The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: BA
I've always been disappointed that Heathrow Express, once the train service shuts down for the night, doesn't arrange a regular coach service between Heathrow and Paddington, to give a 24x7 service. It always seems there is sufficient demand for this. Certainly cabs are for hire at Heathrow (and at Paddington) all night, and there seems a continuous flow of those from delayed flights, people stuck in immigration, people for early flights who want to get out there extra early, etc.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:42 am
formerly known as ravishah

I user Uber to get back to my place only costs be £2-3 more than my drop-off from a local cab form so that seems fair-enough for me.

I just use the app and order as I walk off the plane (domestic travel at the mo) and they are there within 4-5 mins by the time I get out of the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I recently booked a round-trip executive car service with 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer (LHR – City – LHR). http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk/. For the LHR-to-City segment the driver was waiting at the designated meeting point on time. The car was a MBZ E-Class estate/wagon. All went well.

For the return City-to-LHR segment my original pick-up time was 5:50am. Four days before the pick-up, there was a flight change, so I called 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer. During the first phone call I gave the agent my new pick-up time of 3:50am and my flight details. The agent hung up on me. I called back and again gave my updated details. The agent said that the change was confirmed.

On the day of pick-up NO ONE came to my hotel at the requested 3:50am pick-up time! My concierge called 24/7, and the agent at 24/7 said that no one had called to make any changes to the original reservation (?!). Furthermore, the 24/7 agent said that there were no available cars/drivers and thus could not take me to LHR. My concierge was able to get me a taxi in a matter of seconds.

So – please consider this as a warning if you choose to use this car service!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
I recently booked a round-trip executive car service with 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer (LHR – City – LHR). http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk/. For the LHR-to-City segment the driver was waiting at the designated meeting point on time. The car was a MBZ E-Class estate/wagon. All went well.

For the return City-to-LHR segment my original pick-up time was 5:50am. Four days before the pick-up, there was a flight change, so I called 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer. During the first phone call I gave the agent my new pick-up time of 3:50am and my flight details. The agent hung up on me. I called back and again gave my updated details. The agent said that the change was confirmed.

On the day of pick-up NO ONE came to my hotel at the requested 3:50am pick-up time! My concierge called 24/7, and the agent at 24/7 said that no one had called to make any changes to the original reservation (?!). Furthermore, the 24/7 agent said that there were no available cars/drivers and thus could not take me to LHR. My concierge was able to get me a taxi in a matter of seconds.

So – please consider this as a warning if you choose to use this car service!
Sorry it didn't work for you.

I too had to make a change with 24/7 this week. I managed to arrange to get rebooked on BA2 to LCY, from the BA4. I called 24/7 from the lounge at JFK, confirmed the change and that it was getting in early.

In fact the flight got in even earlier than planned, and the driver was there ready and waiting for the two hour trip to LHR.

BTW, my free 20th trip is loaded in to their system and I can cash it at any point through their online system.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Just used http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk and was very impressed and happy. They had by far the lowest price quote on LHR to Bristol and I paid extra for "VIP" car - got a navy blue BMW 7 Li (important detail!) with a driver who was quiet, courteous, and very good. Didn't want to take tip either (well deserved). Rates were 145 GBP for basic, ~160 for exec (E or BMW 5) and 187 GBP for VIP (S class, A8, BMW 7). For a 2.5h trip this was IMO a very good price.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:46 pm

How about 4 guys, 1 bag each, going from central London (Soho) to LHR at 7am on a Monday morning? Would it be better to take a taxi, Uber or arrange for a car?

Looking for the best mix of convenience, value and cost.

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Pre arranged car should be around 35-40 quid to LHR, so 10 per head. Travel time, allow at least 50mins, 1hour to be safe. Tube would be around 4 pounds each, travel time of say 45mins, but clearly no brainer here in terms of comfort.

I am not sure if Uber operates a fixed rate to LHR. I know that it charges a flat £40 from LHR into Central London.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:59 am

Pre-arranged car ("Minicab") :

Hotel front desk can organise.
Good if you absolutely know when you will be ready.
Cheaper.
Normal sedan/Crossover so maybe a squash for 4 (American) guys
Multiple heavy bags can be a problem to fit in.
Company probably the "favourite" of the front desk.
Driver generally not English-first-language.
Reasonable knowledge of route but may be over-reliant on GPS.
Reasonable driving ability.
Imported vehicle - Mercedes etc.

London Black taxi :

Doorman can get you one from the street on the spot.
Good if you just want to leave when you are ready and go.
More expensive than minicab.
Taxi seats 4 (or even 5) adult passengers no problem.
Multiple heavy bags no problem.
Driver London native.
Possibly a grouch, hopefully not. Can comment on every building along the way if desired.
Knows every street, traffic lane, potential jam location, shortcut etc intimately.
Very good driving skill (may not look like it at the time, but they absolutely have it)
Iconic British-built (in Coventry) vehicle.

Take your pick.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Iconic British-built (in Coventry) vehicle.
Though not always (alas).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
So I searched the thread on this topic and didn't find anything, wondering if there are any experiences that anyone has which can shed light.

I recently got into a bit of a row with Uber over a customer service issue–the exact nature isn't relevant here but I'm trying other alternatives for my airport trips. I've recently gotten into using Gett, I've done two trips back and forth to City and just recently did a trip from my home out to Heathrow. Their fixed prices are similar, if slightly higher than Uber Exec, but the drivers know the routes better and lately my Uber Exec drivers have all been Lewis Hamilton types so I'm happy with the somewhat more sedate LTI ride.

Here's the question: if I want to use Gett for a Heathrow pickup, how does that work? The powers that be strongly encourage those picking up passengers to park, and are policing passenger set-down areas to ensure people aren't waiting. It worked quite well at City, but I'm curious if anyone has used Gett at Heathrow for a pickup and can share experiences.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Hi I searched the thread but couldnt find anything except from 2012...

I want to hire a cab to take my wife and 5 month old from LHR to Windsor...

Is there a particular car service that offers car seats for babies?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by conklaven
Hi I searched the thread but couldnt find anything except from 2012...

I want to hire a cab to take my wife and 5 month old from LHR to Windsor...

Is there a particular car service that offers car seats for babies?
Have a look at the Windsor transportation thread I referred you to in your other thread. In that thread, there are recommendations for Windsor Cars and 5Star.

The website for Windsor cars states that they can supply child seats upon request. http://www.windsorcars.com/services.html
You will want to confirm this ahead of time.

You could check 5Star's website or email them to see if they do the same.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Have a look at the Windsor transportation thread I referred you to in your other thread. In that thread, there are recommendations for Windsor Cars and 5Star.

The website for Windsor cars states that they can supply child seats upon request. http://www.windsorcars.com/services.html
You will want to confirm this ahead of time.

You could check 5Star's website or email them to see if they do the same.

Thanks! I must have missed the link. Reading on my phone
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:14 am

Unlike in certain countries, child seats are not required in the UK in taxis.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Unlike in certain countries, child seats are not required in the UK in taxis.
What do people do just hold the infant? Seems very dangerous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.