Reload this Page >

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:42 am

I would appreciate recommendations for a reasonably priced but also reasonably decent firm that will provide a car and driver by the hour (other than AL). The minicab firms I usually use seem perplexed at the idea of an hourly rate. I'm thinking of being picked up at LHR, have the car available for the day as I attend various meetings across central London, and then be dropped at a hotel in central London in the evening.

And yes, I am aware that this will be far more expensive than taking a series of journeys point to point, and that moving around central London by car is not always the best idea. But, I am travelling with someone of limited mobility, and it would be convenient to have the car always waiting outside each stop, and to be able to leave baggage, coats, etc. inside.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
For the first time in many years I need to get a car from LHR to zone 1, getting off a flight that gets in at 2240 on a Friday night (so can't guarantee being able to make the HeX).

Are there any good reliable options other than Uber or Addison Lee? I'm guessing that surge pricing could apply with Uber, and I'm guessing Addison Lee will be expensive.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:47 am

Piccadilly line runs all night through Friday and Saturday nights.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks - unfortunately one of the passengers won't physically be up to that (we live a 10 minute walk away from the nearest tube station, and a 20 minute walk from the Piccadilly line, so a cab would be needed at some point anyway).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:34 pm

Im interested to know as well.

Any good car services from LHR to "downtown" London?

thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Would suggest reading through the thread.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Im interested to know as well.

Any good car services from LHR to "downtown" London?

thanks!
Aloha. Never used them before, but after doing my research, I chose "Twelve Transfers" for my upcoming trip.

Last time I in London, I used SilverFleet, which was very good, but is shared transport.

I had mixed experience with Simply Airports. The pickup from LHR went fine, but the same driver extorted me on the return...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:52 am

Anybody else regularly get picked up from T2? I've used the same company for several years, yet, every single driver seems to have a different pickup point. Last week as I was standing in what I thought was the 'new' pickup point - parking garage level 1, second row, and I get the call that I should come up to departures. I said, "wait, I've been told for a year that the wardens won't let you pick up in departures." Went up and sure enough he was sitting there waiting for me with wardens around but not shooing him off.

So, is there an 'official' official pick-up point for T2, or is it just wherever the driver feels like stopping?
Old May 5, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Reviving an old thread, does anyone have recommendations for reputable services I can pre-book?

I'll be on a flight scheduled to land at 10:30pm at T5, and by the time I get through immigration and collect my luggage I may or may not be able to get a train to London. Plus traveling with family, it may be cheaper/comparable and certainly more convenient to just hop in a car. I've already investigated WeKnow. I'll be heading to Canary Wharf, so it's not exactly convenient to Paddington anyway.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:12 pm

Speaking of 10:30pm at T5, how about Uber? From random monitoring the price is usually around £50 (to Russell Square) with short waits. I would think using an app that might involve a short wait would be better than pre-booking given the vagaries of timing (although reportedly there's only a minimal wait for immigration e-gates at that hour). Is there an official T5 pick-up point?
Old May 29, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I used Uber on a trip back in January, as it turns out the Piccadilly line was closed and I made the mistake of not checking in advance. When you open Uber in the airport, there is a special banner that appears that takes you through the airport booking process. It was very quick to pick up, in fact I ordered when collecting my luggage and they were calling me to see where I was before I got to the designated parking spot (in the garage, short term parking, pillar R). Don't know about £50 to Russell Square. I paid £55 to get to Hammersmith, but that's Uber pricing for you.

From my trip report:
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
On opening the Uber App, a banner appeared about booking from the airport. As we were exiting baggage, I ordered my car. Before I reached the pick-up place at short term parking, level 1, pillar R (if I recall correctly), my driver was calling to see where I was. He was obviously in a hurry, and concerned about any waiting time, so much so when I told him I was at Pillar J, we drove to meet me.

The M4 was closed between junction 3 and junction 4b (Hayes to the M25), so the first part of the trip was a tour of the airport via the perimeter road, until getting on the M4 at the far side of the airport. From there, it was a quick ride home. Total for the ride was £55, which is a lot more than the circa £2 for the tube, but needs must when improvement works are underway.
richarddd likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
uber picks up in the parking structure of T5 and i usually only order once ive gotten my bags and never had to wait more than 5-8mins which is enough time to follow the instructions (clearly laid out in the app) to make my way to the parking structure level 1 i believe to find the pick up point.
richarddd likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I used Uber on a trip back in January, as it turns out the Piccadilly line was closed and I made the mistake of not checking in advance. When you open Uber in the airport, there is a special banner that appears that takes you through the airport booking process. It was very quick to pick up, in fact I ordered when collecting my luggage and they were calling me to see where I was before I got to the designated parking spot (in the garage, short term parking, pillar R). Don't know about £50 to Russell Square. I paid £55 to get to Hammersmith, but that's Uber pricing for you.

From my trip report:
At the moment, Uber is showing £44 with a 5 minute wait for LHR to Russell Square. Time of day is likely a major factor.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
FreeNow fixed fairs are even more attractive now.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:49 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

9:00 am today Uber was 41 GBP from Hyatt Churchill (Portman Square/Marble Arch) to T2 at LHR. Thought it was a bargain.
chris1922Mk2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.