FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:54 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kstan54
(First Post) Looking for some advice/help for a trip I am making to Canada this summer. This will be my first time traveling to Canada via air, I have crossed the border via car many times. I get nervous when traveling by air, it will probably be worse for me now having customs to clear, so any hints/walkthru to make the process easier helps. I will be traveling alone.

I have a Nexus card without the iris scan, global entry and a US passport.

I will be traveling from MSP to YYZ to YYG.

1. Do I have to fill out a customs form on the plane when traveling from MSP to YYZ?

2. Can I use the Global entry Kisok when I get to YYZ from MSP to go thru Canadian customs? I don't think I can use the nexus kiosk because I don't have my iris scan? Can I get the iris scan while I am in the Toronto airport (walk-in)? If they don't have global entry kiosks, do I just get in line with everybody else?

3. How long does it take to get thru Canadian customs in YYZ ? Is 1.5 hours between flights enough time? Is it less time if I don't check a bag?

4. Returning to the US, do I clear customs in YYZ or MSP? Can I use Global entry kisok?

5. Is there a difference between the global entry kiosks and nexus kiosks?

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to FT!

1. Yes

2. Global Entry is used to enter the US only; there are no Global Entry kiosks when entering Canada. You can't use the Nexus kiosks since your iris scans aren't on file, but you might want to ask a CBSA agent if you can use the crew line. I don't see this as being a problem, but just ask first. If they don't allow you to use the crew line, then yes, you'll stand in line with everyone else. As for getting an iris scan done, they typically allow walk-ins but I don't know how long the process will take -- you might not have enough time during your layover.'

3. You should be fine with 1.5 hours, but it'll be tight if you're not able to use the crew line. Keep in mind you'll have to re-clear security before taking your flight to YYG, but since you have a Nexus card that should be pretty quick.

4. You use a Global Entry kiosk in YYZ to clear customs on your way back to MSP.

5. Yes. The Global Entry ones are a pleasure to use