Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:31 pm

I too have a similar situation, 8 hours transit, before boarding flight back to US. So get landside testing at IST, then check in back again works? Luggage should transfer by themselves right? Pardon the noob questions. Much thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I have a similar situation, with a 9 hour layover LUX-IST-TAS. It would logistically be much simpler for me to get the PCR test at IST airport during the long layover - however, will TK let me fly LUX-IST without having the documents required for the destination country?
Yes, but you would need to pick up your bags at IST go landside and have the PCR test over there.
TK would not give your boarding pass for your IST-TAS leg and not check bags through Tashkent until you show your negative COVID test certificate.

Originally Posted by sof_lance
I too have a similar situation, 8 hours transit, before boarding flight back to US. So get landside testing at IST, then check in back again works? Luggage should transfer by themselves right? Pardon the noob questions. Much thanks!
Unless you have your COVID test documentation ready for inspection at your first point of departure, you would need to claim all checked baggage at Istanbul.
sof_lance likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

I have about an 8 hr layover in IST. We will need PCR tests for getting back into the US. I'm sure someone has already asked, but how much do the rapid tests cost at the airport, and is 8 hrs enough time?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by citrusflyer
I have about an 8 hr layover in IST. We will need PCR tests for getting back into the US. I'm sure someone has already asked, but how much do the rapid tests cost at the airport, and is 8 hrs enough time?
Turnaround times of 15-20 minutes for the antigen test and 60-90 minutes for the PCR tests. Both are acceptable for the USA.
Rapid antigen tests would cost ₺175 while a PCR test would cost ₺250.

8 hours is far enough for taking the test at Istanbul. Also as a reminder, if you don't have a valid test at your first point of departure, your bags would only be checked through to Istanbul and you would have to reclaim them and check them back at the departure level after showing your test result to a TK ground staff agent.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Turnaround times of 15-20 minutes for the antigen test and 60-90 minutes for the PCR tests. Both are acceptable for the USA.
Rapid antigen tests would cost ₺175 while a PCR test would cost ₺250.

8 hours is far enough for taking the test at Istanbul. Also as a reminder, if you don't have a valid test at your first point of departure, your bags would only be checked through to Istanbul and you would have to reclaim them and check them back at the departure level after showing your test result to a TK ground staff agent.
Good information! thank you so much!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a reference, the transfer area antigen testing area was not-manned at my last arrival.

Thus, I would not suggest anyone to rely on testing at IST without clearing passport control and immigration unless they are testing at the airside testing center which they could only use if they have missed their connection airside, if they are testing to avoid quarantine at their final destination ( test not mandatory but reduces/eliminates quarantine/isolation ) or if they are testing for their own personal comfort.

Old May 11, 2022, 10:07 pm

I have a flight to HK via IST. The layover is 9 hours. Planning to do my PCR test in IST (9 hours seems to be enough from previous posters). For HK the entry requirement is a government-approved lab. A bit obvious that the airport labs are government approved but HK need some documentation.

A few questions for the experts here:
1) How can I find a list of accredited labs in Turkey, or if the airport test center provide that documentation.
2) If I test positive and am denied boarding for the HK leg. How will Turkish Airline handle it?
Old May 11, 2022, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by slx88
I have a flight to HK via IST. The layover is 9 hours. Planning to do my PCR test in IST (9 hours seems to be enough from previous posters). For HK the entry requirement is a government-approved lab. A bit obvious that the airport labs are government approved but HK need some documentation.

1) How can I find a list of accredited labs in Turkey, or if the airport test center provide that documentation.
2) If I test positive and am denied boarding for the HK leg. How will Turkish Airline handle it?
Welcome to FT!

Your last question has been answered a few times before in other threads in this forum.
Short answer: TK will rebook you free of charge if you submit documentation for Covid positive test.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slx88

For the first question, the test result ( for the PCR ) would be logged into the Turkish Ministry of Health database and the QR code on the certificate would lead you to that page so an officer at HK could easily verify that via the QR code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.