Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's highly possible that TK would not understand what you are trying to tell them. After filling a feedback form, you would probably receive an answer like "We have extended all our members' expiry date 6 months" or something similar which would not be the answer to your issue.

Also, even though they understood what you meant, it's highly likely that you wouldn't get a positive answer from them. However, if the zero change fee policy extends, you could be asked to rebook your flights to May 2021 or a later date.
When the new IT systems glitched expiry dates forward by a month, I convinced TK to move my period back a month, so that my June 2019 flights would apply to a new cycle. So it can be done. But one month due to a glitch is obviously different to a 6 month gift.

I wouldn't be so confident about November travel however... Many countries might decide to keep foreigners out until vaccination is available... enough for there to be a travel certificate similar to the yellow fever one...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:34 am

Quick note: saw this thread yesterday and checked my account. My first year of my E+ renewal period ends (or used to end) in April. With the extension, it now ends in October.

Yesterday, all my miles earned in May through September were no longer being counted. At well over the first year renewal E+ renewal requirement, that made me a little nervous.

Glad to say its been resolved and the app tells me I need 0 miles to protect my (now extended) E+ status.

Figured yesterday that theyre just working through the kinks before announcing it, and seems like thats true.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
I sent a feedback to TK on this last week. Today my status miles have reappeared . I still have the extra 6 months. I don't know if this was the result of my feedback or if they have fixed the glitch. Hopefully this also means my first year for requalification is now 18 months long.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thank you for the thread... I'm a bit confused by this 6 months extension. Would someone help me out to understand it?

My present (past?)membership year was July 2019 to July 2021.
July 2019-2020 was my 1st collection year. I re-qualified for Elite in November 2019.
That would have meant I would have been Elite until July 2023... is that correct?

Following this thread I went to check my TK profile page: I still have all the status miles earned, and the Elite status is marked as protected.
At the same time my Status Expiry date is now January 2022.

Now, I would hope that this 6 months extension means that at the end of my current two year long status - having qualified again for Elite - the Status Expiry date would then be moved to January 2024... but I'm not really sure.

How would you read it?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly

Now, I would hope that this 6 months extension means that at the end of my current two year long status - having qualified again for Elite - the Status Expiry date would then be moved to January 2024... but I'm not really sure.

How would you read it?
It doesn't move until the new cycle starts. Your status expires in Jan 2024.
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
I sent a feedback to TK on this last week. Today my status miles have reappeared . I still have the extra 6 months. I don't know if this was the result of my feedback or if they have fixed the glitch. Hopefully this also means my first year for requalification is now 18 months long.
Same here, my account has been fixed too. Not sure if general fix or due to Feedback Form. App and website correctly show that I have re-qualified ELPL in the first membership year.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Missing miles back as well. Didn't send feedback to TK.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by dromack
Missing miles back as well. Didn't send feedback to TK.
I got my status miles back without doing anything, so this has to be system wide fix.

​​​​​​Does anyone know if our upgrade vouchers are also extended by 6 months?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Glad to hear status miles are back for the members where it matters. Mine are still at zero, but Im in Y2.

re: vouchers: an extra one for the six months would be a grand gesture!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Glad to note that my Status miles are back! Now, only if TK extends the redeemable miles that are expiring...
336 and gr8pirate like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: TK E+
My E+ status was extended to 30 June 2021 (extra 6 months granted & already re-qualified in the first year). It was 31 December 2020.
I have a question about next qualified E+ season. Will it's starting date also be shifted to the day after 30 June 2021?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlyTK
My E+ status was extended to 30 June 2021 (extra 6 months granted & already re-qualified in the first year). It was 31 December 2020.
I have a question about next qualified E+ season. Will it's starting date also be shifted to the day after 30 June 2021?

Logic and common sense suggest this to be the case. I can't even dream up any other scenario.

Your new two-year membership will be to 30 June 2023...
....unless of course it gets kicked forward again as the crisis continues.
gr8pirate, ISTFlyer and FlyTK like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:30 pm

With the 6 month elite extension, does anyone have/hear any update regarding the qualification period? Is it now:
  1. 18 month qualification period.
  2. the first 6 months qualification gets reset, and restarts from month 7-18?
  3. qualification period remains the same from month 1 to month 12 (rolling 1 year qualification with no extension)

Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by johnsw1988
With the 6 month elite extension, does anyone have/hear any update regarding the qualification period? Is it now:
  1. 18 month qualification period.
  2. the first 6 months qualification gets reset, and restarts from month 7-18?
  3. qualification period remains the same from month 1 to month 12 (rolling 1 year qualification with no extension)

Scenario #1

Edit: Only for requalification, not for qualification
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
That is a very good question indeed... Now that our status miles from the previous 6 months show up again (I had just requalified 5 months ago and already did 22k new status miles in the 3 months following the requalification - they all had finished after the status extension but reappered today), I was asking myself the same thing. Status validity is one thing, but I could imagin all the 3 scenarios shown in the nice graphic above.
While I hope it'll be scenario 1, it might just be a rolling 12 / 24 months as always.
It might be Nr. 3, so if we hit the 40k during the next 6 months all would be fine, it might be Nr. 2 (achiving 40k during the next 6 months won't help, since they only look 12 months form now and everything before that would have expired by then), so I hope they'll clearify that for us. And I hope it'll be scenario Nr. 1
and there might be a scenario Nr. 4: you get a rolling 12 months during month 1-18 as new first year, so it would not be JUST 2 or JUST 3 , but any one of them or month 3-14, 4-15 and so on....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.