Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As you know, during the short period until the next movement date. Instead of 4x 738, 1x A320 and 1x A321; I have told previously that operations from ISL would be made with 4x A320, 1x 738 and 1x A321. However, it's strange to see more A321's instead of A320's.

Now, there are

1x Airbus A320 ( TC-JU* series )
2x Airbus A321 ( ex Kingfisher, TC-JM* series )
1x Airbus A321 ( 4 row J class configuration, TC-JR[M-],TC-JS[-M] series )
1x Airbus A321 ( 5 row J class configuration, TC-JS[N-], TC-JT* series )
1x Boeing 737-800 ( TC-JH[K-],JV*,JZ* series )

based in Istanbul Airport.

*The only Airbus A320 is mainly used in domestic routes, however, they could also be assigned to international routes depending on the density.
*The configuration of A321's could depend daily but TK mostly tries to use ex-Kingfisher A321's on domestic routes and the newer ones on international routes.
*I don't know why TK is only allowed to send 737's or smaller aircraft to Gatwick, but that is the reason why 1 Boeing 737-800 is based in ISL. I have also realized that TK operates from IST to LGW with the 170 seat 737-900ER configuration. ( If someone has further information about TK slots in Gatwick and the aircraft type restriction, I would appreciate it. )

In addition to this wide body test flights are cancelled for the moment and all wide body flights are reconverted to Airbus A321. Previously, the schedule was slightly changed for these wide body flights on the Ankara route as TK 2103 would be departing at 19:55 instead of 19:25 as wide body aircrafts needs extra time on the ground for mandatory checks and handling.

For 8 March, TK 2103 has been moved to a 19:25 departure instead of 19:55.
For 15, 22, 29 March the departure time is still 19:55, however, the aircraft is shown as an A321 and the seat map verifies the information.
This is an issue about the VDGS ( Visual Docking Guiding System ) which I have shared an interesting fact about it at the Istanbul Airport Master Thread that only the one in gate G2 works properly for wide-body aircraft. They are probably going to try docking wide-bodies to other parking positions after the issue is solved.

In addition, TK had updated their Istanbul Airport FAQ section that also indicates the movement date as 6 April 2019.

Next week, I am planning to fly ISL-ECN-ISL to test the new IGA Lounge and visit the A-B concourses that I haven't visited. I would also closely look at the progress at the Turkish Airlines Lounge's. I would share any information that I obtain here in this forum ( for TK related info ) and in the Istanbul Airport Master Thread ( for airport related info ).

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:06 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
I don't know if this is just because they chose to have a shorter description or indicative of no direct lounge access at the new airport but thought I'd share this page from SkyLife without mention of business class entrance at Ataruk.

As ricardojrsousa mentioned, it's true that there would be no direct lounge access to all 3 of the international lounges from the check-in area due to misplanning. There would be a dedicated priority lane for passport control and security but I don't think that there would be different lines for Elite Plus&Business and Elite&Star Gold. So, all passengers would be passing the central duty free area as there is one large checkpoint area for all international flights. However, I have heard rumors that there would be direct access to some of the lounges from the transfer area with a dedicated security lane, however, I don't know any information and I haven't noticed anything about this during my flights to/from ISL.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
One of the things I love about Lounge Istanbul at Ataturk is being able to go through Security and Immigration when entering the lounge from the far end of the check-in hall. That always feels special to me. It will be a shame if they can't re-create that at the new airport.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Same late April.... wanted to experience the famous lounge as a *A Gold. Or will the new lounges be even better?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
I am planning a trip SFO->IST in April and have a reservation on hold which still looks "good". However, I just noticed that for the same days, the flights which I have on hold are not bookable anymore. Looks like they cancelled a bunch of SFO flights, similar cancellations also for LAX and JFK. Looks like they are adjusting the schedule for the airport move? I am wondering why they cancel so many days, e.g. up until April 11 (well after the move).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I am planning a trip SFO->IST in April and have a reservation on hold which still looks "good". However, I just noticed that for the same days, the flights which I have on hold are not bookable anymore. Looks like they cancelled a bunch of SFO flights, similar cancellations also for LAX and JFK. Looks like they are adjusting the schedule for the airport move? I am wondering why they cancel so many days, e.g. up until April 11 (well after the move).
Playing it safe? If the move indeed goes ahead it will cause some hiccups for more than a day one presumes.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

I guess so... I am wondering what will happen if I go ahead and confirm the reservation which I currently have on hold. Would they outright cancel the reservation or would they rebook me on LH/UA/etc...
i am still very sceptical that the move happens in April...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I guess so... I am wondering what will happen if I go ahead and confirm the reservation which I currently have on hold. Would they outright cancel the reservation or would they rebook me on LH/UA/etc...
i am still very sceptical that the move happens in April...
I don't want to be pessimistic but it's true that if you buy that ticket, TK won't rebook you to any airline if your flight would be cancelled in advance. They would offer you to change your booking for free to another date or cancel without any charges. However, they might rebook you to another carrier if your flight would be cancelled last minute.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't want to be pessimistic but it's true that if you buy that ticket, TK won't rebook you to any airline if your flight would be cancelled in advance. They would offer you to change your booking for free to another date or cancel without any charges. However, they might rebook you to another carrier if your flight would be cancelled last minute.
I hope this is true...I'll need my flight cancelled as it's during the move!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
All those flights aren't cancelled - some are just sold out.

For the 2 day airport transition, TK needs to cancel 2 flights and reaccommodate those passengers on the following days flights. Therefore, they are proactively blocking sales on those flights..
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
In addition, TK had updated their Istanbul Airport FAQ section that also indicates the movement date as 6 April 2019.
I have a flight on April 6 to SIN. I'd be willing to bet 1:10 that I will be flying out of old IST airport or stranded.
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dabee69
I have a flight on April 6 to SIN. I'd be willing to bet 1:10 that I will be flying out of old IST airport or stranded.
TK had started to post this while completing a booking after payment.

Exact Translation: After the 6th of April 02:00, all flights scheduled from Atatürk Airport would be operated from Istanbul Airport, have a pleasant flight.

After my visit to ISL next week, I would be able to comment based on reality about the airport such as the credibility of the movement date, etc... As I mentioned before, I am intending to make an overnight ECN return trip in Business Class. I would report the progress in the appropriate forums here in FlyerTalk.
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not going to happen.........
binman and Ismilee like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:40 am

After my visit to ISL next week, I would be able to comment based on reality about the airport such as the credibility of the movement date, etc... As I mentioned before, I am intending to make an overnight ECN return trip in Business Class. I would report the progress in the appropriate forums here in FlyerTalk.
Please let us know - looking forward to this!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Flying into IST 27 apr, really hoping will hit the new airport....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.