Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:38 pm

Thank you for your quick response! I had a feeling this would be the case. Do you know anything of arrival lounge for TK business passegners? Already bought the e-visa, as I thought we were going to be on the Bosphorus Experience, but now may have to settle for the morning sightseeing tour.

Once again, I would like to thanks everybody for posting the helpful information! Safe Travels!
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
One of the contract lounges "IGA Lounge" would open with the movement. During my visit, I have noticed that the SkyTeam Lounge was also ready. I think that these lounges would both offer access to major credit cards and Priority Pass.

However, construction is still going on in the Business Lounge which could be partially opened at that date but the Miles&Smiles Lounge seemed that it needed a lot of work when I visited the international departures hall this Tuesday. I have no idea about the Exclusive Lounge. Also there are no signs for the Arrival Lounge so I won't be able to comment on that until I see any signs about the lounge.

In my opinion, one of the three scenarios be followed,

1- The Business Lounge would be opened on 6 April and all passengers including Elites and Star Golds on all *A carriers would be admitted to this lounge until the Miles&Smiles Lounge is ready. Other *A carrier pax may be denied throughout the capacity problem.
2- The Business Lounge would open to service on 6 April and only admit Business Class passengers and Elite Plus passengers due to capacity reasons. Elite and Star Gold pax would be handed vouchers and other pax on other *A carriers would be auto-denied due to *A protocol permits denying other carriers' passengers due to several reasons including capacity. Meanwhile, other *A carriers would contract either the IGA Lounge or the SkyTeam Lounge.
3- None of the lounges would be ready and partially open after the movement. All eligible passengers would be handed meal vouchers.

For your first leg you would also eligible for a hotel but I am not sure if your route permits a free hotel stopover neither if the HotelIstanbul process would continue after the movement to Istanbul Airport.
As a TK Elite with a 6-hour layover soon, I do hope that your second scenario will not be the case 1 seems like the most reasonable to me, but then I can be biased lol
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Would be a shame if I miss out on seeing an iconic *A lounge when visiting IST late April, but I guess another excuse to fly TK in the future!

Any more info on the transport options? I arrive just after midnight so hope I won't be at the mercy of haggling taxi drivers....
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hotels at ISL

Are there any airport hotels yet at the new airport? How long should I allow from Old Town to the new airport when my flight is at 3 pm? It is a little scary at this point and I am thinking our last night should be closer to ISL. My TK flight is booked now to Rome from IST on April 29.

Thanks for helping us all out.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
I think there is just Yotel for now which is based at the airport. Around new airport there is no other hotels. Few weeks ago I googled how far is airport from the Bazaar and it was around one hour. Maybe ISTFlyer could help you with that because I don't have clue how much traffic is normaly on the way to the area where new airport is.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I think the (Radisson) Park Inn Odayeri is fairly close to the new airport, but their prices seemed high (they also moved it up a points category) when I most recently checked. The opposite of Ataturk with a wealth of hotel options at good prices.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by googs185
It's our first trip to Istanbul and one of the reasons we wanted to fly home in Business on TK was to experience what I've heard is the best lounge in the world.
It's an airport lounge. That's all it is. Whether it's the best in the world is debatable. I do not think it is.

In any case, a lounge is a place where you spend time before or between flights if you really can't think of anything better to do. A place to while away the time, not a destination to visit for its own sake. You can sit, eat, drink, shower, read, go online, maybe have a massage . . . all pretty mundane activities that can be enjoyed at a zillion other places. Lounges may offer them "for free", but the product quality is in most cases mediocre at best.

Having said that, opinions differ. If spending time in airport lounges is your thing, then by all means go for it.

Johan
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Karen2
Are there any airport hotels yet at the new airport? How long should I allow from Old Town to the new airport when my flight is at 3 pm? It is a little scary at this point and I am thinking our last night should be closer to ISL. My TK flight is booked now to Rome from IST on April 29.

Thanks for helping us all out.
Originally Posted by TM78
I think there is just Yotel for now which is based at the airport. Around new airport there is no other hotels. Few weeks ago I googled how far is airport from the Bazaar and it was around one hour. Maybe ISTFlyer could help you with that because I don't have clue how much traffic is normaly on the way to the area where new airport is.
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I think the (Radisson) Park Inn Odayeri is fairly close to the new airport, but their prices seemed high (they also moved it up a points category) when I most recently checked. The opposite of Ataturk with a wealth of hotel options at good prices.
The only hotel at the airport is the YOTEL ( both in airside and landside ) and the only hotel around the airport ( within 10 minutes ) is the Park Inn Odayeri which could only be accessible by taxis or private vehicles. AFAIK the Park Inn by Radisson does not offer a hotel shuttle for the moment.

I would suggest that you could stay in Movenpick Hotel 4.Levent which the Havaist shuttles depart across the road from the hotel. The Havaist shuttle costs ₺18 one way and it takes around 30 minutes from that stop to the airport. Also the road will not have traffic for a 15:00 flight. If you're looking for a more luxury hotel I would suggest that you stay in the Raffles Hotel in Zincirlikuyu where the Havaist bus would take 40 minutes and no traffic would be expected for a 15:00 flight.

Also if you decide to stick on your hotel on the Old Town, I would suggest that you take the Havaist bus from Yenikapı minimum 4 hours before your scheduled departure time. Probably your journey would take no longer than an hour but the route that the Yenikapı Havaist shuttle goes could be packed at any time of the day.

