FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1373885-ongoing-lhr-taxi-minicab-car-service-discussion.html)

noreaga Jun 7, 2011 8:03 pm

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Hi everyone,

After doing some research on here, but not finding exactly what I was after, I figured I would open a new thread.

I'm looking for recommendations on what taxi service to use to pick me up from Heathrow and get me to my flat in Islington. I've come across Addisson Lee and Airport Direct, Just Airports and Airport Executive. The prices seem to be all over the place, as does the level of service. Some companies meet you at arrivals, some wait at a pre-determined area, etc.

I figured I would ask those of you who have used these services yourself. I'm not looking for anything overly fancy (i.e. i dont really need a driver dressed up in a uniform with white gloves on), but I do want them to be there on time to be reliable.

Thanks !

statsman Jun 8, 2011 12:35 am

I use LHR Express Cars for work travel. They offer whatever you want in terms of either meet & greet or pick up at specified location. Always found them to be pretty reasonable rates and not once in over 3 years of use have they been unreliable.

noreaga Jun 8, 2011 7:06 am

Recommendations on taxi service from LHR to N7 in London

Hi everyone,

After doing some research on here, but not finding exactly what I was after, I figured I would open a new thread.

I'm looking for recommendations on what taxi service to use to pick me up from Heathrow and get me to my flat in Islington. I've come across Addisson Lee and Airport Direct, Just Airports and Airport Executive. The prices seem to be all over the place, as does the level of service. Some companies meet you at arrivals, some wait at a pre-determined area, etc.

I figured I would ask those of you who have used these services yourself. I'm not looking for anything overly fancy (i.e. i dont really need a driver dressed up in a uniform with white gloves on), but I do want them to be there on time to be reliable.

Thanks !

Smirnoff Jun 8, 2011 7:14 am

I highly recommend the north london firm Expressways.
http://www.expressways.co.uk/

You can book online, and you can track your car online - once the car has been allocated, so you know exactly how far away it is.

Drivers are smart. Very reliable. And a fraction of the cost of Addison Lee or black cabs.

On arrival, they will stand with a sign, where you exit customs. No additional parking fee, it's included in the price you pre-pay.

fluzao Jun 8, 2011 7:29 am

a cheap choices: http://www.airports247.co.uk/

Expatbear Jun 8, 2011 8:32 am

cheapest will always be a local firm to your destination in N7; they charge more to collect because of the wait time/parking.

addison lee is consistent and never disappointing. almost as good as a black cab, frequently more comfortable, and occasionally cheaper. (not always!) :D

noreaga Jun 8, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I definitely looked into Addisson Lee and a few other firms, but they were extremely pricey ! I do like the fact that they are reliable and offer good service, but I cannot really afford the cost.

Esharpest Jun 8, 2011 9:16 am

I've been using Fairway & Kenwood lately - www.fairwaycars.co.uk. About £35, if I remember correctly, from NW postcodes to LHR, an extra fiver for the return journey. Nothing fancy but they've always been reliable and are cheap.

Mind you, one recent driver started a conversation with "Now, I'm not a racist, but..." before laying into the least-favoured ethnic group of the day. But generally they've been fine (and I've been subjected to far more such tirades by black cab drivers than by minicab drivers).

noreaga Jun 8, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you ! Anyone else ?

noreaga Jun 9, 2011 5:49 am

OK, Addisson Lee is charging 76 pounds for the trip. Another firm called Airport Executive is quoting me 35 pounds, plus any car park fees. However, the pick you up in a regular saloon car, but can get me in a VIP car (E-Class, BMW, Jag) for a price of 65 pounds. I'm really debating whether the difference is worth going with Addy Lee ...

Esharpest Jun 9, 2011 6:47 am

Originally Posted by noreaga (Post 16530154)
OK, Addisson Lee is charging 76 pounds for the trip. Another firm called Airport Executive is quoting me 35 pounds, plus any car park fees. However, the pick you up in a regular saloon car, but can get me in a VIP car (E-Class, BMW, Jag) for a price of 65 pounds. I'm really debating whether the difference is worth going with Addy Lee ...

It's what, 45-60ish minutes of your life? So - £30 difference divided by 60 minutes = 50p per minute for a nicer car and diminishing the risk of having to endure odd odours/air fresheners. Or a bit more than that per minute to sit in an MPV with the Addy Lee branding on the back.

Whether that's worth it to you is another question. I'd just pay the £35 and enjoy the feeling of having saved some money. But then there are evidently people who find it worthwhile to pay for an upgrade to first class on the HEX too, because 15 minutes - 20 from T5 - in the same carriage as other people must be too great a horror to contemplate.

Rexy52 Jun 9, 2011 6:54 am

I've been using The Chauffeur Group for 15 years and very happy with them. Don't know how they'd compare on price to N1, but very good for trips to/from Hampshire

UAPremExecflyer Jun 9, 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by noreaga (Post 16523979)
Hi everyone,

Thanks !

You can't cross-post :td:. Pick one forum and stick with it. Cross-posting is against FT rules.
You started this exact same thread in the UK and Ireland Forum yesterday too:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...islington.html

Esharpest Jun 9, 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 16530669)
same thread in the UK and Ireland Forum

There's a UK and Ireland Forum? Who knew?!?

Shurely there'sh shome mishtake. Everyone knows the BAEC Forum should have been named the General UK/Other Places/Off Topic Things Forum.

:D

Prospero Jun 9, 2011 11:29 am

Batting this over to the UK and Ireland forum for further innings

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum