Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Also no on card expedite. For what it's worth, once approved you will be able to use your passport in the Global Entry kiosks (at Pre-clearance leaving Canada or upon arrival in the US if coming from an airport without Pre-clearance) immediately, without waiting for the card.

Without a NEXUS card you wold have to use a regular lane for entry to Canada. Card typically takes about a week after approval to arrive.
Do you happen to have evidence of this? My card was recently in a stolen backpack, so I have re-applied, been conditionally approved, and awaiting the day of my interview. I can live with going to YYZ without Nexus for now, but my life would be greatly relaxed if I could use GE on the way out from YYZ.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bimmerm3m5
Do you happen to have evidence of this? My card was recently in a stolen backpack, so I have re-applied, been conditionally approved, and awaiting the day of my interview. I can live with going to YYZ without Nexus for now, but my life would be greatly relaxed if I could use GE on the way out from YYZ.
Nexus and GE are different programs, and the rules are different for each. Nexus is a joint Canada-US trusted traveler program, while GE is US-only.

Nexus requires you to carry your card with you to use. In the past, for air travel, you didn't have to show it most of the time, but were subject to have membership canceled if you are asked to produce it while using the kiosks. The new kiosks require you to enter the card (so I hear - haven't actually used them yet).

GE only requires your passport to use - there is no card required. Nexus members are given GE privileges (but AFAIK, don't officially have GE "membership"). You insert a passport into the maachine - in fact, many GE members don't have a card.

The trick in your case has to do with your current status. When one is approved at their interview, they can use GE right away, even before they receive a card, based on their Nexus membership being active. It probably depends on what the membership status is during the time you are waiting as a conditional approval, even though you were previously approved.

Probably best to call or visit a GE (or Nexus) office and ask them (US side, if a Nexus office) to check the status of your GE membership. That would be the most definitive answer you can probably get.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Nexus requires you to carry your card with you to use. In the past, for air travel, you didn't have to show it most of the time, but were subject to have membership canceled if you are asked to produce it while using the kiosks. The new kiosks require you to enter the card (so I hear - haven't actually used them yet).
Side comment - I hate the new Nexus machines. They are far slower to use, and more finicky. I suppose one way to look at the new setup as a plus, is that it also prevents those who forgot to bring their cards from using the machines...which in theory might avoid the problem of not being able to produce a card during a random check.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bimmerm3m5
Side comment - I hate the new Nexus machines. They are far slower to use, and more finicky.
Well now that is interesting. The one and only time I tried using a NEXUS machine (the old one, at YVR) I cancelled it halfway through and took myself, my wife, and kids over to the regular line (with the automated passport scanner) that was much faster than NEXUS check-in. If the new NEXUS machines are even slower then I doubt I'll ever try to use them again.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
In my experience, I'm done with the new NEXUS machines in less than 60 seconds (used three times so far). Not sure if that is "slower" than the old machines (which I used exactly once) but I certainly don't consider the new machines to be slow by any stretch.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
In my experience, I'm done with the new NEXUS machines in less than 60 seconds (used three times so far). Not sure if that is "slower" than the old machines (which I used exactly once) but I certainly don't consider the new machines to be slow by any stretch.
+1

Just used the new machines for the first time on Sunday. Like you, it look less than 60 seconds. Found if I just looked into the camera and moved closer and closer until the dot turned green, it snapped a picture and I was pretty much good to go. My wife was able to get a capture even faster.

All in all, it went great. Can't say it was any better than the old machines (never had a problem with them, other than being down).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:45 pm

Are these the new machines?

My wife and I used NEXUS at YYZ on Dec. 12th. Two of the 3 machines were not working and the third was slow (20+ people in the line). We had to insert our NEXUS cards to get started so I think this is the new machine. It was not clear how to insert the card as the slot was too wide. Anyway we finally got it right and after that the iris scan was faster than the old machines. Reliability of the new machines seems to be a problem. They did not seem to be "brand new" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:51 am

i was conditionally approved for nexus but the next available day at pearson isnt for a long time. how do I go about trying to get an earlier day? should I try calling them?

assuming that this can only be done online: which page should I continue to refresh? the "monthly" view of, lets say, january? or is there a separate page that would recognize cancellations faster?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zer0k1
i was conditionally approved for nexus but the next available day at pearson isnt for a long time. how do I go about trying to get an earlier day? should I try calling them?

