Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stifle
I don't think you have the price of left luggage right. It is £8 per item per day or part thereof.
True, not sure where i got those numbers from...
This is a bit confusing (from left-luggage.co.uk)
Left Luggage Rates
£5.00 per Item 0 - 2hrs
£10.00 per Item 2 - 24hrs
£5.00 per Item +24hrs
(per 24hrs or part thereof)

Does that mean for the first day, its 10.00 and for the remaining day its 5.00 each?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 am

BA Transfer and Airport Executive Review

If it is any help to anyone, I have used a couple of mini cab companies over the last few years (BA Transfer and Airport Executive). These days I drive as my flights are in the middle/latter part of the day and I can usually get a decent deal on airport parking.

BA Transfer

When I do need a car, this is the company I have used most recently. Overall I am happy with these guys. You can prepay online and if you register they give 5% off.

They are always on time, usually early. During the Olympic Games one driver managed to get us from Greenwich to Heathrow T5 in mid afternoon traffic in 45 minutes (the fastest we have ever got there). When I return I like that I can set a pick up time of up to 2 hours after arrival. I usually set it to 1.5 hours (usually travelling with 2 kids) though I have had one driver call a couple of times. A quick call to head office sorted him out.

My only other issue with these guys was when the original owner of the company picked us up after a long flight from Sydney. He seemed to take us around the world and talked way too much (it was a 5am arrival).

Airport Executive

I used these guys up until about late 2010. They were reasonably priced but quality of the cars tended to be a mixed bag. Some were spotless whilst others were filthy.

What stopped me from using them was the last two drivers I had. The second last driver accepted another job whilst driving me home from Heathrow. When we hit some traffic on the A13 (usually a slow run) he got really agitated (lot's of heavy braking, swearing). I didn't tell him to accept the job.

The last time I used them was after returning from a funeral in Sydney. The guy was more polite but must have had something wrong with his foot because he kept accelerating and braking really hard at the last minute. His grasp of English was not very good so telling him to ease up was a waste of breath.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by harishv79
True, not sure where i got those numbers from...
This is a bit confusing (from left-luggage.co.uk)
Left Luggage Rates
£5.00 per Item 0 - 2hrs
£10.00 per Item 2 - 24hrs
£5.00 per Item +24hrs
(per 24hrs or part thereof)

Does that mean for the first day, its 10.00 and for the remaining day its 5.00 each?

Thanks.
Well, I was about to post what would have been a flame-grilled post about how I had just told you in the post you quoted that it was £8 per item. Thankfully for me I decided to check up first and the rates you posted are closer to what I found.

My reading of the above is indeed that it is £10 for the first day and £5 for each subsequent day or part of a day.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Well, I was about to post what would have been a flame-grilled post about how I had just told you in the post you quoted that it was £8 per item. Thankfully for me I decided to check up first and the rates you posted are closer to what I found.

My reading of the above is indeed that it is £10 for the first day and £5 for each subsequent day or part of a day.
Following up on this - Think we will just leave all but 1 suitcase and a couple of carry-ons at the left luggage facility. With that, can we manage to take the tube at that time (~1:30 pm on Saturday) with an infant to get to Green Park? Or should i look for a airport transfer service?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by williemaykit
If it is any help to anyone, I have used a couple of mini cab companies over the last few years (BA Transfer and Airport Executive). These days I drive as my flights are in the middle/latter part of the day and I can usually get a decent deal on airport parking.

BA Transfer

When I do need a car, this is the company I have used most recently. Overall I am happy with these guys. You can prepay online and if you register they give 5% off.

They are always on time, usually early. During the Olympic Games one driver managed to get us from Greenwich to Heathrow T5 in mid afternoon traffic in 45 minutes (the fastest we have ever got there). When I return I like that I can set a pick up time of up to 2 hours after arrival. I usually set it to 1.5 hours (usually travelling with 2 kids) though I have had one driver call a couple of times. A quick call to head office sorted him out.

My only other issue with these guys was when the original owner of the company picked us up after a long flight from Sydney. He seemed to take us around the world and talked way too much (it was a 5am arrival)......
WOW! I just checked their website http://www.british-airporttransfers....uote_part1.php and they quote £72 (Saloon size) for the 18 miles from WC1 to LHR. Could this be right? That's > double the minicab rates I've seen (£30>34). Maybe I've got the wrong website.

Yup, this site is probably the one you are referring to: http://www.batransfer.com/quote.php Only £36/38. That's more like it. Thanks for another good option.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by harishv79
Following up on this - Think we will just leave all but 1 suitcase and a couple of carry-ons at the left luggage facility. With that, can we manage to take the tube at that time (~1:30 pm on Saturday) with an infant to get to Green Park? Or should i look for a airport transfer service?

Thanks.
I think you'd be fine. Green Park has elevators.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Late arrival Q

I am arriving in LHR at 11pm, Terminal 3.
My hotel is near Earl's court station / Kensington.
The tube won't probably be an option since the last departure is too close to my arrival.
At that hour, is a taxi a good option or should I just hire a car?

My hotel recommended Skyline express. Any other tips?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by voweffekt
I am arriving in LHR at 11pm, Terminal 3.
My hotel is near Earl's court station / Kensington.
The tube won't probably be an option since the last departure is too close to my arrival.
At that hour, is a taxi a good option or should I just hire a car?

My hotel recommended Skyline express. Any other tips?
If arriving at T3, iirc the last Piccadilly line departure that doesn't involve a change is at 2345. Otherwise I would book a car service. You can read back a few pages to see some recommendations.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm Reason: correct to T3 arrival and correct dept time
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Alternatively, you could aim for the Underground, and use Uber if it fails (although I don't know what Uber availability is like around Heathrow at that time of night).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA
I think you'd be fine. Green Park has elevators.
If you are with an infant/stroller in Central London then Green Park station is your friend. Most central Underground stations are 100 years old and only steps or escalators, not so much the case out in the suburbs where it's not so much of a problem. Green Park which is on 3 lines including the Piccadilly from Heathrow had lifts installed in the run-up to the Olympics to all lines (a huge project, it cost over £100m for this one station) and is a good place to start walking through the parks or get taxis for a short completion of a trip with a baby or a wheelchair. You do for some combinations of lines there have to take two separate lifts and do some walking along passages.

All the Jubilee Line stations from there eastwards to Stratford, being a new line, also have full lifts to the exit. So do the Underground stations at Heathrow.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This map is a great guide for step-free acess.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi all

just to share with you my very bad experience with the company that goes under the name of "Heathrow Express cars" or "Express airport cars".

In short, replacement driver arrived 1 hour after agreed time. Continuous lack of information or updates from either the first driver or main call center with regard to any delays. It had to be me calling a few times enquiring as to the whereabouts only for them to passing the job to another company at the very last minute and resulting in 1 hour of my time wasted in LHR waiting.

Furthermore, I sent subsequent complaint email to them which, to date, had no response whatsoever.

Beware.

Cheers
J
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA
I'm leaning towards 24/7 Airport Transfer. Anyone with recent experience with them?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
I'm leaning towards 24/7 Airport Transfer. Anyone with recent experience with them?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21640953-post79.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22405433-post81.html

You could always send a private message to the author of those posts to see if anything has changed.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Addison Lee, Tristar or no1traveller for a S class from Surrey to Heathrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.