By the way, thank you TM78 for appreciating me.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ISTFlyer, 40 minutes from Raffles at 15:00? That may be what they are claiming, but I believe really really optimistic, even at that time?!?!?!? How does the bus go. Right now at 4:35 AM- on a Sunday night/Monday morning, and no traffic the estimate is 37 minutes!!! At Noon you are looking at possibly just 5 minutes to get on Buyukdere Cad, It could easily take 15 minutes to get to the TEM interchange before Maslak, and generally traffic would be pretty open to the D20 exit, and only take 5 minutes, You would then have to go D20 past Kemer, Gokturk, etc, which at that time could easily take 25 minutes, so at that time I would not count on it taking less than 50 minutes, and that is the slowest part of the day. As you know, when there is traffic, any time after 3PM, it could take you half an hour just to get to TEM, let alone anything else, and then you will start getting the commuter and school bus traffic!! Movenpick might be a bit better as it is AFTER the dreaded traffic lights at the end of Levent and the overpass, but still can be difficult getting up to TEM, etc.....
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
ISTFlyer, 40 minutes from Raffles at 15:00? That may be what they are claiming, but I believe really really optimistic, even at that time?!?!?!? How does the bus go. Right now at 4:35 AM- on a Sunday night/Monday morning, and no traffic the estimate is 37 minutes!!! At Noon you are looking at possibly just 5 minutes to get on Buyukdere Cad, It could easily take 15 minutes to get to the TEM interchange before Maslak, and generally traffic would be pretty open to the D20 exit, and only take 5 minutes, You would then have to go D20 past Kemer, Gokturk, etc, which at that time could easily take 25 minutes, so at that time I would not count on it taking less than 50 minutes, and that is the slowest part of the day. As you know, when there is traffic, any time after 3PM, it could take you half an hour just to get to TEM, let alone anything else, and then you will start getting the commuter and school bus traffic!! Movenpick might be a bit better as it is AFTER the dreaded traffic lights at the end of Levent and the overpass, but still can be difficult getting up to TEM, etc.....
Wednesday morning ( the 09:50 bus ) , it took 27 minutes from Istanbul Airport to 4. Levent and if there is no traffic between 4.Levent and Zincirlikuyu, that distance would maximum take 4-5 minutes. You're also right that some unexpected traffic could occur anytime during the day at that area but usually it's empty.
Our OP has his flight at 15:00 so he would probably leave around 11:00-12:30 but you're right about the traffic after 15:00. Of course, it would take around 1h-1h30min at 15:00 from Z.Kuyu to ISL.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you know, it is rarely the case that there is "no traffic" between 4.Levent and Z.Kuyu.......From the Movenpick, things are always bad by the traffic lights before Kanyon, then traffic generally is terrible for the next 800 meters or so (due to the wonderful planning permission of allowing three AVM's back to back-with other office buildings in between), generally opens up past Metrocity (when heading in that direction), but then gets bad with the Nispetiye onto Barbaros entrance, and then that 300 meters or so, to Z.Kuyu can take quite awhile (in rush hour as you know, it can take half an hour). The point being is that I do not doubt you, that 09:50 going in the direction that you went it took that amount of time (but I am impressed and you must have encountered no traffic and the guy must have been driving as fast as he was able to!) But had it been in the other direction at that time, it would have taken a lot longer. The funny thing is that the whole secondary tunnel projects Besiktas-Fulya-Levazim-Baltilimani (with a direct connection to TEM), were all of course supposed to have been opened by now which would have made all of this much easier, and ANOTHER reason why they should have delayed this whole thing. Anything which shifts traffic through Z.Kuyu is an absolute nightmare..........
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, thank you TM78 for appreciating me.
Your welcome. You were allready flying from new one and I thought you maybe allready know the situation with hotels and geting there. And you have a lot of insider news.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
I have contacted TK about the use of the CIP lounge in the weeks after the move, since I have a very intense few weeks of traveling ahead, going from 1 long haul to another one, passing IST (1 more and last time) & ISL many times in the next 2 months.

At the moment their international lounge isn't active and I have a strong feeling it won't be operational for the next weeks following the move.
In case it isn't, they are giving people vouchers (like someone here said earlier), but how does this work?
Do you get these vouchers at the original point of departure, or do you have to collect them at a certain point at ISL?
I have asked TK these questions as well but their answers have been very avoiding.

As a M&S elite+, it amazes me how they can always give you an answer without actually giving information.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headhunterke
I have contacted TK about the use of the CIP lounge in the weeks after the move, since I have a very intense few weeks of traveling ahead, going from 1 long haul to another one, passing IST (1 more and last time) & ISL many times in the next 2 months.

At the moment their international lounge isn't active and I have a strong feeling it won't be operational for the next weeks following the move.
In case it isn't, they are giving people vouchers (like someone here said earlier), but how does this work?
Do you get these vouchers at the original point of departure, or do you have to collect them at a certain point at ISL?
Yes they are giving two vouchers worth ₺35 ( total ₺70 ) for the moment. In all of my international flights from ISL, Istanbul Airport was my origin so I claimed the vouchers at the check-in desk. However, when I had a same day return from ECN, they were unable to print the lounge voucher for ECN which is a contract lounge. Probably you would need to contact one of the transfer desks or there would be dedicated desks for this issue. I imagine that more than 100.000 people would have the same issue so probably TK would have an idea.

You could use your vouchers in any of the food retail outlets in the international airside of the terminal. However, be aware that if you spend FE: ₺37 in one of the outlets, you either need to give two of your vouchers or give one of them and give ₺2 in cash/credit. Be aware that no change is given for voucher payments.

My next ISL departure flight would be on the second week of May so I won't be able to report the progress until then. However, there would be av-geeks reporting the situation in the first few days after the move.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I'm flying through Istanbul on April 17th (connecting from one long haul to another one) so I'll be able to report on the use of lounges, transfer process etc.

Kind of excited for the new airport but sad at the same time because no more Ataturk airport for me
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.