Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
My status was extended by 3 months (from June to Nov). I am on a status match challenge (one more LH flight to do). I wonder if this means the challenge timeframe has also been extended...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
After I was matched to Elite last November and extended for one year after the first flight, I also got extended until April 2021 from November 2020 and it is definitely fine with me. Two weeks ago I received the first plastic elite card with the expire date of March 2020 .
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
To me it looks like TK just does "stuff" (e.g. extended membership years) in their Production system - without proper testing before. Otherwise it is hard to understand why so many people now have issues with their status miles.
As a result, they then need to employ a back office team (with admin rights) to fix the issues manually...
Just doesnt sound very efficient
Yes. Someone pressed a button without giving thought to collateral consequences.

It looks as though the system coped with a six month extension by retrospectively shifting forward the starting date of the current membership period to maintain a 24 month cycle.

Without further adjustment, the result has been that status miles collected in the first six months of the current cycle have been zeroed out.

Presumably regular miles, and their expiry dates, are not in peril. But we might expect some fun and games with the allocation, use and expiry of upgrade vouchers.
DaveS and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It looks as though the system coped with a six month extension by retrospectively shifting forward the starting date of the current membership period to maintain a 24 month cycle.
Hmm that would mean that my requalified period as Elite has not even started yet (Expiry date extended from Dec 2021 to June 2022).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Data point: Currently in Y1, status miles OK (collected before the new Y1 time frame). Thanks TK!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Hmm that would mean that my requalified period as Elite has not even started yet (Expiry date extended from Dec 2021 to June 2022).
So your original membership period was Dec19 to Dec 21.

It seems likely that the 6 month extension ha pushed the system into recognising a new membership period, June 20 to June 20: meaning that any status miles you collected between Dec19 and June 20 are likely to have disappeared.

That's the theory I've come up with, because it matches exactly, to the mile, the depleted state of my account. Could be wrong though, maybe just a me-problem, not systemic!

Of course, if you earned no status miles after Dec 19, you're fine.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So your original membership period was Dec19 to Dec 21
True
meaning that any status miles you collected between Dec19 and June 20 are likely to have disappeared.
That is exactly the issue. The many status miles I earned in February are gone now as the counter has been reset to zero.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

That's the theory I've come up with, because it matches exactly, to the mile, the depleted state of my account. Could be wrong though, maybe just a me-problem, not systemic!.
Yes this is exactly the issue! See my post 18 in this thread.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I hope TK will sort out the missing miles from the six month time frame ‘shift’ eventually, even though it doesn’t affect me.

There’s some hope for that, as there hasn’t been an official announcement for any of this yet.

Looks like my next set of E+ vouchers will now be available six months later...again, this doesn’t immediately bother me, but I’m sure it will be annoying to many.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Looks like my next set of E+ vouchers will now be available six months later...again, this doesn’t immediately bother me, but I’m sure it will be annoying to many.
I wouldn't be so upbeat. There was mix up last year when vouchers simply never appeared - a calamity for some who only discovered the empty cupboard when they attempted to use the vouchers they thought they had.

"thought they had" because, of course, the team has never got round to recording voucher availabilty on members' statements.

So I guess it's possible voucher allocation has a separate date-marker in the system, not triggered by status anniversaries. But who knows?

Who knows, indeed: it's part of an unstable house of cards put together over the years.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Apr 4, 2020 at 6:47 am Reason: "status anniversary" clearer than "status renewal"
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAN - AFAIK they never fixed that issue. I have already written about the asinine conversations that I had about it/them, and the two weeks of craziness I had to go through to use them. I would bet that they have not even thought about this issue yet (as they had not before)!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:03 am

Unfortunately the status extension seems to be no good news for me. My 1st membership year after extension was supposed to begin on Nov 1 and I already have booked trips in November and December which would be sufficient for requalification. Now as my status was extended until April 30 it seems that those status miles would be completely useless. Anybody in the same situation? I am considering to ask Turkish to keep the original membership period. Do you think they would do that?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Kapi1904
Unfortunately the status extension seems to be no good news for me. My 1st membership year after extension was supposed to begin on Nov 1 and I already have booked trips in November and December which would be sufficient for requalification. Now as my status was extended until April 30 it seems that those status miles would be completely useless. Anybody in the same situation? I am considering to ask Turkish to keep the original membership period. Do you think they would do that?
It's highly possible that TK would not understand what you are trying to tell them. After filling a feedback form, you would probably receive an answer like "We have extended all our members' expiry date 6 months" or something similar which would not be the answer to your issue.

Also, even though they understood what you meant, it's highly likely that you wouldn't get a positive answer from them. However, if the zero change fee policy extends, you could be asked to rebook your flights to May 2021 or a later date.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's highly possible that TK would not understand what you are trying to tell them. After filling a feedback form, you would probably receive an answer like "We have extended all our members' expiry date 6 months" or something similar which would not be the answer to your issue.

Also, even though they understood what you meant, it's highly likely that you wouldn't get a positive answer from them. However, if the zero change fee policy extends, you could be asked to rebook your flights to May 2021 or a later date.
That is also my fear after dealing with TK in the past. However if you are extremely persistent sometimes it is possible to achieve something.
The issue is that all of my milage runs are not booked with TK and involve very restrictive and cheap premium fares which I might not be able to cancel or to rebook at similar price. All the trips are within 2 months after the original start of membership period.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Kapi1904
That is also my fear after dealing with TK in the past. However if you are extremely persistent sometimes it is possible to achieve something.
The issue is that all of my milage runs are not booked with TK and involve very restrictive and cheap premium fares which I might not be able to cancel or to rebook at similar price. All the trips are within 2 months after the original start of membership period.
Good luck to you.

------------------------------------

By the way, someone has asked the TK HelpDesk Twitter account about Elite Plus voucher extensions and they told that their validity is extended 6 months.
In addition, for those people who were close to a status upgrade, the status mile purchase limits have been doubled.

The tweets below are in Turkish;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.