Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:45 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

The thread for all your transfer at Istanbul airport (IST) questions.
yscleo, willbrook, TM78 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:03 am

Are there any hotels that offer a regular, free shuttle to/from the new airport for longer transit stops?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
Are there any hotels that offer a regular, free shuttle to/from the new airport for longer transit stops?
Durusu Hotel offers a free shuttle service to the airport. For more information about the shuttle, please contact them.
They are the only hotel that offers a free transfer service to the airport for the moment.

Also be aware that you might be eligible for a free hotel room depending on the route, airline, travel class and connection time. You could find more information about free stopover hotels at the respective thread.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Durusu Hotel offers a free shuttle service to the airport. For more information about the shuttle, please contact them.
They are the only hotel that offers a free transfer service to the airport for the moment.
I have a booking in September with the Park Inn in Odayeri for €65 but tonight I checked again for the same date and the price is now €110.

in the light of the comments about the free shuttle I also emailed the Durusu to see what they could offer. They answered very quickly offering me a room on the same date for €100 and quoted €20 euro for a one way transfer to/from the hotel.

I need to find out how much a taxi will be to the Park Inn.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Park Inn just had a sale under €90, though nonrefundable, I pulled the trigger, even with the prospect of not being able to leave departure area. Has anyone being able to leave the departure area (entering Turkey) so far?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
For those who look for a cheaper hotel option, I would suggest the Hampton by Hilton Kayaşehir which could be easily reached by the Havaist shuttle IST-15 ( ₺14 per direction = around $2.50 ) which stops just in the corner of the hotel after a 20 minute ride from Istanbul Airport. The average price for two people is $47-$53 per night. The Havaist shuttle IST-15 operates every 30 minute during the day and every 50 minute during the night. You would need to disembark at the first stop of the bus to reach this hotel. On the way back the bus coming from Bahçeşehir would pick you up at the same designated location shortly after it departs from Bahçeşehir ( first stop ).

I think this would be a cheaper and better option from the Durusu Hotel and maybe better than the Park Inn as well who want to avoid paying a taxi ( around ₺50 + toll ) one-way.

This idea is a courtesy of ISTFlyer to all FlyerTalk members and visitors
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:55 pm

I think this would be a cheaper and better option from the Durusu Hotel and maybe better than the Park Inn as well who want to avoid paying a taxi ( around ₺50 + toll ) one-way.

Thanks for this ISTFlyer.

As a further data point, Park Inn got back to me overnight to advise that a private car transfer from the airport would cost €25 each way.

That is very expensive for what they say is a six minute journey...

Last edited by CoweyB; Apr 9, 2019 at 3:09 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoweyB

Thanks for this ISTFlyer.

As a further data point, Park Inn got back to me overnight to advise that a private car transfer from the airport would cost €25 each way.

That is very expensive for what they say is a six minute journey...
Taxi to Park Inn or Durusu Hotel would never cost more than ₺50-₺60 one-way ( less than €10 ) . However, you might not find a taxi back from Durusu Hotel to the Airport. At Park Inn you might not but you have a better chance. They are trying to scam tourists or first time visitors who does not will to pay €200+ to the YOTEL at the airport for a night.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
For those who look for a cheaper hotel option, I would suggest the Hampton by Hilton Kayaşehir which could be easily reached by the Havaist shuttle IST-15 ( ₺14 per direction = around $2.50 ) which stops just in the corner of the hotel after a 20 minute ride from Istanbul Airport. The average price for two people is $47-$53 per night. The Havaist shuttle IST-15 operates every 30 minute during the day and every 50 minute during the night. You would need to disembark at the first stop of the bus to reach this hotel. On the way back the bus coming from Bahçeşehir would pick you up at the same designated location shortly after it departs from Bahçeşehir ( first stop ).

Also at the moment you only need 9000 HH points a night to redeem.

If you have a lot of HH points and know when you'd arrive for just overnight layover I'd try to book and lock in those cheap awards before it goes up.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Hi all, in the past we allways had short connections and we rarely bought anything at the shops or in the restaurants. We normaly paid with euros or with credit cards. Next month we have 8hrs between flights. Is it better to change euro to lira or it doesn't matter with which currency do you pay?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TM78
Hi all, in the past we allways had short connections and we rarely bought anything at the shops or in the restaurants. We normaly paid with euros or with credit cards. Next month we have 8hrs between flights. Is it better to change euro to lira or it doesn't matter with which currency do you pay?
For duty free shopping, keep euros; however, for food retail outlets Turkish lira might be better. However, the exchange office in the airport would offer really bad exchange rates that I would suggest that you use a credit cart if possible.

The duty free prices are based on Euros and the exchange rate for Turkish Lira is really bad; for the food outlets it would be the opposite.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
For duty free shopping, keep euros; however, for food retail outlets Turkish lira might be better. However, the exchange office in the airport would offer really bad exchange rates that I would suggest that you use a credit cart if possible.

The duty free prices are based on Euros and the exchange rate for Turkish Lira is really bad; for the food outlets it would be the opposite.
ISTFlyer thank you. We will do like that. It'll be better then changing money or paying for food in euros. I just saw one video on Youtube from IGA Istanbul airport about food court and it looks realy good. And in general looks very nice airport.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by TM78; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:17 pm

Thanks, ISTFlyer for this information!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:41 pm

Taxi to Park Inn or Durusu Hotel would never cost more than ₺50-₺60 one-way ( less than €10 ) . However, you might not find a taxi back from Durusu Hotel to the Airport. At Park Inn you might not but you have a better chance. They are trying to scam tourists or first time visitors who does not will to pay €200+ to the YOTEL at the airport for a night.
Many thanks for your insight ISTFlyer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Uber to/from the Park Inn?
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoweyB

Many thanks for your insight ISTFlyer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Uber to/from the Park Inn?
Even though Uber is active in Istanbul, they are operating illegally and if you get caught using an Uber by the police ( at the airport you definitely would, %95 ) you and the driver would both be subject to a fine so I won't suggest to use Uber in Turkey except their taxi product which is legal. However, you could use the taxi option at Uber on the way back which a yellow cab would come to pick up you up from the hotel.
nnanlno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.