Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
Hi all,

I couldn't find information for this for IST. The rule of thumb for international arrivals is 3 hours prior to departure, which means leaving the city four hours before flight. I'd like to squeeze in more time in Istanbul before we leave if possible. I have a 6pm-ish flight to Croatia and will be Turkish business class, so I understand I'll have fast track immigration. What is everyone's thoughts on maybe leaving an hour later (3pm). Will be a Monday if that matters for traffic. Not checking bags.

Thanks!
If you have no bags to check, arriving 1h30mins before departure would be highly enough and if you have bags, arriving 2h before departure would be enough.
If you are going to use a taxi to the airport, leaving for a 6pm flight at 3pm from the city would be highly enough.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you have no bags to check, arriving 1h30mins before departure would be highly enough and if you have bags, arriving 2h before departure would be enough.
If you are going to use a taxi to the airport, leaving for a 6pm flight at 3pm from the city would be highly enough.
Thanks! I set up a transfer through my hotel so I'm sure it won't be a problem to adjust. I figured it was a bit much on cushion. Appreciate the confirmation.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks! I set up a transfer through my hotel so I'm sure it won't be a problem to adjust. I figured it was a bit much on cushion. Appreciate the confirmation.
Just an advice that hotel transfers could be really expensive and tourist scams. I don't know where your hotel is located, however any amount over ₺200 is expensive for transportation to the airport.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For a 6PM departure in C/J I would aim at getting to the airport shortly before 5PM. Still plenty of time check-in, clear immigration and security checks and even for a short visit to the lounge.

I would leave it to the local guys in this thread to chip-in on how long a transfer/car ride from the city to the airport will/can take in the afternoon; but I assume an hour or slightly more.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just an advice that hotel transfers could be really expensive and tourist scams. I don't know where your hotel is located, however any amount over ₺200 is expensive for transportation to the airport.
I agree they certainly usually are and I'm sure mine is, even if they are using a luxury vehicle for pickup. The rate was way better than BlackLane. Things may have changed, but when I was in Istanbul 10 years ago there was a language gap, and since I'm in town for a short time I figured to avoid any issues by paying the premium. Usually I enjoy going about getting the local rate for transportation.

ETA: I saw a post you did before about Turkey accepting any PCR test (saliva/nasal). What I can't figure out is if Turkey would accept the Abbott ID NOW NAAT test. It seems like it wouldn't be acceptable because even though it is a NAAT, it may not be a PCR? This would make things way easier. The pharmacy Walgreens provides these near where I live. Any thoughts on that? You've been huge help, thanks and thanks to whomever else may know.

Last edited by Teddy Ruxpin; May 19, 2021 at 11:40 am
Old May 19, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree they certainly usually are and I'm sure mine is, even if they are using a luxury vehicle for pickup. The rate was way better than BlackLane. Things may have changed, but when I was in Istanbul 10 years ago there was a language gap, and since I'm in town for a short time I figured to avoid any issues by paying the premium. Usually I enjoy going about getting the local rate for transportation.

ETA: I saw a post you did before about Turkey accepting any PCR test (saliva/nasal). What I can't figure out is if Turkey would accept the Abbott ID NOW NAAT test. It seems like it wouldn't be acceptable because even though it is a NAAT, it may not be a PCR? This would make things way easier. The pharmacy Walgreens provides these near where I live. Any thoughts on that? You've been huge help, thanks and thanks to whomever else may know.
Unfortunately, a NAAT test wouldn't be accepted as it's not a PCR.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The majority of the World requires PCR tests, plain and simple. Regarding transfers I would go a bit farther that IST and say that anything up to 300TL for a decent car is ok, depending where you are coming from. The standard for a MB Vito is 150-200TL.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
The majority of the World requires PCR tests, plain and simple. Regarding transfers I would go a bit farther that IST and say that anything up to 300TL for a decent car is ok, depending where you are coming from. The standard for a MB Vito is 150-200TL.
Ya, it's "simple" until you see a PCR test referred to as a nucleic acid test. In any event, I'll just avoid it to be careful.

From the US CDC:NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:
  • Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Old May 20, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of countries in the World are NOT the Unites States, and other than a few small islands, none follow nor particularly care about CDC guidelines.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of countries in the World are NOT the Unites States, and other than a few small islands, none follow nor particularly care about CDC guidelines.
That seemed like a rather unnecessary and rude comment. The point of the CDC reference was to only show the confusion between NAAT and PCR for us laymen who aren't scientists.
​​​
gojko88 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Is the lounge open 24/7? Looking at a flight which gets me in from Bodrum at 01.30am and flight to JFK leaves at 7 am.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Is the lounge open 24/7? Looking at a flight which gets me in from Bodrum at 01.30am and flight to JFK leaves at 7 am.
Both the TK Domestic Lounge and the TK Miles&Smiles Lounge's at IST are open 24/7.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I'm going to have a J (revenue) ticket to CMB with TK on a tight connection. In the case of IROP, if I miss the connecting flight to CMB, I would not want to wait for the next available flight to CMB, which will be 2 days later.
Will TK take me free of charge to a different destination, such as BKK (take note that it's not the same IATA region) on their next available flight with availability in J?
It used to be so a few years ago, but I'm not sure what the latest regulation is.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I cam assure you that TK will not allow you to change your destination from CMB to BKK. You might be allowed to change to BOM or DEL (within same IATA region I believe) and MAYBE you will be able to persuade TK to add. on a non-TK segment from BOM or DEL to CMB; Air India has flights to CMB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.