Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Try doing a search "LHR car service" and this very well-worn thread pops up http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...iscussion.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jan 19, 2013 at 6:07 am Reason: added search
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You ignore Addison Lee. These are the benchmark in terms of car quality, scale and (high) prices. If you 100% need your car to be there, they are the guys.

We switched to Simply Airports when AddLee stopped offering child seats. Far, far cheaper and - if you ask for an MPV - same quality of vehicle. (Book a normal car and you takes your chances.)

However ... they totally failed to turn up when we came back from Dubai in December. Flight was an hour late arriving but it was an hour late leaving so they shouldn't have been surprised. Took us an hour of sitting in arrivals for them to get a driver to us.

Their website is also useless, it is either broken, or you don't get a confirmation email. Even when it does work, it looks so amateurish that you worry that it hasn't worked!

That said, our no-show trip was booked by telephone when their website was down which may explain why they never came.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I have had a no show by Addision Lee, so it's not a guarantee that you'll be 100% fine with them.

Greg
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If you want reliability, take a black cab. It will cost a fortune, but it will get you there. With everyone else you are making a trade off between price and reliability.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Merging with the Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab Discussion to make sure the discussion is, well, ongoing.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I have had a no show by Addision Lee, so it's not a guarantee that you'll be 100% fine with them.
Likewise, they were half an hour late in picking me up for work on Boxing Day - although did keep me updated by text. Most of the time they're fine, and certainly more reliable than most shopfront-with-a-flashing-orange-light minicab outfits.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:17 am

Can anyone recommend a reliable car service to get me from Brighton to Heathrow (this Sunday morning)? I can't book the usual firms I use as this starts outside London.

Reliability, and the standard of car, are more important than being cheap.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL;LH M&M FQTV ; SPG Gold ; A-Club Gold;HHonnors Diamond
London Aiports to City Transport_SkyportCars

Does anybody have recent experience with skyport cars ? or know a reliable, reasonable priced Limousine Company for Transfers LHR-City-LHR ?

I have been using skyport cars for years, good company, no complaints.
When I tried to book transfers in July, webpage was gone.
Now it is back, I booked online, but no confirmation E-Mail, even after sending another E-Mail request for confirmation no response

many thanks,

Ettrich
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Extensive and on-going conversation here
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Majestic Taxi is all over Twitter and has a nice easy to navigate website. I can't find any reviews
for them though. I need to be picked up at Heathrow and dropped off close to Victoria station. I
also may need them to take me to Southampton or Dover. Anyone know anything about their
service or can direct me to a site with reviews? Yelp UK had one review only but it was positive.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It will be fairly difficult and extremely expensive to find a car company willing to take you from London to Southampton or Dover.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:15 am

If it's for a cruise, I'd suggest contacting your cruise company for their car service arrangements. Depending on your origin/destination/luggage, though, you may find it easier and quicker to take the train to Southampton/Dover (there are direct trains to both locations from Victoria station) and get a taxi from there to wherever you are going.

Otherwise, it's often easier/cheaper to get a local minicab from Southampton/Dover to pick you up in London than to get the reverse.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Thanks to the above two posters for their feedback. Our plans changed a little and my travel mate made
the decision to use Majestic. If all goes well I will write a review.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:50 pm

One more thing for my friends in London...a gratuity. There will be two of us and we have one small carry on bag each.
We will be picked up at T5 and delivered to a downtown London hotel for 70 pounds in a saloon car. No other passengers,
just the two of us. On the company website it says gratuities at passengers discretion. Sure would appreciate some help
here as to what would be customary should the trip go smoothly.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:07 pm

£70 is dear. I'd tip up to 10% for exceptional service (help with luggage, etc), but nothing is due as a matter of course. Generally, I'd round taxi fares up, but that one's already round...

Your accent may lead to expectations of a tip, however, thanks to the actions of your compatriots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.