FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Local lockdowns in the UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2025295-local-lockdowns-uk.html)

DaveS Jul 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by under2100 (Post 34421251)
Would also appreciate predictions on when to expect the all clear. This is my first time, triple vax (actually five times, but ...), old, and negative on the day before (not shown). I think I picked it up standing in the massively overcrowded immigration arrivals hall at LHR Weds morning 6Jul for an hour. The 14 hours prior, I was on a long transatlantic in a pod seat, and immediately after I went home by car and saw no one else apart from my partner who has tested negative every day since. I would guess that about 30% of people in the arrivals queue around me were masked (I amused myself by counting the 50 people ahead and 50 people behind in the snaking line).

It's been pretty terrible for me, cycling through a variety of symptoms that seem to randomly come and go for several hours, chills, running nose, blocked nose, tachycardia, massive headaches, body ache, wet coughs, dry coughs, nausea, wobbliness. However, never a fever and saturation 98+, I know that's classed as mild since I didn't go to ER, but far worse than any cold I've ever had, and probably worse than flu, although I can't remember the last time I had flu. The coughing is violent and keeps me from sleeping - it reminds me of the whopping cough I had several years ago which was also very unpleasant.

test

I hope you do feel better soon. And I suspect it will be soon. If I had to guess (and I can not claim to be an expert) I would say your next test will show a more feint line.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by under2100 (Post 34421251)
It's been pretty terrible for me, cycling through a variety of symptoms that seem to randomly come and go for several hours, chills, running nose, blocked nose, tachycardia, massive headaches, body ache, wet coughs, dry coughs, nausea, wobbliness. However, never a fever and saturation 98+, I know that's classed as mild since I didn't go to ER, but far worse than any cold I've ever had, and probably worse than flu, although I can't remember the last time I had flu. The coughing is violent and keeps me from sleeping - it reminds me of the whopping cough I had several years ago which was also very unpleasant.

I hope you quickly recover, though it wouldn't surprise me if you have a couple of weeks of getting very tired quite easily every evening. I've a feeling you have another 4 days given the symptoms and the line. If tomorrow has a thick line then it's 4 days, if tomorrow is much less distinct then you will be clear in 2 days.

nk15 Jul 14, 2022 8:27 pm

under2100 Jul 15, 2022 2:18 am

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 34422787)
I hope you do feel better soon. And I suspect it will be soon. If I had to guess (and I can not claim to be an expert) I would say your next test will show a more feint line.

Thank you for your kind wishes! Your prediction was right, it WAS faint the next day and I had high hopes, but maybe that was an experimental error or daily fluctuation, but the following day was stronger positive which was depressing. However, this morning I am happy to be negative. Thanks for your reports and keeping them going in spite of the paucity of data. It's the first thing I look for when I browse the forum.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fd4d37d7b1.jpg
one week to clear

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34423310)
I hope you quickly recover, though it wouldn't surprise me if you have a couple of weeks of getting very tired quite easily every evening. I've a feeling you have another 4 days given the symptoms and the line. If tomorrow has a thick line then it's 4 days, if tomorrow is much less distinct then you will be clear in 2 days.

Thank you for your input, you were right! I am negative today at last. I haven't noticed tiredness as such. I think the coughing fits are the worst for me, they come out of the blue several times an hour, which persists for a few hours, then they go away for awhile. If it happens at night, I don't get any quality sleep. The headaches were next worst but they mostly stopped a couple days ago. I don't suppose it's possible to get a recovery certificate nowadays in case countries get skittish about Centaurus? And, is there any point in entering the newly negative test in the system? I noticed the positive one propagated to my gps record.

FWIW, the 'lollipop' tests (that's what they look like to me) supplied by my workplace were pretty useless. Or not very sensitive at any rate. They kept saying I was negative the whole week. Maybe that's because they don't want people taking sick leave.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff3cae2775.jpg

corporate-wage-slave Jul 15, 2022 9:38 am

Originally Posted by under2100 (Post 34427698)
Thank you for your input, you were right! I am negative today at last. I haven't noticed tiredness as such. I think the coughing fits are the worst for me, they come out of the blue several times an hour, which persists for a few hours, then they go away for awhile. If it happens at night, I don't get any quality sleep. The headaches were next worst but they mostly stopped a couple days ago. I don't suppose it's possible to get a recovery certificate nowadays in case countries get skittish about Centaurus? And, is there any point in entering the newly negative test in the system? I noticed the positive one propagated to my gps record.

