Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Elite plus vouchers & COVID-19 flight changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite plus vouchers & COVID-19 flight changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Although the upgrade does take some time to process, I very much doubt that this is the issue. What is more likely is that, once upgraded, TK must re-book you in Business Class after any flight changes / cancellations.
Yup, "revenue protection" is certainly in more convincing territory.

A major consideration must be flexibility: keeping space available in business-class to re-seat those with high-fare cash tickets from cancelled flights. If the seats are not required on the day, they can be given to voucher folk.

Let's hope the idea of space-available-on-the-day upgrades doesn't stick.
DaveS and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Although the upgrade does take some time to process, I very much doubt that this is the issue. What is more likely is that, once upgraded, TK must re-book you in Business Class after any flight changes / cancellations. (which are obviously very frequent these days) This can convert a "J inventory unlikely to sell out giveaway" into an actual semi-flex Business Class ticket. Certainly when I was IRROPed on an upgraded ticket pre-COVID, the airport ticket agent had no difficulty whatsoever with rerouting me in Business Class, so I don't buy the argument that's it's too much work to deal with flight changes.

What TK may be misunderstanding is that many E+ members:
  • won't actually fly TK at all unless upgraded
  • often pay more for semi-flex Economy fares to earn 100% mileage credit
So that's a decent chunk of revenue completely gone, simply to avoid giving away too many Business Class seats on flights they didn't intend.
I forwarded their reponse. What someone believes or buys is up to them. As they replied, the decision is affiliated to flight changes and rebookings procedures.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
During one of my calls with the TK hotline, I asked them to check if my new set of Elite Plus vouchers were deposited. The agent told me that I have 4 vouchers that would expire on my current card expiry date ( end of the 2nd requalification period - 30th month after (re)qualifying for ELPL ).
So, leaving aside the validity part (which has thrown me a bit ), if your experience reflects the approach TK is adopting...

My annual reference date is end-July, so my last set of 2 vouchers should have been extended 6 months to end-January 2021

i should also have received 2 new vouchers at the end of July.

SO, in my account now, at this moment, there should be 4 vouchers. This will change to a balance of 2 vouchers in February 2021.

But it looks as though i can't use the vouchers for any advanced booking, so at least two vouchers, possibly all four, are going to die unused. But 2 more come along end-july 2021.

Have i got it right ?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Although the upgrade does take some time to process, I very much doubt that this is the issue. What is more likely is that, once upgraded, TK must re-book you in Business Class after any flight changes / cancellations. (which are obviously very frequent these days) This can convert a "J inventory unlikely to sell out giveaway" into an actual semi-flex Business Class ticket. Certainly when I was IRROPed on an upgraded ticket pre-COVID, the airport ticket agent had no difficulty whatsoever with rerouting me in Business Class, so I don't buy the argument that's it's too much work to deal with flight changes.
Originally Posted by Jaenks
I forwarded their reponse. What someone believes or buys is up to them. As they replied, the decision is affiliated to flight changes and rebookings procedures.
As hotline agents do not have the power to touch a ticket with Elite Plus voucher during IRROPS, their only option is to remove the voucher and apply the voucher on the new reissued ticket which actually causes a problem when the ELPL voucher is already expired or when there is no upgrade availability on the new flight.

It's true that some of us know the airport/city sales office trick where agents are able to perform changes and talk to the back office when necessary; however, many people find it inconvenient either to visit a sales office or even stop by an airport desk even when checking-in on another airline at the same check-in hall. ( Assuming that contacting sales offices via phone and e-mail are impossible ).
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
So, leaving aside the validity part (which has thrown me a bit ), if your experience reflects the approach TK is adopting...

My annual reference date is end-July, so my last set of 2 vouchers should have been extended 6 months to end-January 2021

i should also have received 2 new vouchers at the end of July.

SO, in my account now, at this moment, there should be 4 vouchers. This will change to a balance of 2 vouchers in February 2021.

But it looks as though i can't use the vouchers for any advanced booking, so at least two vouchers, possibly all four, are going to die unused. But 2 more come along end-july 2021.

It turns out that I got it right. I am the proud owner of FOUR upgrade vouchers. Now ..... what to do with them ??

I asked about voucher use (confirmation only on the day), the agent said it hadn't changed; she asked a supervisor and he said it hadn't changed. All very confusing.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It turns out that I got it right. I am the proud owner of FOUR upgrade vouchers. Now ..... what to do with them ??
I'll probably keep mines until mid-2021. I am not planning to use them when TK offers a sub-par service.

I asked about voucher use (confirmation only on the day), the agent said it hadn't changed; she asked a supervisor and he said it hadn't changed. All very confusing.
Interesting,
I would probably not have a first-person answer for the ELPL voucher issue for a long time, so within this forum, if someone has a recent experience ( after August 2020 ) using ELPL vouchers, please share it with us so we could guide people with their queries in the future.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll probably keep mines until mid-2021. I am not planning to use them when TK offers a sub-par service.

