Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Miles gone but I had nowhere to use them…
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70
On one of my accounts which had around 10K miles expiring on Dec 31 2021, these miles now appear as expiring in Dec 31 2022...
I wonder whether miles that were about to expire in 2021 that were used for a booking and may get redeposited (if canceling the booking) will also get the extension.
I am exactly in this situation at the moment. And not sure whether to ask for a refund (miles) or try a schedule change 🤯
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by fil_87
I am exactly in this situation at the moment. And not sure whether to ask for a refund (miles) or try a schedule change 🤯
I believe that after the post from bamba70 that you refer to, it was reported by others that expired miles have now been deducted, so I'm not sure/convinved that bamba70 still has the miles in his/her account?

Anyway, assuming that expired miles have actually been deducted from accounts by now, it would be very risky of you to cancel your award ticket (purchased with miles that expired 31 Dec) as most likely the miles will not be refunded. BUT give it some time/be patient as I'm sure that we will see posts about cancelling award tickets and refund of miles that would have expired 31 Dec.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OW Emerald), SkyTeam Elite (ITA status match)
I had a status match to TK Elite at the end of 2020 and could not accumulate the required 15k miles (I only managed about half). I was hoping for automatic extension but end of 2021 my status got downgraded to Classic. I sent an email requesting extension or new status match challenge but was denied. It is a bit unfair as regular members are getting very generous extensions.

Has anyone had any success in extending their status match or getting a new status match? (even though the rules clearly state one status match per lifetime).
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
My Elite status is expected to expire next 30 April, next family trip in J will be in June, I decided to send a feedback form asking an extension until end of 2022 and attaching the tickets as proof I intend to fly with them adding about difficulties traveling from Indonesia since 2020 and bla bla bla.

To my surprise just after one day I got the following reply: "First of all, we are very sorry for all inconveniences caused by the Coronavirus, too.
Thank you for your interest in Miles&Smiles, the frequent flyer program that offers a world of benefits.
In the past two, you’ve earned enough Status Miles, which means your membership status remains at Elite and the renewal is going to be on 30 April 2022."

The strange thing is that I got Elite with a status match in September 2019, flown just once in November 2019 (more than 15 K status miles) but after that not any single flight.
Anyway, I'm happy with their respond, I just do not get the system used for the renewal. Just sharing in case others are in similar situation. let's see after 30 April to see if the renewal will really occur.
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Elite status protection question

Currently, I have Elite status that will be expiring on Nov 29, 2022. With all the covid related extensions I am not sure if I have the requisite miles for renewal.

My account shows this - and says "You need to earn 0 Status Miles to protect your ELITE status." Does that mean my status will be extended to Nov 2024 automatically? without any additional status miles required?

Just would like to confirm with the experts what they think. I dont have any TK flights planned until Nov - but I have 32K status miles, if there is an urgent need, I can collect additional 5K for renewal before Nov. But if it is not required - why go through the trouble
Thanks in advance for your insights.

Old May 23, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Culture Guru
Currently, I have Elite status that will be expiring on Nov 29, 2022. With all the covid related extensions I am not sure if I have the requisite miles for renewal.

My account shows this - and says "You need to earn 0 Status Miles to protect your ELITE status." Does that mean my status will be extended to Nov 2024 automatically? without any additional status miles required?

Just would like to confirm with the experts what they think. I dont have any TK flights planned until Nov - but I have 32K status miles, if there is an urgent need, I can collect additional 5K for renewal before Nov. But if it is not required - why go through the trouble
Thanks in advance for your insights.
To renew your status you need 30,000 status miles over one year, or 45,000 status miles over two years. It looks like you obtained your 32,000 miles in the first year and therefore your status will be extended for 2 more years in November.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by DaveS
To renew your status you need 30,000 status miles over one year, or 45,000 status miles over two years. It looks like you obtained your 32,000 miles in the first year and therefore your status will be extended for 2 more years in November.
It is actually 25,000 status miles over one year and 37,500 over two years for those whos residency is outside of Turkey.
SK AAR, nacho, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
This still doesnt answer my question.

"You need to earn 0 Status Miles to protect your ELITE status." Does that mean my status will be extended to Nov 2024 automatically? without any additional status miles required before November 2022?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Culture Guru; May 24, 2022 at 12:38 am Reason: update
Old May 24, 2022, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Culture Guru
This still doesnt answer my question.

"You need to earn 0 Status Miles to protect your ELITE status." Does that mean my status will be extended to Nov 2024 automatically? without any additional status miles required before November 2022?

Thanks in advance
Yes, I'm pretty sure your understanding is correct. I have a similar constellation.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: TK*G
Yes, you are protected until 2024. From november, you need to earn status miles to protect your account for 2 more years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.