assuming that this can only be done online: which page should I continue to refresh? the "monthly" view of, lets say, january? or is there a separate page that would recognize cancellations faster?
There's no separate page for cancellations. Just use the GOES system to "change my appointment" (or words to that effect) and you'll see an updated availability. If the new date works for you, choose it, otherwise simply log out and try the next day.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ffsim
There's no separate page for cancellations. Just use the GOES system to "change my appointment" (or words to that effect) and you'll see an updated availability. If the new date works for you, choose it, otherwise simply log out and try the next day.
Indeed. It may also help to search a couple different times a day to see if anything opened up. Trying once a day may be less successful than trying it out two or three times in the course of a day. This seems to work better for more near-term appointment selection.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:00 pm

thanks for the info. fingers crossed
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1

I did it a year and a half ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but there were two pages I would flip between (one had the next available appointment, then I would click back to another page, then click on the one that gave me the next appointment again). I did this for maybe 5-10 minutes continuously and was able to get an appointment that was ~1 week away. Did this for myself and my wife.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ok...used the new Nexus machines at T1 YYZ yesterday. What a PITA. Seems like the government had way too much input into the design of the machines.

My card was read quickly, but the fact that you have to enter it into a deep, what I would call a kind of black hole, before it will read it is ridiculous. I'd be surprised if they're not seeing a rash of cards left behind these days, since you can't actually see the card once you've placed it in the machine.

I took it out before the iris scan (not sure if you are supposed to do that or wait until after the process is complete, but if the latter, even more reason to think that many might leave their cards behind. It wasn't so difficult for the camera to take the picture, per say, and like the orange light turning to green when you're in the right position much better now. However, after each try, it didn't recognize me, and on the third, said I wasn't a member. Ok. So went over to the next machine, and put the card in, and it took another two tries on the iris scan to get it to work. Once there, went quick.

Wish the Canadian folks would get together with the US folks (it is a joint program, isn't it?) and design a common machine for entry into either country. Is that too much to ask? I know it is...technically using GE into the US, but still. <end rant>
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:18 am

(First Post) Looking for some advice/help for a trip I am making to Canada this summer. This will be my first time traveling to Canada via air, I have crossed the border via car many times. I get nervous when traveling by air, it will probably be worse for me now having customs to clear, so any hints/walkthru to make the process easier helps. I will be traveling alone.

I have a Nexus card without the iris scan, global entry and a US passport.

I will be traveling from MSP to YYZ to YYG.

1. Do I have to fill out a customs form on the plane when traveling from MSP to YYZ?

2. Can I use the Global entry Kisok when I get to YYZ from MSP to go thru Canadian customs? I don't think I can use the nexus kiosk because I don't have my iris scan? Can I get the iris scan while I am in the Toronto airport (walk-in)? If they don't have global entry kiosks, do I just get in line with everybody else?

3. How long does it take to get thru Canadian customs in YYZ ? Is 1.5 hours between flights enough time? Is it less time if I don't check a bag?

4. Returning to the US, do I clear customs in YYZ or MSP? Can I use Global entry kisok?

5. Is there a difference between the global entry kiosks and nexus kiosks?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kstan54
(First Post) Looking for some advice/help for a trip I am making to Canada this summer. This will be my first time traveling to Canada via air, I have crossed the border via car many times. I get nervous when traveling by air, it will probably be worse for me now having customs to clear, so any hints/walkthru to make the process easier helps. I will be traveling alone.

I have a Nexus card without the iris scan, global entry and a US passport.

I will be traveling from MSP to YYZ to YYG.

1. Do I have to fill out a customs form on the plane when traveling from MSP to YYZ?

2. Can I use the Global entry Kisok when I get to YYZ from MSP to go thru Canadian customs? I don't think I can use the nexus kiosk because I don't have my iris scan? Can I get the iris scan while I am in the Toronto airport (walk-in)? If they don't have global entry kiosks, do I just get in line with everybody else?

3. How long does it take to get thru Canadian customs in YYZ ? Is 1.5 hours between flights enough time? Is it less time if I don't check a bag?

4. Returning to the US, do I clear customs in YYZ or MSP? Can I use Global entry kisok?

5. Is there a difference between the global entry kiosks and nexus kiosks?

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to FT!

1. Yes

2. Global Entry is used to enter the US only; there are no Global Entry kiosks when entering Canada. You can't use the Nexus kiosks since your iris scans aren't on file, but you might want to ask a CBSA agent if you can use the crew line. I don't see this as being a problem, but just ask first. If they don't allow you to use the crew line, then yes, you'll stand in line with everyone else. As for getting an iris scan done, they typically allow walk-ins but I don't know how long the process will take -- you might not have enough time during your layover.'

3. You should be fine with 1.5 hours, but it'll be tight if you're not able to use the crew line. Keep in mind you'll have to re-clear security before taking your flight to YYG, but since you have a Nexus card that should be pretty quick.

4. You use a Global Entry kiosk in YYZ to clear customs on your way back to MSP.

5. Yes. The Global Entry ones are a pleasure to use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.