Interesting,
I would probably not have a first-person answer for the ELPL voucher issue for a long time, so within this forum, if someone has a recent experience ( after August 2020 ) using ELPL vouchers, please share it with us so we could guide people with their queries in the future.
I might try attaching them to a Jakarta trip. Honestly, leaving IST at 2am I'd be happier without the dinner theatre lasting 3 or 4 hours

Is there a 24H cancellation/"cooling off" thing on TK reservations ?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might try attaching them to a Jakarta trip. Honestly, leaving IST at 2am I'd be happier without the dinner theatre lasting 3 or 4 hours

Is there a 24H cancellation/"cooling off" thing on TK reservations ?
Unfortunately, TK does not offer a 24h free cancellation period.
However, you could try to book with a reputable USA based OTA ( like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc... ) and then cancel the ticket within 24 hours after purchase.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:11 pm

They would not knew it if have not deal with the voucher upgrade request recently. All E+ voucher upgrades must be approved from TK IST HQ, sales offices only see booking class availability through system and send the award ticket and upgrade request form to TK HQ to get approval for ticket re-validation. From there they will get the response. 24 hours after purchasing the ticket might be not enough to get the response but I am sure a sales office can ask about the current procedure specificly from HQ.

Last edited by Jaenks; Sep 9, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:18 pm

Does my aforementioned current(August) experience is not sufficient and direct information from the TK HQ "upgrade handling" personnel is not reliable?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does my aforementioned current(August) experience is not sufficient and direct information from the TK HQ "upgrade handling" personnel is not reliable?
No, when you mentioned "corporate ticket" in one of your posts, I thought of the possibility that you are a Turkish Corporate Club member which the ticketing process may be different.

By the way, currently, I am advising people the information that is stated on your aforementioned post.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:39 pm

No, when you mentioned "corporate ticket" in one of your posts, I thought of the possibility that you are a Turkish Corporate Club member which the ticketing process may be different.
The current upgrade "hurdle" is same to every ELPL member, regardless of corporate membership. Ticketing process was previously different with ticket re-issuing, not re-validating which is current procedure.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Sorry Jaenks, and no offense, but so far your experience is exactly that - an experience.
As it is often with TK, ask 10 employees, get 10 different answers.
I am still doubtful as you stated that previously your ticket number changed when applying the voucher and now (with the new process) it does not change anymore - well, my ticket number never changed when applying the voucher.
So while your experience is valuable here to better understand the potential new process - we need more feedback from other ELPL members until we know for certain that the process has changed.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Sorry Jaenks, and no offense, but so far your experience is exactly that - an experience.
As it is often with TK, ask 10 employees, get 10 different answers.
I am still doubtful as you stated that previously your ticket number changed when applying the voucher and now (with the new process) it does not change anymore - well, my ticket number never changed when applying the voucher.
So while your experience is valuable here to better understand the potential new process - we need more feedback from other ELPL members until we know for certain that the process has changed.
My previous ticket(corporate) re-issuing is currently irrelevant, because now TK re-validates the upgrades of corp. tickets too. As I stated previously, currently TKs system does not allow re-validate the voucher upgrade, done by sales office and they must contact the HQ. From there they will receive the answer about "same day" voucher upgrade confirmation procedure. In my case, I was given also an explanation about the reason of change the usual procedure. When someone wants to get the confirmation about the recent procedure, the best way is ask it through sales office.IMHO
Of course that depends of their willingness to help with that just for information purpouses. I am sure that if there were any FT members who had dealt with the voucher upgrade recently, they would have posted the experience.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: TK miles and smiles
My previous ticket(corporate) re-issuing is currently irrelevant, because now TK re-validates the upgrades of corp. tickets too. As I stated previously, currently TKs system does not allow re-validate the voucher upgrade, done by sales office and they must contact the HQ. From there they will receive the answer about "same day" voucher upgrade confirmation procedure. In my case, I was given also an explanation about the reason of change the usual procedure. When someone wants to get the confirmation about the recent procedure, the best way is ask it through sales office.IMHO
Of course that depends of their willingness to help with that just for information purpouses. I am sure that if there were any FT members who had dealt with the voucher upgrade recently, they would have posted the experience.
Just to confirm the "old system" did not change, I have just upgraded 2 tickets from Madrid to Bali (the flights dates are july 2021) using the free upgr vouchers through my local sales office. I was told and assured nothing has changed regarding the upgrade procedure. Two days ago the flights on my TK app were in economy class and now they're in J class and we were able to select seats in the BC cabin.
Jaenks and SFOTraveler1984 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.