FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Local lockdowns in the UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2025295-local-lockdowns-uk.html)

corporate-wage-slave Oct 31, 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098 (Post 32785835)
Need to see exact wording of these regulations as I have a trip to London planned for next weekend...

Yes, you are correct that we will need to wait to see what happens, and Grant Shapps' Twitter feed may give us some clues in due course. My guess is that this isn't in line with the spirit of this move, but it would be difficult to legislate against this. There is often a view that people arriving in this country won't necessarily know what the new rules are, as if the internet and 24 hour news channels hadn't been invented, and so some leeway is given.

KARFA Oct 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ZZ100 (Post 32785875)
So you are coming to the UK to quarantine in your family's house... I'm not sure many would agree that that is quarantining unless you were actually not going to see them....
A certain political aid had the same argument about quarantining with family during the first lockdown and we know what the popular opinion on that was!

just to clarify this point. if you are required to self-isolate due to arriving from a country not on the exemption list, you do not have to self isolate from anyone in the household you are staying in.

(8) Paragraph (2) does not require P to remain in isolation—

(a)from any person with whom they were travelling when they arrived in England and who is also self-isolating in the place where P is self-isolating,

(b)where P is self-isolating in their home, from any member of their household,

(c)where P is self-isolating in the home of a friend or family member, from any member of the household of that friend or family member.
by definition though that does mean you would have to self isolate from any visitors to that household - although having visitors to that household may fall foul of the tier system lockdown and/or the national lockdown which is coming.

KARFA Oct 31, 2020 2:51 pm

Some initial guidance for the national lockdown. Full credit to jerry a.laska for finding it https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32785912-post4561.html

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nati...rom-5-november

paulaf Oct 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32785933)
Some initial guidance for the national lockdown. Full credit to jerry a.laska for finding it https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32785912-post4561.html

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nati...rom-5-november

So that's game over then for 99% of flights.

NewbieRunner Oct 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098 (Post 32785835)
What about inbound international travelers (not UK residents)? I didn't get anything from the press conf that would clarify that. What if I'm visiting friends / family in the UK, quarantining with them for the duration of my stay, and then departing? Not sure if that falls into "leisure". Could also argue that then departing the UK is "essential" in a sense as I'd need to get home and don't want to be stranded there. Need to see exact wording of these regulations as I have a trip to London planned for next weekend...

This is only a guidance but under:

3. Meeting with family and friends
You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.
A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

It may depend on whether you are permitted to form a support bubble with your family while self-isolating.

Silver Fox Oct 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 32785967)
This is only a guidance but under:

3. Meeting with family and friends
You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.
A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

It may depend on whether you are permitted to form a support bubble with your family while self-isolating.

A household with one adult is a household with one adult. That's it.

CosmosHuman Oct 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Just saw Boris Johnson shut down the UK for the next month. My sympathies. How will Remembrance Day ceremonies be held to be socially distance? Will be difficult, I guess. I remember going to the Centopath, IWM, and RAF museums during that week.

ringingup Oct 31, 2020 5:53 pm

I have a self catering stay in the UK, near London, coming up next week, starting before Thursday. The plan was always to just relax and work from somewhere different, enjoy some walks in the proximity of the house, not meet anyone and not go out for meals, etc. So from a personal and societal point of view, the impact was always going to be pretty low.

How do you think the lockdown will impact stays due to start before Thursday? I’m wondering if a host would be under the obligation of not letting a property during the lockdown period even if the stay began before lockdown.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2020 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 32786331)
How do you think the lockdown will impact stays due to start before Thursday? I’m wondering if a host would be under the obligation of not letting a property during the lockdown period even if the stay began before lockdown.

If it is a commercial booking, then the hospitality sector is supposed to close on Thursday unless it is work related accommodation, work canteens or takeaway food. So for example I imagine AirBnB will be advising its clients accordingly in the next few days. Another guide point is that people are not advised/allowed to use second homes unless it is work related.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2020 2:37 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 32786175)
Just saw Boris Johnson shut down the UK for the next month. My sympathies. How will Remembrance Day ceremonies be held to be socially distance? Will be difficult, I guess. I remember going to the Centopath, IWM, and RAF museums during that week.