All fascinating stuff isn't it. The coughing should stop fairly soon, it's rare for that to be a pesistent thing. Personally I don't see the need for recovery certificates, you are almost guaranteed to get 3 plus months of negative tests now, which will be one small advantage of this. Generally registering information is better than not doing so, but I must admit I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble.

Dan1113 Jul 15, 2022 9:43 am

Cws, I'm calling on your wisdom for this question.

If we tested positive for covid about a month ago, and thus became negative on antigen a week and a bit after that, what are the chances that a PCR on arrival in Canada, if randomly selected, would be positive next week? 3-4 weeks tops after the antigen went negative? There's 3 of us, we all had it roughly at the same time.

Feeling very nervous about this!

I'm exempt as my PCR result from January exempts me, but the others have no PCR proof of their June infection.

DaveS Jul 15, 2022 10:58 am

Today's weekly data from the ONS survey. In the week ending 6-7 July2022:

One in 19 people in England had Covid (last week one in 25)
One in 17 in Wales had Covid (last week one in 20)
One in 17 in Northern Ireland had Covid (last week one in 19)
One in 16 in Scotland had Covid (last week one in 17)

This is data from a week ago. Hopefully next weeks release will suggest that we are at the peak.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 15, 2022 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113 (Post 34428676)
If we tested positive for covid about a month ago, and thus became negative on antigen a week and a bit after that, what are the chances that a PCR on arrival in Canada, if randomly selected, would be positive next week? 3-4 weeks tops after the antigen went negative? There's 3 of us, we all had it roughly at the same time.

Very low risk, sub 1 in 100, heading to 1 in 1000 risk area. It wouldn't concern me if I was in that position.

Dan1113 Jul 16, 2022 1:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34429715)
Very low risk, sub 1 in 100, heading to 1 in 1000 risk area. It wouldn't concern me if I was in that position.

You've made my day. The one who had it first will be at the four week mark, nearly, and the one who had it last will be at the three week mark when we arrive in Canada. Thank you!

Though when I told them this 1 in 100 they said was very high chances so stress hasn't been relieved with everyone sadly!

Dan1113 Jul 16, 2022 6:10 am

Quick follow up, does how sick you got impact on the odds? Two of us, for whom it was our second time, was borderline asymptomatic, but one, for whom it was his first time, had mild symptoms like coughing. Would his odds of testing positive be the highest?

plunet Jul 16, 2022 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113 (Post 34430826)
Quick follow up, does how sick you got impact on the odds? Two of us, for whom it was our second time, was borderline asymptomatic, but one, for whom it was his first time, had mild symptoms like coughing. Would his odds of testing positive be the highest?

Based upon my experience, impossible to say. An example is from local NHS Staff who had virtually no symptoms but continue to currently test positive at 20 days (and that's both PCR and Antigen). And there are many others who had bad symptoms but quickly stop being infectious. How COVID impacts you and your body can fight the infection to a point where you are no longer transmissive can vary tremendously. And of course the specific varient you caught, which most people don't know for certain.

​​​

corporate-wage-slave Jul 16, 2022 8:45 am

I would go along with the previous reply. One would perhaps think that bad infection = lots and prolonged markers for COVID-19 but it doesn't work that way. Everyone has a personal trek in this area and though some aspects are predictable, many aspects are not. One which is predictable and may assist you is that a correctly done throat and nose lateral very rarely shows an opposite result on PCR.

Dan1113 Jul 16, 2022 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34431124)
I would go along with the previous reply. One would perhaps think that bad infection = lots and prolonged markers for COVID-19 but it doesn't work that way. Everyone has a personal trek in this area and though some aspects are predictable, many aspects are not. One which is predictable and may assist you is that a correctly done throat and nose lateral very rarely shows an opposite result on PCR.

Interesting. I have the flowflex tests with me. If I do it in my throat then nose (instead of just nose) do you think that would be an accurate reflection then? Or do you mean I would need one of the really old lateral flows meant to go into the throat too?

corporate-wage-slave Jul 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113 (Post 34431893)
Interesting. I have the flowflex tests with me. If I do it in my throat then nose (instead of just nose) do you think that would be an accurate reflection then? Or do you mean I would need one of the really old lateral flows meant to go into the throat too?

They all work more or less the same way, the only difference really being whether the supplied swab is long/bendy enough for the throat. You want throat then one nostril, same swab, go slowly, but you don't need to overdo it. If you do have COVID still it doesn't need a massive dig around. The advice to do both locations has been around for a bit, but from Omicron onwards it really is quite accurate.

DaveS Jul 16, 2022 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113 (Post 34431893)

I have always done both, even with the Flowflex kits. Initially because I did not read the instructions, but then because it was suggested doing both would be more accurate.