarification - I didn't realize the cabin narrowed at row 13!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2015 at 7:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quoting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.