In the Statutory Instruments for the previous Tier 1 to Tier 3 system, there was a set of specific guidance and rules (exemptions mainly) for Remembrance events. I expect this will be carried over to the new SI. I gather there will be some events, reconfigured somewhat, smaller events may be cancelled, but I expect the museums to be closed.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2020 3:23 am

For the record, this is what the guidance is for travel, as things stand on 1 November, and will apply from 5 November until 2 December 2020, subject to the consent of Parliament. There is a clear prohibition on leisure travel, plus hefty restrictions on the hospitality sector. This will probably lead to flight cancellations, so regardless of Travel Corridors, aviation travel will become restricted, and the PLF system will effectively give a paper trail on those who seem to be travelling for non essential purposes.

11. Travel
You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport.

Essential travel includes, but is not limited to
  • essential shopping
  • travelling to work where your workplace is open or you cannot work from home
  • travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
  • hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health.
If you need to travel we encourage you to reduce the number of journeys you make, walk or cycle where possible, or to plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed- including holidays in the UK and abroad. This includes staying in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes.

You must not travel if you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating as a result of coronavirus symptoms, are sharing a household or support bubble with somebody with symptoms, or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

If you need to use public transport, you should follow the safer travel guidance. This includes the rules on wearing face masks and advice on car sharing.

Developments in the coronavirus pandemic remain uncertain around the world. No travel is risk-free. If you do need to travel abroad before 2 December (and are legally permitted to do so, for example, because it is for work), even if you are returning to a place you’ve visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice and the current travel corridor list.
My bolding. I would expect further updates in the next few days on the above section.
Source UK.gov

Radiation Station Nov 1, 2020 3:42 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32787037)
For the record, this is what the guidance is for travel, as things stand on 1 November, and will apply from 5 November until 2 December 2020, subject to the consent of Parliament. There is a clear prohibition on leisure travel, plus hefty restrictions on the hospitality sector. This will probably lead to flight cancellations, so regardless of Travel Corridors, aviation travel will become restricted, and the PLF system will effectively give a paper trail on those who seem to be travelling for non essential purposes.

My bolding. I would expect further updates in the next few days on the above section.
Source UK.gov

Thank you. Presumably you are allowed to return from a holiday if you departed prior to 5th November? I’m thinking of changing my flights from this coming weekend to 3rd November so we can get away for our holiday before the changes come in.

NewbieRunner Nov 1, 2020 3:49 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 32786175)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32786986)
In the Statutory Instruments for the previous Tier 1 to Tier 3 system, there was a set of specific guidance and rules (exemptions mainly) for Remembrance events. I expect this will be carried over to the new SI. I gather there will be some events, reconfigured somewhat, smaller events may be cancelled, but I expect the museums to be closed.

For information the relevant Welsh Statutory Instrument lists the following exceptions about Remembrance Day events under Requirement not to gather with other people:

A person also has a reasonable excuse to gather with another person to attend an event to commemorate Remembrance Sunday that—

(a) is held on 7 or 8 November 2020;
(b) is held outdoors;
(c) has no more than 30 people attending.
Yesterday’s announcement only covers England. Northern Ireland and Wales are already in lockdowns which are expected to end on 13th and 9th respectively.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2020 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station (Post 32787059)
Thank you. Presumably you are allowed to return from a holiday if you departed prior to 5th November? I’m thinking of changing my flights from this coming weekend to 3rd November so we can get away for our holiday before the changes come in.

Yes, that's OK, but be aware of the risk of flight cancellations for the return, and potentially being under extra spotlight in terms of PLF / self isolation scrutiny.

Radiation Station Nov 1, 2020 4:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32787070)
Yes, that's OK, but be aware of the risk of flight cancellations for the return, and potentially being under extra spotlight in terms of PLF / self isolation scrutiny.

Thanks. I’m going to book two flights back on separate days with two different carriers - they aren’t expensive and it seems prudent.