Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Elite plus vouchers & COVID-19 flight changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite plus vouchers & COVID-19 flight changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bsas1982
Just to confirm the "old system" did not change, I have just upgraded 2 tickets from Madrid to Bali (the flights dates are july 2021) using the free upgr vouchers through my local sales office. I was told and assured nothing has changed regarding the upgrade procedure. Two days ago the flights on my TK app were in economy class and now they're in J class and we were able to select seats in the BC cabin.
Hi ​​​bsas1982 and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Could I ask you if your upgrade was immediatly cleared after you contacted the sales office, or you needed to wait for a time after the upgrade until it showed Business Class in the TK website?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: TK miles and smiles
It took around 24hs since I asked for the upgrade until got the confirmation (I did it trough e mail through my local sales office)
SFOTraveler1984 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by bsas1982
Just to confirm the "old system" did not change, I have just upgraded 2 tickets from Madrid to Bali (the flights dates are july 2021) using the free upgr vouchers through my local sales office. I was told and assured nothing has changed regarding the upgrade procedure. Two days ago the flights on my TK app were in economy class and now they're in J class and we were able to select seats in the BC cabin.
Good for you! My experience was different although I got upgraded after some "negotiations". Hopefully it keeps continuing this way. My flight is in the end of this year(high Christmas period), yours is a way further, might be affiliate since probably the amount of flights will not recover to normal level this year.
P.S My flights in TK app and website were in J too and I selected the seats when ticket was not re-validated to J. I got the actual re-validated ticket yesterday. When you receive a re-validated ticket, then it is done, just a sales office confirmation is not enough.
bsas1982 likes this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Sep 10, 2020 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I was planning to book a flight in the coming months so I could use my 2 Elite Plus vouchers and decided to ask TK Customer Service today about the expiration date of the vouchers. I got a quick reply mentioning it will be extended for another 12 months. Great news

Dear

The Coronavirus pandemic, which has affected the entire world, has had negative effects on the entire world, particularly the aviation sector unfortunately, as a result of which our passengers have also made a number of changes in their travels.
We would like to show that we did not forget our Miles&Smiles program member passengers who have bonds of love with us by preferring Turkish Airlines for their travels, and have taken new measures so that you, our valuable passengers, have no problem at all.
Therefore, in order to avoid loss of any right, the usage period of the free upgrade (voucher) right we have offered to our Elite Plus passengers, which had been extended for 6 months previously, is going to be extended one more time for an additional period of 12 months.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
I was planning to book a flight in the coming months so I could use my 2 Elite Plus vouchers and decided to ask TK Customer Service today about the expiration date of the vouchers. I got a quick reply mentioning it will be extended for another 12 months. Great news
TK have messed up with Elite Plus vouchers of some members and it could be useful to ask them the expiry dates of your vouchers.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TK have messed up with Elite Plus vouchers of some members and it could be useful to ask them the expiry dates of your vouchers.

I'll share with you the reply I received after I asked why they cancelled my 2019/20 vouchers after 12months (in september 2020), after promising by email, Twitter and website, to extend them by six months:
Based on your request, we have checked your membership account and detected that your first term 2 voucher rights were expired in September 2020.

We would like inform , in order to avoid loss of any right, the status periods of our passengers whose membership status is Classic Plus, Elite, or Elite Plus, which had been extended for 6 months previously, is going to be extended one more time for an additional period of 12 months and since only the 2nd term upgrade vouchers are extended during this process, it's usual for your first term vouchers to be expired.
I wasn't aware that "first-term" and "second-term" vouchers were an issue, or that they were treated differently.
And I'm no closer to understanding why they didn't stick to what they said they'd do.

They go on to say:
Therefore, your Elite Plus membership status extended until February 2023 and you have 2 vouchers which can be used until February 2023.
I'm a tad concerned this means I have only two vouchers for the next 2 years. But I'm not sure if i have the courage to enquire further

The convoluted reasoning in the echelons THY is well known. I'm reasonably certain they think the tweaks they have introduced have been to the advantage of their frequent flyers, to leave them untouched in terms of the impacts of Covid. In fact they are badly designed tweaks implemented so carelessly they are having a negative impact!
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'll share with you the reply I received after I asked why they cancelled my 2019/20 vouchers after 12months (in september 2020), after promising by email, Twitter and website, to extend them by six months:
Based on your request, we have checked your membership account and detected that your first term 2 voucher rights were expired in September 2020.

We would like inform , in order to avoid loss of any right, the status periods of our passengers whose membership status is Classic Plus, Elite, or Elite Plus, which had been extended for 6 months previously, is going to be extended one more time for an additional period of 12 months and since only the 2nd term upgrade vouchers are extended during this process, it's usual for your first term vouchers to be expired.
I wasn't aware that "first-term" and "second-term" vouchers were an issue, or that they were treated differently.
And I'm no closer to understanding why they didn't stick to what they said they'd do.

They go on to say:
Therefore, your Elite Plus membership status extended until February 2023 and you have 2 vouchers which can be used until February 2023.
I'm a tad concerned this means I have only two vouchers for the next 2 years. But I'm not sure if i have the courage to enquire further

The convoluted reasoning in the echelons THY is well known. I'm reasonably certain they think the tweaks they have introduced have been to the advantage of their frequent flyers, to leave them untouched in terms of the impacts of Covid. In fact they are badly designed tweaks implemented so carelessly they are having a negative impact!
I wish that TK wrote that they only extended 2nd term vouchers on their website for clarification.
The website still states that all Elite Plus vouchers are extended at least until 1 October 2021 which is not the truth if we have people ( including myself ) that have their 1st term vouchers expiring in 2020.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I wish that TK wrote that they only extended 2nd term vouchers on their website for clarification.
The website still states that all Elite Plus vouchers are extended at least until 1 October 2021 which is not the truth if we have people ( including myself ) that have their 1st term vouchers expiring in 2020.
I don't quite get any possible logic behind extending 2nd year vouchers, but not those of the 1st year. Unless it is that increasing the life of the second year vouchers is good for those unable to re-new membership after that 2nd year, giving them upgrade vouchers in a year they drop a level in status terms.

Maybe I'm being even slower than usual, or maybe M&S operates in a sphere beyond human understanding
DaveS and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:28 am

A few days ago my friend(corporate club member) purchased economy ticket. Since normally his upgrades are taken care by assigned person, I told him to try the ordinary way through the Call Center just for experience. For warm up he got the information from service agent, that due to the current situation one leg is one voucher. Of course a friendly advise to her was given and she confirmed that made a mistake. The vouchers expire date is in the autumn of 2022 and for some reason they were blocked, so she could not finish the upgrade and the call was transfered to other department. Then they sent a message to another department to unblock urgently vouchers. After two hours my friend got email that due to the system error vouchers were blocked and now they are unblocked to proceed with the upgrade. During the next phone call the upgrade was done, seats were selected.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jaenks
A few days ago my friend(corporate club member) purchased economy ticket. Since normally his upgrades are taken care by assigned person, I told him to try the ordinary way through the Call Center just for experience. For warm up he got the information from service agent, that due to the current situation one leg is one voucher. Of course a friendly advise to her was given and she confirmed that made a mistake. The vouchers expire date is in the autumn of 2022 and for some reason they were blocked, so she could not finish the upgrade and the call was transfered to other department. Then they sent a message to another department to unblock urgently vouchers. After two hours my friend got email that due to the system error vouchers were blocked and now they are unblocked to proceed with the upgrade. During the next phone call the upgrade was done, seats were selected.
Is blocking of vouchers something new? I have never heard of that. Non existent vouchers is common. Or does blocked mean she did not know how to us them! HUCA time.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Is blocking of vouchers something new? I have never heard of that. Non existent vouchers is common. Or does blocked mean she did not know how to us them! HUCA time.
I never heard about blocking the vouchers. Those were the words that were used in oral by two agents and written in email explaining the reason of the upgrade error and about unblocking. She knew how to add them but system did not allowed to finish it.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I can't seem to find any information on the website, do you happen to have a link?

Just got off the phone with a call center agent and was told my voucher 20/21 expired last week, and the voucher for 21/22 will not be available in my account until October????

It seems to me that the vouchers for 2021/22 were extended by 6 months, but the 2020/21 were not. This obviously leaves me in the peculiar situation where one of the major benefits of the Elite Plus membership is not made available to me; as I have not used a single voucher in this membership period, and neither can I, should I want to. How can that be possible?

I must say, my experience trying to use the vouchers over the last could of years have been so cumbersome that I almost wished they would do away with them altogether. And it has made me wonder what the actual benefits of the E+ membership is, for me personally at least.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by boosh; May 3, 2021 at 9:07 am Reason: Clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.